Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Desmond7 Podcast 2

jnorthall

And see tail end of 'Podcast Possibility' for associated pics.

• 2 weeks later...

You may have hit a substantial nail on the head very effectively Ulsterlad ... the use of the word podcast may be putting some off even trying! Marketing is everything!! Over and out. Good point.

A podcast is a series of digital-media files which are distributed over the Internet using syndication feeds for playback on portable media players and computers. The term podcast, like broadcast, can refer either to the series of content itself or to the method by which it is syndicated; the latter is also called podcasting. The host or author of a podcast is often called a podcaster.

Definition care of Wikipedia.

Perhaps "broadcast" would span the generations?

My reading of the issue is that there is a perception that 'podcast' is attached to the younger generation.

Anyone care to agree / disagree? ;)

Why would it being called a podcast put people off? Am I being thick?

Answer first question only please.

regards

Arm

Ps second installment really good, keep up the good work

Why would it being called a podcast put people off? Am I being thick?

I thought that podcasts were only for use on iPods !! Am I wrong? (That's a serious question, by the way)

I hadn't bothered pursuing this or podcast #1 because I thought that I couldn't use them, what with me still playing LP's.

Arm - until my daughter (who is MASSIVELY spoiled) got two (count 'em) iPods for Xmas, I would never have considered bothering with something labelled 'podcast' .. now, I would have looked at 'download' ...

See where I'm coming from? Therefore people see Pod and consider you actually need a 'pod' to play it?

BTW, I liberated the mega-pod for myself from daughter's grubby clutches. She just wanted the wee pink one with her name on it. Cos it was cooler.

And I used tobe happy with an Action Man outfit!

Your honour. Mr. Nulty. My case is closed. :lol:

Aah I understand you. Never understood what a podcast was technically but did know I could download one and have done so in the past, but then I have an inquisitive mind and poke my nose in all sorts of places just for the hell of it.

Now action man, thats a completely different story.

regards

Arm

Des,

Enjoying the 2nd podcast, keep it up great work.

Andy

Am I being thick?

..........so difficult not to answer :wacko: ..................must resist :wacko: ......................there the moment has passed

OK - If you are sitting comfortably?

YOU DON'T NEED AN IPOD TO LISTEN TO DES'S <<INSERT YOUR OWN PHRASE HERE>> !!!! :D

In all seriousness, if there are people who want to listen and don't know what to do, then send me a PM!

No, I don't - or didn't - know what a podcast is, and yes the word did put me off even wanting to know, and no I don't have anything I could see (listen to?) it on, and no I don't use my PC to download music, radio, films or TV, so what am I missing out on?

If you have a PC which is remotely modern you should have a windows media player - obviously you would also need some form of speakers. What you're missing in terms of what the 'podcast/download' contains is a first attempt at an audio history related to WW1 and an Irish town. Obviously, this will strike a chord with some and not with others. I put a bit of work into it. JRN was on engineering duties and logistic support. Chris Baker plays host.

Try it. You may like it. Then again, you may not.

I personally think that there are many members of this forum who could command a sizeable podcast audience.

Pmaasz - if you follow the link here and click on podcast 1, it should start playing audio once downloaded. This will probably be via Windows Media Player or RealPlayer. If it doesn't, you can download Media Player from here.

A podcast is a series of digital-media files which are distributed over the Internet using syndication feeds for playback on portable media players and computers. The term podcast, like broadcast, can refer either to the series of content itself or to the method by which it is syndicated; the latter is also called podcasting. The host or author of a podcast is often called a podcaster.

Definition care of Wikipedia.

Perhaps "broadcast" would span the generations?

My reading of the issue is that there is a perception that 'podcast' is attached to the younger generation.

Anyone care to agree / disagree? ;)

Eh, sonny?

Will it be coming out on a wax cylinder any time soon?

<Holds ear trumpet to computer speaker>

Topics for podcasts ... some I would like to hear!

'Labour of Love' - Charles Messenger reflects on the process of writing his 'magnum opus' on the British Army in WW1

'Somme thing new?' - Peter Hart explains why there is always something new to be written about the Battle of the Some (despite the plethora of printed works)

Confessions of a Battlefield Tour Guide - Paul Reed examines the growth in popularity of battlefield touring, the benefits for the local economy and refelcts on the first Great War pilgrimages.

Baker's Shop - Webmaster Chris Baker relates the story of how the GWF came into being and muses on why it has maintained momentum.

'Just a diversion?' - Bmac relates the story of Gommecourt on 1st July 1916.

'Dig in' - Martin Brown of No Mans Land on Great War Archaeology .. the methods, the madness and the mud.

and there's more.

And yes, you can download the 'podcasts' direct to your computer and play them through your speakers. You DO NOT have to purchase an iPod. End of. Innit.

I listen both on the pc through the speakers and I have put them on my mp3 player so that I can listen on the bus on the way into town in a morning.

No. 3 is eagerly awaited here in the Ards!

By the way, I saw the top of Helen's Tower today for the first time in years, the trees must have been getting a trim or the wind has brought a bit down.

Nigel

After technical advice from yer man Desmondo, I downloaded both to my USB stick and last night I copied them to the hard drive in the “infotainment” system in my new car (Dodge Avenger 2.0 SXT, by the way) :D

Then in the daily crawl along the M62 I had the pleasure of listening to two high quality broadcasts which certainly made a change from the usual drivel on the radio.

I have PM’d Des to say that I was quite taken with the different approach to the two recordings; the first discussing the socio-political background to recruitment in Ulster (big words from a raggy-arsed kid from Prescot, eh?) while the second focussed on the movements of the troops in France, drawing heavily (and interestingly) on the war diaries.

Overall, I am really impressed by the quality and content that Des has provided us with and I would strongly recommend that if you haven’t already done so, then you download them as soon as you can and enjoy them.

If you don’t, by the way, you will also miss out on Des’ beautiful pronunciation of the names of numerous French towns and villages :D

I'm really looking forward to any future work. Well done Blackadder !!!!!

No. I am waiting until I get a HUGE offer to do voice-overs for the speaking clock.

As for you Stingray Girl .. you could do your own on WW1 literature and verse ... and how to enthuse the 'orrible creatures which infest our schools on such matters.

And that's only the teachers :lol:

• 2 weeks later...