Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Training

debit

Hi

Can anyone advise how long it would have taken to train a volunteer. For example, if someone enlisted approx September 1914 and didn't go to war until December 1915, would it have taken them that long to be trained (as an infantryman)?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Debbie :huh:

Pete

I have looked on the website, searched on 'training' and it came up with 'Training Tommy for War'. This didn't exactly tell me how long it took to train men, unless I completely missed it. Can you please give me some more indication of where exactly I should look!

Regards

Debbie

Have you got a specific man or unit in mind?

Very briefly, training took place in four phases. Taking RWF as example, a volunteer would enlist in home town, attend garrison in Wrexham for a day or so and be sent to the large training camps at Morfa Conwy or Kinmel for a month/six weeks, and then sent to southern England towns such as Northampton for another equal period. After shipping to France, 10 days or so at the large camp at Etables, then sent by train + marches to reserves on the front line to be gradually acclimatised. Some battalions though, found themselves in immediate action according to circumstances.

Geraint

Hi Geraint

Thanks for your info. I am researching my Great Uncle. He enlisted at Weymouth and joined the 15th Bat. Royal Warwickshire Regiment as a Private. I have been told that this was one of three Pals Battalions raised in Birmingham in September 1914 and that the Battalion went to France in December 1915. The reason I am asking how long training took is that if the Battalion was raised in September 1914 but didn't go to France until December 1915 what happened during that first year? I would appreciate any input on this if you have any.

Regards

Debbie