Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rfn Arthur Edwin Waite 2Bn Rifle Brig d 9/2/1916

christine liava'a

Remembering Today- the correct version

Rfn Arthur Edwin WAITE, 5844 2 Bn, Rifle Brigade who died on 09.02.16 Rue-du-Bois Military Cemetery, France

Name: WAITE, ARTHUR EDWIN

Initials: A E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Rifle Brigade

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 09/02/1916

Service No: 5844

Additional information: Son of Sarah Dinmore (formerly Waite), of Railway Restaurant, Catford Bridge, Catford, London, and the late J. R. Waite.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. C. 30.

Cemetery: RUE-DU-BOIS MILITARY CEMETERY, FLEURBAIX

Cemetery: RUE-DU-BOIS MILITARY CEMETERY, FLEURBAIX

Locality: Pas de Calais

Location Information: The village of Fleurbaix is approximately 5 kilometres south-west of Armentieres and Rue-du-Bois Military Cemetery is 3 kilometres south-west of the village.

The village was in Allied hands during the greater part of the war but it was captured by the Germans on 9 April 1918 after a very gallant defence by the 12th Suffolks. It remained within the German lines until the following September. The original Rue-du-Bois Cemetery, now comprising Plot I and Rows A and B of Plot II, was begun in November 1914 and used until December 1916. It was reopened in January 1918, and again in October. The majority of the graves were Australian, and Plot I, Row B, contained the graves of 27 soldiers of the 5th Australian Division who died in the Attack at Fromelles (19-20 July 1916). The cemetery was enlarged after the Armistice when graves were brought in from the surrounding battlefields and from certain small cemeteries. Rue-du-Bois Cemetery now contains 844 Commonwealth burials and commemorations of the First World War. 395 of the burials are unidentified but there are special memorials to 13 casualties known or believed to be buried among them. There is also one German grave. The cemetery was designed by Sir Herbert Baker.

No. of Identified Casualties: 450

From SDGW

Born-Deptford,Kent

Enlisted-Woolwich,Kent

Residence-Bexley Heath,Kent.

Killed in Action F&F.

1901 Census- 29 Clyde Street Deptford London

Father-Joseph R Waite 27,Engineers Fitter,born Cumberland Workington

Mother-Sarah Waite 24,born Cumberland Cockermouth.

Arthur is recorded as being 1 year old and has no brothers or sisters.

Regards Doug.

Aged 16. Has'nt Richard van Emden of Testimony films been commissioned by Channel 4 to produce a documentary on underage boys who served in the Great War? If he is then young Arthur Waite's story should probably be included.

Jimmy

Noting that young Arthur's father was dead, and his mother remarried, I wondered if his father had also been killed in the war, (he would have been in his 40s) but can't find any reference to a Joseph R Waite in CWGC

• 2 weeks later...

Arthur Edwin Waite was my uncle, I have some information about Arthur and his family. I also have some letters he sent from France, one 2 weeks before he was killed.

Well, I think you are the first to have an actual relative remembered!

Can you add any extra information? Did his father die in the war too?

Were there other children after 1901?

My uncle Arthur, when he was killed in 1916 had one brother and two sisters and one 1/2 sister (my mother). His step father Frederick John Dinmore, as far as I can tell, spent the entire time in the war, very close to Arthur. I think this was the reason for Arthur wanting to join up and why he lied about his age, he wanted to join Fred.

Arthurs father Joseph, died before the war (possibly cancer) and his step father died at the age of 48 from TB.

• 11 months later...

My uncle Arthurs anniversary is coming up on the 9th of February. I thought I would let you all know that we have in the family, letters from the King etc, medals and even the form he signed where he lied about his age, stamped Attested.

I am hoping to visit his grave sometime this year with my cousin.

Mick,

Just a little note for you on the 2nd in this time period in case it is of any use. The Regimental records state the following:

January 196, Movements of Battalions

The 2nd Battalion was training near Aire, until the second week of the month, when it returned to the line at Fleurbaix, remaining there in and out of the trenches until the end of March. "Beyond the usual sniping and patrol activity no event of importance happened."

Unfortunately, I do not have this war dairy but in my experience with the RB's, prior to 1st July 1916 a lot of information on individuals is recorded in the war dairies.

Andy

Hi Andy

Thanks for the info, where would I be able to see the war diaries? and what would I ask for, as I'm very low on detail etc.

Regards

Mick

Mick,

The war Dairies are available at the National Arhive, Kew under the WO95 series.

Andy

• 11 months later...

It will soon be time to remember Arthur again (9th) after another year. I am hoping to visit his grave this year. Unfortunately I was too late to get Arthur mentioned in Richards film or book.

Last year seemed to flash by, I never even got to go to Kew to look in the war diaries, I'm going to make an effort this year.

• 5 months later...

Hi Mick,

The 2/Rifle Brigade is my area of interest and I shall be out in the Fromelles area for a few days from this weekend. I wondered if you had managed to get a photo of Arthur's grave? If not, let me know by Saturday morning and I'll happily see to that for you (not quite the same as visiting there yourself, I know).

V.

Hi Mick,

The 2/Rifle Brigade is my area of interest and I shall be out in the Fromelles area for a few days from this weekend. I wondered if you had managed to get a photo of Arthur's grave? If not, let me know by Saturday morning and I'll happily see to that for you (not quite the same as visiting there yourself, I know).

V.

Yes please, incoming Email.

• 2 months later...

Just for the record, I would like to thank Victoria Burbridge for all her kindness and help she has given me in my efforts in finding out about Arthur Waite. Through Victoria's efforts, Arthur may even be remembered in a museum in France.

Many thanks V

Mick,

Thank you for your kind words, but as I said before, it was an absolute pleasure to be of assistance and I thank you for sharing with me the photographs and documents and, in particular, Arthur’s letters. Together these will make a wonderful exhibit for the museum in Fromelles.

V.

• 3 months later...

Its Arthurs anniversary tomorrow, can't wait for his display in the french museum, so I can go and visit.

Arthur RIP

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Yesterday, I managed to visit Arthurs grave and the area in which he was killed. This would not have been possible without the help of Victoria and Martial, thank guys.

• 8 months later...

Hi Mick,

Will be thinking of Arthur tomorrow.

Andy