Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rfn Arthur Edwin Waite 2Bn Rifle Brig d 9/2/1916

christine liava'a

The following is an extract from the display in the Museum at Fromelles:

When war broke out, Arthur Waite was just an ordinary, fun-loving fifteen year old, working at the local Cornet Screw Stopper Works in Bexley Heath, Kent. He was also a keen member of the Boys Brigade where he excelled at shooting on the local rifle range. His father, Joseph, had died when Arthur was eleven years old and a few years later his mother, Sarah, remarried.

Arthur’s stepfather, Frederick Dinmore, enlisted in September 1914 and was posted to the 12th Battalion, Rifle Brigade. Arthur was desperate to join him, but his mother refused to let him go. Eventually she gave her permission and Arthur enlisted on 15th February 1915, giving a false age of eighteen years, rather than his true age of fifteen. Following eight months of training he was posted to the 2nd Battalion, Rifle Brigade, arriving in France on 6th October 1915 and joining the Battalion a few days later.

Arthur spent the following four months supporting the firing line in the Fromelles and Rue du Bois area, during which time he qualified as a Signaller, First Class. Despite being far from his home and loved ones, Arthur’s letters show that he managed to maintain a bright and optimistic attitude, even during the Christmas period of 1915 when, by chance, the 2nd Battalion were relieved in the trenches by the 12th Battalion, a member of which was Arthur’s stepfather, Fred. Arthur had high hopes of being able to meet up with Fred, but it seems unlikely that this would have happened.

On the afternoon of 9th February 1916, an enemy shell exploded in the British trench being held by the 2nd Battalion Rifle Brigade. Two men were killed. One was twenty-three year old Rifleman Edward Walmsley from Warrington, Lancashire – the other was Arthur. He was just sixteen.

Arthur and Rifleman Walmsley were buried the next day in adjoining graves at the Rue du Bois Military Cemetery. In a letter to Arthur’s mother, a lieutenant in his company wrote that her son’s death had been instantaneous and enclosed Arthur’s cap badge as a keepsake. She also received letters from Arthur’s friends, one writing “He suffered no pain and you may glory in the fact that, though young, he lived and died like a British soldier and a man”. Another wrote “His life is not wasted, but offered in the cause of freedom and right. He will always be remembered as a good comrade and a good soldier”.

• 11 months later...

Another year has gone by.

RIP - Arthur

Victoria - after the death of my mother, I now own Arthur's cap badge you spoke of and plan to take it over to the museum so that it can go with his display.

Another year gone and their memory lives on.

We will not forget them :poppy:

Mark

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have just read your moving tributes to your Uncle that are fascinating and have visited his gave on a number of occasions.

I am researching the boys killed in northern France who were under 18 for a book I am putting together. Your uncle is included and wondered if there was anything that you would be prepared to share that I could include in tribute to him?

If you would prefer to contact me by email, please contact me at remembering@btinternet.com

• 11 months later...

Another year passes, where has it gone? I intend to visit Fromelle this year and of cause visit Arthurs grave.

Arthur Waite - RIP