Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

North Sea Grunts

sadsac

OK `Jolly Jacks' try this one. North Sea Grunts in WW1 ?? Were they noted then ??

They were certainly spoken of in the `Tweeny' years.

In WW11 much puzzlement was shown as to what the `Cunning Jerry's' were getting up to.

All sorts of theories prevailed - secret listening devices etc.

Now they are put down to N.Sea oil bubbling to the surface / flatulent fish / other ??

At least Cdr. G.C. Coltart the then SNO HMS DOLPHIN in a letter (extant in RNSM) to ?? wrote "it is the same as the rude noise one makes in the bath".

Thats one NOT to be `sniffed at' chaps - what !!

Regarda vois (spelling !)

Sadsac

Sadsac,

Nearest I can get is the nickname for a Gurnard 'a Grunt' and of course the reknown 'Grunter'.

Is this in relation to hydrophones?

REgards Charles

In the last three or four years, herring have been shown to communicate by "Fast, Repetitive Ticking" - or FRTing - which involves the blowing of a series of bubbles of gas from you-know-where and, presumably, makes a ticking noise. Don't know if that explains grunting noises or not...

Adrian

(in case you doubt my seriousness, http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn4343...e-hot-air.html)

As Joseph said, the Gurnard is called a Grunt and makes a grunting noise, bu I can't say that is the answer; I have heard them grunting though ;)

Cheers Ron

How surreal can this get ?

yes, I have seen patrol logs from G13 describing grunting noises heard on the Dogger Bank. The cause was put down to a school of porpoises.

..gas from you-know-where and, presumably, makes a ticking noise.

In my tiredness, I misread and thought you said a "tickling" noise. :D

Chas, Andrew, Ron, Clio, Martin, thanks for `taking part' info was gained !

So, Old Coltart was correct when he surmised that it was similar `to rude noise' etc !!!

My apologies to CAPTAIN Coltart - in my post I demoted him to Cdr. SNO HMS DOLPHIN.

Sadsac