Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Volunteer LSGC medal

love4history

Hello everyone,

I'm temporary custodian of a volunteer LSGC medal Edward VII issue... so I gather this medal was issued between 1901-1908 for 20 yrs service in the volunteer force.

How are the chances that this man actually enlisted in 1914 or 1915. Wouldn't he have been too old?

cheers from Flanders

L4H

possible - men served over 50 years of age. if he joined aged 20 and got the medal in 1908 he would be 46 in 1914

and it was open to officers who seem to serve when older

I might be wrong, but I believe I read that the oldest casualty in the British Army during the Great War was 72 years old. I will have to look back through my Great War history books to see if I can find the reference.

quite probably was that old but wont be the case for the majority

Brackett Suffolk RgtA check of the MiC might well show an issue of the VLSM issue,annotated on it,albiet awarded 10~15 years earlier {As awarded Vol SM 190*} I have the awards of 4 Shoemaker Sergt A.Bracket 1/5th Suffolk R.whose card shows his award of this medal{Impressed;QV Head;awarded 1903}

I used to own a Volunteer LSGC Ed.VII to a CQMS in the 1st Carnarvon RGA Volunteers, with a British War Medal ostensibly to the same man as a 2nd Lieutenant. Maybe a Victory Medal was missing.

Online NA medal card suggested he qualified for WW1 awards as a Private (?sic) in the RGA, and was commissioned into the Labour Corps in 1917.

LST_164