Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rifleman,372909,1/8th Londons (post office rifles)

stiletto_33853

Hi Everyone,

Looking for some assistance on this gentleman and what happened on the 5-12-17 to his unit. He is a local man to me and doing some research on the local memorial.

This is what i have:- Rifleman Hookey was the eldest son of Mr.G.Hookey of Whitehead Lodge, Great Wakering. He was born at Downton, Wilts. and educated at Great Wakering School, subsequently being employed as a postman at Rayleigh, living at "Ivyglen" Rayleigh Road, Thundersley. He enlisted in the Post Office Rifles with the first married groups under the Derby scheme. He had been in France 17 months, and had only recently returned to the front from 14 days home leave when he was killed in action on 5-12-17, aged 28.

His officer, Lieutenant B.C.Wright wrote " It is with a very great regret that i have to write and announce your sons death. He was killed outright with the whole of his section. It was a great blow to me and the whole company, as he really was a fine man."

Is there any member out there who happens to have the unit history of the Post Office Rifles who could tell me what this unit was up to on the 5-12-17 and if any special mention was made of this loss.

Many Thanks

Andy

Andy,

The Post Office Rifles went into Bourlon Wood on the 2nd December, though only described as a minor operation a number of casualties were sustained before they were relieved on the 5th,

William Hookey died of his wounds on the 5th, the only man to die in the Battalion that day, there is a Divsional History for the 47th which briefly touches on this period, the best book on the 8th Londons was written a few years ago by Charles Messenger "Terriers in the Trenches", its quite hard to come by these days which is a shame, Charles is often on this forum so may be able to help you further, I know that Steve Seaman who is also a forum member has an interest in this battalion so he may also be able to help you,

regards

Clive

www.frontlinelondon.com

Clive,

Many many thanks for that information, strange that his officer wrote that the whole section was wiped out and yet he is the only listed casualty that day!.

Once again many thanks i will try to contact the people you mentioned.

Andy

I think you might find the officer is referring to a Lewis Gun section, in which case it would be much smaller.

There was also a 2/8th Londons in the 58th Division; off hand I can't think where they might have been at this time.

Guest Pete Wood

Andy

Your man died of wounds, but not necessarily from action that day. If you look at the casualties of the 3rd - 5th December, they nearly all 'died of wounds.' Almost all the men who were 'killed in action' died on the 2nd December.

If the officer's account is correct, then I think there is a strong chance that he was wounded on the 2nd December.

It's got to be worth investigating.

Evening all.

2/8th Londons,were serving with 174th Brigade,58th(2/1st)London Division,at this time during 1917.

They had been heavily involved in the battle of Passchendaele,and spent the winter in the area,so i believe.

My Great-grandad served with 214th Company,MGC,in the 173rd Brigade,58th Division,and his war diary covers this period.

Very cold,from what i can tell,and,as always,very busy.

He was also a married Derby man,having signed up in December 1915,and was KIA in 1918,leaving a wife and 4 children.

The 58th Division had been in action for some time,by December,1917,and was largely made up from conscripts.

Try your search box,and you will be surprised by what you will find,on the Post Office Rifles.

At least one dedicated site.

Good luck,and nice to chat to another 58th Div,man.

All the best.

Simon.

Teapots,

Many thanks for that info, i agree, think it has got to be worth investigating a little further.

Andy

Simon,

Many thanks, will try the search box, this man also left a widow and 2 children, funnily enough though, his next of kin were his parents , hence the letter from his officer to his folks.

Many thanks to all who have helped on this man, i am forever amazed at the depth of information held by members.

Andy

Guest Steve Seaman

Hi Andy,

Not much more I can add . I recently read Terriers in the Trenches by Charles Messenger but had to return it to the library.

Does anyone know where i can get a copy? I've tried the usual places ABE, AMAZON etc.

regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

I would also like to get a copy so if you find a place that has some copies please let me know, thanks

Andy

Steve, My late Father served with the Post Office Rifles, and was wounded with then in July 1918. Have some info which I will look up, but it may be no more that what you may have already received. Tied up with work at the moment but will try and get something off to you in the next few days

Hi Chris,

Live in Thorpe Bay, doing some research on some local men for a website.

Andy