Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hampshire Regiment & Royal Inniskilling Fussiliers

Guest julie

Hello

I have also posted this message on the soldier message board as I wasn't sure if it should be there or here.

I have been trying to find information on the service of my grandfather Private Charles Sims: Hampshire no. 31634, Royal Inniskilling Fusilliers no. 4_373. I have searched at the PRO and found this information and his medal roll numbers Victory Medal, British Medal and Discharge Badge.

I have not been able to find his service record. I looked through the excellent site www.1914-1918.net and found that the two regiments were mentioned within the 11th (Service) Battalion (Pioneers) - The 16th (Irish) Division. Under Major- Gen W.Hickie for some time. I am new to researching WW1. How can I check that this is his?

I know that he sustained a serious thigh injury and was discharged.

Are there any other records that I could check?

Is anyone else researching the same reg's?

Would there be any Irish records stored?

I think he was at Ypres.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

I have had more luck at the PRO with my other grandfather (Cecil Dendy) and I have his service record RMAC 133rd Field Ambulance. 39th Division (I think).

Same medals as above. He lost an eye whilst in France, though I think it was whilst opening a tin of Bully Beef!!

Can I find anything else?

I think both men would have had pensions. Can I trace their passage through hospitals? I suspect that with so many casualties this is impossible!

Any help please.