Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Trench Raider" Iron Cross

BeppoSapone

Someone in New Zealand is selling what they claim is a British made iron cross - on ebay, item 2223604736

They say: "This is a rare "pig iron cross" used by the british for propoganda perposes during ww1. These were given to raiding parties to drop in enemy trenches to demorolise the german troops when they returned to their trenches to collect their fallen comrades. They are cast from iron and have a derogitory message on them. This rare item was purchased from an ww1 vets estate over 30 years ago".

Anyone know anything about this?

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Tony,

New one on me! I have seen several crudely cast Iron Crosses before but these were made at the end of WW2, when raw materials were in short supply and the degree of craftsmanship poor.

In addition what would dropping an Iron Cross in a German trench after a raid achieve?

I would have thought they wouldn't be found as they would be trodden into the mud/earth before daybreak!

Ian

Guest Jeff Floyd

There were a number of propaganda Iron Crosses made during the war, usually made from captured German equipment or ships that had been taken. They were sold commercially in the UK for fund-raising by various organizations. I've never run into any reference that they were "issued" for trench raids.

Probably the most commonly seen version is a simple cross with "For Kultur" or "Fur Kultur".

Someone in New Zealand is selling what they claim is a British made iron cross - on ebay, item 2223604736

They say: "This is a rare "pig iron cross" used by the british for propoganda perposes during ww1. These were given to raiding parties to drop in enemy trenches to demorolise the german troops when they returned to their trenches to collect their fallen comrades. They are cast from iron and have a derogitory message on them. This rare item was purchased from an ww1 vets estate over 30 years ago".

Anyone know anything about this?

I am adding the picture of the item to this thread. This is for archive purposes, as ebay only retain details of auctioned items for a few months.

post-23-1076325346.jpg