Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hood Battalion, R.N.V.R.

Chris Noble

On formation of the Royal Naval Volunteer reserve in 1903, five divisions were established, i believe, Bristol, London, Tyne, Mersey and Clyde.

Local lad, Able Seaman J.G. Miles, R.N.V.R. Hood Batttalion, Bristol Z352, died, 24/2/17, age 18. Buried, Cologne Southern Cemetery, commemorated, Wetherby memorial, West Yorks.

I guess the prefix to his service number denotes a shore based training establishment?

Regards, Chris

The prefix indicates that he entered the Bristol, Birmingham and Leicester Division after 31 August 1914.

To clarify the RNVR prefix system:

The 1st letter indicates the division (e.g. B, E etc.) and the Z indicates enlistment during the Great War as per Jeff's posting.

Jeff,

I wasn't aware that Leicester and Birmingham were covered by the B prefix. I would have thought that a Birmingham individual would have had an E prefix and served with the Birmingham Electrical Volunteers. Could you please post some more details on RNVR establishments in Birmingham and Leicester?

best rgds,

Alex.

Cheers guys for the info.

Yes Bob, your correct.

CWWGC commemorates him as died as P.O.W.

There seems to have been a concentration of R.N. burials from the area of Aachen after the war into this cemetery.

Begs to ask the question. Was he captured in the actions on the Ancre 16/17?

Probably never know.

Regards, Chris.