Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Germans capture George V and ransom him!

Moonraker

The Western Evening Herald of October 19, 1914 reported that the Gaulois newspaper was saying that several South American newspapers had printed a report by the German Truth Association that a fleet of Zeppelins had reached London and German soldiers had reached the royal palaces, capturing King George and ransoming him for £5,000,000 in gold.

This brings to mind the case quoted by Robert Graves in Goodbye To All That (itself now held not to be a completely reliable autobiography, as already discussed in the Forum) of a German newspaper reporting that German churches had celebrated the fall of Antwerp by ringing their bells. After two very distorted versions had appeared in the press, further embellishment by Le Matin reported that the Germans had hung the city's priests as living clappers to the bells of their churches.

(I recall that in the Falklands Conflict of 1982 the British press were reporting claims by the Argentinians that the "Queen Elizabeth" and "Ark Royal" had been sunk, Prince Andrew captured and Admiral Sir Sandy Woodward had committed suicide. And five years ago there were reports of Saddam Hussein heroically leading his troops into battle.)

Moonraker

Well...King George should have been leading the first charge of the war, like the medieval kings did.

If he said it is not fair because machine guns exist now and did not then, then likewise it is not fair for all the other poor bleeders who have to fight flying lead with their bodies..... ;)

The Western Evening Herald of October 19, 1914 reported that the Gaulois newspaper was saying that several South American newspapers had printed a report by the German Truth Association that a fleet of Zeppelins had reached London and German soldiers had reached the royal palaces, capturing King George and ransoming him for £5,000,000 in gold.

Wow a report of a report of a report of a report - from German to Spanish to French to English - some slight opportunity for distortion there I think!

However I believe that some time pre 1914 something similar happened in a popular novel. British newspapers however have often printed stories without a lot of basis behind them. Many years ago I found an old Sunday Express lining the drawers of an old chest of drawers that had belonged to my grandparents. It was printed the first Sunday of WW2 and the headlines were 'German Army Suffers Huge Reverses in Poland, Invasion Crumbling'

The Angels of Mons were home grown, as were the Russians with snow on their boots. We have never needed to seek instruction abroad when it came to imaginative journalism.

We have never needed to seek instruction abroad when it came to imaginative journalism.

Absolutely not

Tigers...cr*p...never!

I have the Illustrated London News for 1856-57. Minor unrest in India; authorities are dealing with the matter.

Not unlike the problems on the Stock Market at the moment..... ;)

I wonder if the Sunday Sport was around 1914/18?

KAISER ATE MY HAMSTER

MARTIANS ABDUCTED GENERAL KITCHENER

and that classic head line (from Spike Milligan's dad)

ARCHDUKE FERDINAND FOUND ALIVE - WAR A MISTAKE - SORRY SAYS KAISER

I like this one:

On the 21st April 1917, the Holmfirth Express published a modified version of a report that had appeared in a Belgium magazine that was being produced in Holland. The Express said they had removed the most gruesome details, and then added that the Germans were being accused of using parts of their dead soldiers for pig food, fats and oil.

Full report here!

Tony.

I wonder if the Sunday Sport was around 1914/18?

KAISER ATE MY HAMSTER

MARTIANS ABDUCTED GENERAL KITCHENER

and that classic head line (from Spike Milligan's dad)

ARCHDUKE FERDINAND FOUND ALIVE - WAR A MISTAKE - SORRY SAYS KAISER

not forgetting

WORLD WAR ONE BOMBER FOUND ON MOON

cheers Martin B

• 1 month later...

Well , Gunner Ashmore's diary did say that George V fell off his horse when he was visiting the Front !

I expect a German spy put a thistle under his saddle !

Sounds like it would have made a good film!

Shades of "The Eagle has Landed" and the capture of Churchill

Not unlike the problems on the Stock Market at the moment..... ;)

Or minor a insurgency in Afghanistan.... Cheers, Bill