Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Provost Marshall.

armourersergeant

Its porbably a stupid question , and yes i have searched the main sight but i can not see anything that relates to my question.

I am studying a note from the provost marshall of 1st Army at Loos in sept 1915 and it has got me wondering what qualifications would he have , or how would he have come to that rank. Is it just another staff appointment or would a particular branch or corps deal with this matter. It seems like a key area, especially in 21st divs case and I am wondering how qualified he would have been in traffic control.

regards

Arm.

As an ex-Military Policeman I can say that now officers go through the ranks of the RMP(AGC) in progression. However I believe that the actor Victor McLaglan rose from Private soldier in the Boer war to be the Provost Marshall at the end WW1 in Palestine. So I belive that it must be an appointment, as he was an infantry man.

As ususal I stand to be corrected.

Paul.

Paul,

You're quite right. There are, as it were, two sorts of Provost Marshall. There is the Staff appointment of "Provost Marshall" along with junior grades of Deputy, Assistant and Deputy Assistant. They are not active policemen but responsible for administration of military law and military police work within the formation.

Guy

Until WW2 there were no direct entry MP officers, Victor was PM of Baghdad. Provost Marshal is a very, very old appointment, older than the Army by far.

There is a history of the appointment called "Bloody Provost" which your library should be able to get for you.

Thanks for all the replies.

I am trying to get a feel for what was a critical job during the advance of the reserve at Loos in 1915. I get the impression that Provost was a little wanting but then all staff positions were alittle wanting at Loos!!

ta

Arm.

I have the same for men in the AIF in Egypt.

One officer (Lt) just off the boat with a little pre war Milita training in Australia was made a APM in Cairo and as T/Maj. He remained in that postison for three months then went back to a line unit as a Lt again.

There was a well know Boer War VC winner who was PM in Cairo for the aussies who gained his appiontment because of his medal and rank having come from the Service Corps. He remained in that postion for most of the war.

S.B

• 4 weeks later...
Until WW2 there were no direct entry MP officers, Victor was PM of Baghdad. Provost Marshal is a very, very old appointment, older than the Army by far.

There is a history of the appointment called "Bloody Provost" which your library should be able to get for you.

It wasnt until 1954 that an officer could be directly commissioned into the Corps...The first Officer of the Corps...proper...to be appointed Provost Marshal(Army) was Brigadier R Davenport......this was as late as 1969!Since then all of his successors have been "Real" Corps Officers......

Alan