Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who are they? Any help appreciated.

Alastair

I would really appreciate it if anyone had any idea who these four are (probably officers from the 7th Scottish Rifles). The photograph was sent as a postcard just before the battalion sailed for Gallipoli and it may well be that some, if not all, died at the Battle of Gully Ravine just over two weeks after they arrived. I believe that my great-uncle is seated with a towel on his shoulder but cannot be 100% sure.

post-18385-1206220310.jpg

Alastair

It might open a door or two if you posted your Uncle's name !

Sod's law dictated that I should return my Library book yesterday,entitled "British Regiments at Gallipoli"so I might have been able to give you the entry for the Battalion's activity there !

Best wishes

Sotonmate

His name is at the bottpm of my posts (Daniel Martin Taylor)

Alastair

Not on my screen though !

Sotonmate

Alastair

Here a few names to ponder. All are 1/7th Bn Cameronians, KIA the same day,28.6.1915, and buried in Twelve Tree Copse somewhere. They all have Special Memorials.

2/Lt James Webster McCLAY no Company shown.

Lt William Wallace BROWN of B Company.

Lt William DUFF of D Company.

Lt Daniel Martin TAYLOR no Company shown

Captain James HOWATT no Company shown.

Captain Peter Isles WHITTON no Company shown.

Would you say that there is a fair chance that some of these are in the picture ?

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Thanks Sotonmate,

My great uncle was Daniel Martin Taylor of B Company. The Gallipolian (issue 58 of 1988) states that "B Company on the right, commanded by Capt. K Hutchison, was met at once with the full blast of the enemy fire. At the head of his men, Capt, Hutchieson reached within 50 yards of the Turkish trench line before he was brought down by a bullet in the leg. His four subalturns, Lt. W Brown, Lt. D.M Taylor, 2 Lt. J.W MacLay, and 2 Lt. A Duff were killed. Hardly a man escaped." It would be a good guess to assume that the four above are the four subalturns of B Company but I have not discovered any photographs of the officers of 7th Scottish Rifles to confirm this.

I suppose my plea is for anyone with photos of B Company officers to have a look for comparisons - you never know.

Thanks

Alastair