Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Joseph Garret Fisher

rfishbobs

Hi

This is my first post, hopefully someone out there can assist

I'm trying to find out what happened to my grandfather Joseph Garret Fisher and if he survived the war? I've done a fair amount of research, but keep hitting brick walls.

Joseph Garret Fisher, born Holborn 11th July 1895, son of Joseph and Emily Fisher

Married Lily Louisa Coles Aug 6th 1916 age 22 occupation soldier

On my fathers birth certificate 23rd Aug 1918 Joseph (no Garret) occupation is listed as Driver RFA - Metal Moulder

I know my Nan remarried in 1923, so he either died or they divorced. there is a suspicion in the family that although named on my fathers birth certificate he may have died before conception. I've applied for my Nan's wedding certificate which hopefully may throw some light on if she was widowed or divorced.

I did track down a Joseph Fisher who died aged 24 on the 22nd April 1917. His regiment is listed as Royal Horse and Royal Field Artillery Army number 50003 Bombr 34 DAC RFA. He's buried at the Noeux les mines Communal Cemetary. Interestingly the inscription reads son of Louisa Fisher (same name as my Nan). The details don't really tally, but I wonder how accurate the records are?

Any clues on trying to establish what happened to J G Fisher would be very much appreciated

Regards

Bob

Bob,

Welcome to the forum.

Joseph Fisher 50003 was born in Camberwell and enlisted in Depford according to Soldiers died. I'll have a look on Ancestry for your man.

Llew.

Bob,

Nothing standing out on Ancestry. There are some Joseph Fisher's with pension records, but the numbers are different.

Regards. Llew.

Thanks guys really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I don't believe that J G Fisher and 50003 are one and the same. is there anyway to establish a date of birth for 50003?

Thank again

Bob

Actually I'm hoping 50003 isn't J G Fisher. If he is, he isn't my grandfather, 50003 died in April 1917, my father was born August 1918 hmmmm

Bob,

Cant see a JG Fisher dead anywhere, military or civillian form 1917 - 1923

Looks like it could be a divorce, see what Nan's cert says

Grant

As suggested I looked up the MIC and found two further J G Fishers. I've attached the file, I'm hoping someone will be able to decipher if either of these two soldiers were RFA?

Many thanks

Bob

Managed to track down a copy of my Nan's second marriage cert 1923. It mentions she was divorced from J G Fisher, so unless they were divorced within 8 months of marriage, J G Fisher was not soldier 50003. (marriage Aug 1916, soldier 50003 died April 1917) This and the lack of any record of his death (thanks Grant) suggests he may have survived the war. Does anyone know how I can find divorce records?

Having spent the some time tracking soldier 50003, I'd like to found out a little more about him and maybe visit the war grave to pay my respects.

Hopefully my J G is one of the two I found the MIC's for ( see above)

Many thanks in advance

Bob

Bob,

The first one was in the Border regiment, his number was 24517 and he was a private

Second one was in the Army Service Corps, number 062588 and a private, he then got transfered to the Labour Corps, number 584497, again as a private.

Another choice could be:

Name: FISHER

Initials: J C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery

Date of Death: 25/11/1918

Service No: 770463

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: A. 52.

Cemetery: SOUTH SHIELDS (WESTOE) CEMETERY

If the G was wrongly wrote as a C

This is J Fisher, 50003 details:

Name: FISHER

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery

Unit Text: 24th Div. Ammunition Col.

Date of Death: 23/04/1917

Service No: 50003

Additional information: Son of Louisa Fisher, of 28, Caspian St., New Church Rd., Camberwell, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. Q. 1.

Cemetery: NOEUX-LES-MINES COMMUNAL CEMETERY

Grant

• 2 weeks later...

This is getting really interesting now (well for me anyway) Joseph Garrett Fisher and my Nan were divorced in Nov 1922. My Dad was always under the impression his fatherr died in WW1.

Is there any way I can match a military record to a date of birth? JGF is proving very elusive.

Bob

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to thank everyone who helped me in the search for J G Fisher. I've now confirmed he did survive the war, remarried and fathered three more children. He died in Croydon in 1978. I'm meeting his youngest son (aged 80) next week.

Once again many thanks

Bob