Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt John Black

spoons

Hi - this is a totally new area for me, so advice please.

I have come across a grave in Troqueer, Dumfries to Sgt John Black 1/5th KOSB who died on 19th January 1920 aged 27. He is listed on the war memorial at Morton (Thornhill) where he was born. He is not entered on CWGC or the Scottish National War Memorial.

Here is his death registry entry from Scotlands People. Cause of death is given as Phthisis (TB). I cannot make out his rank or profession.

No luck online trying to find service record, pension record or MIC.

Could this be a non-commemoration? If so, where do I go next?

\Spoons

post-16685-1206911526.jpg

Hi Spoons,

I know nothing about the registration of deaths in Scotland but it seems to me that the information shown is essentially that which you would get on a formal Death Certificate. If so, then it makes no mention of him being discharged from the army or being an Army Pensioner so I would guess that you don't really have a case (rightly or wrongly) for submitting this man as a non-commemoration: there is just no official documentation to substantiate the claim.

Best wishes.

Andy.

I'm with Andy. Unless you can find his service papers which can confirm some link to the TB being contracted whilst serving, then there is no case for commemoration.

John

Thanks both for your advice. I have been sent the following from a correspondant.

"Sergeant 642, John Black, 1/5th KOSB

Pre-war territorial, enlisted 1910

Served at Gallipoli, landed 6th June 1915 with original contingent

Invalided home, sick (date not known)

Discharged (xvi), no longer fit for military service (sickness) in November 1915 (so obviously quite seriously ill to have been discharged so quickly)"

IF I can get documents to show this and IF his sickness at invaliding was Pthisis (TB), do you think that might make it worth submitting?

\Spoons