Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thai troops in France -1918

Myrtle

I read recently that 1300 Thai troops were sent to France in 1918 by Vajiravudh the King of Thailand at that time. Does anyone know anything about them ?

Regards

Myrtle

Myrtle

I know nothing of the Thai troops but do know that the Thai government officially declared war on Germany in July 1917.

Guest John Orfei

All I know is the following; King Vajiravudlt was the first Thai King to be educated in England. He formed his own paramilitary org."Wild Tiger Corps". Troops were sent in 1917 to fight in Europe, although the Thai Expeditionary Froce did not see much action. It did receive much praise from the International Community.

Regards, John

Myrtle

Siam (Thailand was then known as Siam) issued its own version of the (Allied) Victory Medal.

Myrtle

I'm afraid not. I know that the ribbon was common to all 13 allied nations who issued the VM but have not seen a photo or description of the Siamese version.

Dave

Myrtle.

This description of the Siamese Victory medal (the rarest of the lot) comes from Laslo's book "The interallied Victory Medals of World War 1" :

"The Thais,whose culture lacks the concept of a winged-Victory figure,chose the representation of a familiar God for the central motif on the obverse. Various sources identify this deity as Narayana, Narai, NarayanaBunrachai, orNaraibanluechai,(the Thai God of War and Victory).These various names are Thai names for the god Vishnu,holding in four hands his attributes of the club, disk, conch shell and lotus flower, and riding the mythical bird, Garuda.

The reverse bears the words "The Great War for Civilisation" in Thai characters and is surrounded by an ornamental border"

In size and suspension,it compares with the French and U.S. victory medals. Approx. 1,500 were issued.

As soon as I suss my new scanner out (and if I remember!), I'll try to post a picture of this medal on this site.

Dave.

From the same book mentioned above :

"...Thailand eventually sent a small expeditionary force of volunteers which arrived in France at the end of June 1918. This force, totalling about 1200 troops, consisted of three groups of motor transport personnel, three flights from the Aviation Corps (including 104 pilots), and supporting medical units.... The motor transport troops moved to the front on 15th September 1918 and experienced heavy shell fire.....The aviators were still undergoing training at the signing of the armistice.....Although small in number, the Siamese Expeditionary Force was a source of national pride following the war."

Dave.

I'm afraid not ,although I do know that they were receiving training off the French. Not much help,I know (it cancels out the British, Belgian and U.S. held sectors though!).

Dave.

Guest John Orfei

Myrtle,

The Thai (Siam) Grovernment also particpated in the Versailles Peace Conference and was a founding member of the League of Nations. Thai Troops marched through the Act de Triomphe in Paris on 19th, July 1918.

See the following site for pictures and info. on same; www.geocities.com/capitol hill/ However, I know nothing about the movie the King and I :rolleyes:

Regards, John

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I have a couple of jpgs showing the obverse and reverse of the Siam Victory medal and would be happy to mail them to anyone who e-mails me -Ian

Thank you all, for information.

John, I am still trying to access the site you mentioned.

King and I ? What's that ?

<_<

Regards

Myrtle