Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What WW1 books are you reading?

andigger

Lloyd George - from Peace to War 1912-1916 by John Grigg (with Lloyd George - War Leader 1916-1918 waiting on the shelf). What are we to make of a - flawed - man who, when defending himself against charges of insider trading (he WAS Chancellor at the time!) moved hard bitten politicians to tears with his oratory...

And of whom Churchill said 'It was a master and servant relationship - and I was the servant'!

Superb!

ps L-G was Welsh...

Bernard

"Pillars of Fire" - The Battle of Messines Ridge June 1917 by Ian Passingham.

3 chapters in so far, and an enjoyable read.

BTW Siege Gunner - couldn't get on with Adm Bacon: found it a difficult and uninspired read, and am only half-way through (after 2 years!).

John

For a change I am reading the autobiography of David Nobbs - "I didn't get where I am today.." which is very amusing. The original choice for Reggie Perrin was Ronnie Barker!

However, I can't stop dipping into "Before Endeavours Fade".

I am currently reading The War The Infantry Knew by J. C. Dunn.

An excellent account of one infantry battalion in the war.

[/u]Paris 1919 by Margaret MacMillan. Based on my limited knowledge of the Paris Peace Conference, I'd say that it's very good so far. I'm about 2/3 through it. Those areas that I do know something about seem to be accurate. (For example, she mentions the height of Montenegrins, which is definitely true, even if not particularly relevant.) I'm taking a general world history course for the 20th century and I am allowed to choose two books to read for the course that are not the reading list, so I went with this one for one choice.

• 3 weeks later...

3/4's of the way through PASSCHENDAELE by PHILIP WARNER, not really for the faint hearted (is anything related to WWI?) it certainly evokes many different feelings, but yes, I think it should be read.

Regards,

Norman

Have just finished "Under the Devils Eye: Britain's forgotten army at Salonika" by Wakefield and Moody and am about to start Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince!

Matt - I'm sure a book or two on resumes and cover letters will be on your bed side stand as well! Good luck in your search. Andy

Just Finished THE REICH OF THE BLACK SUN,and will Re-Read Donovan Websters Excellent Book AFTERMATH.

• Admin

Am reading Of Those We Loved by I L Read. Haven't read it for years and had forgotten how good it is.

Am reading Of Those We Loved by I L Read. Haven't read it for years and had forgotten how good it is.

A real cracking Book,one of my all time Faves,it really does tell the PBIs story,simply written,excellent Drawings,a real un put downable Book -one that started off my interest in all things WW1..should be compulsory reading.

I'm still on Dombey & Son. I see I was reading it on 29th October - heavy going!

• 1 month later...

'Armageddon Road'

edited diary of Billy Congreve VC.

Excellent stuff.

Such responsibilities and bravery from so young a man!

To pick this up again, if you're looking for a classic on this subject, go no further than Leon Wolff's 'In Flanders Fields', getting on for 50 years old now, which first reminded the post WW2 generation what WW1 was like.

cheers Martin B

That was one of the first books I read about the war, long ago.

Still remember it well.

John

Thiepval Battle ground Somme by Michael Stedman...

just genning up should I get over to check on a grave or two of family

I just finished that after reading The Germans at Thiepval.

I was left with the impression Stedman didn't (don't know if this is the right way to put it) give proper respect to the fighting abilities of the Germans. That after July 1st the Germans had no fight left in them.

Which was NOT the impression I had from the book by Sheldon - or from any other accounts for that matter.

John

Les Carlyon's new book " The Great War". Personal stories and anecdotes from Australians woven through this impressive tome. Great read.

Roger

I'm half way through "The War the Infantry Knew" by Capt Dunn. Very informative but takes a while to read.

Angela

Great book, even if Captain Dunn was a bit of an old curmudgeon. Should be followed up by " Old Soldiers Never Die", Frank Richards. He was a regular signaller in the same unit. Gives the other ranks' viewpoint of the war.

• 1 month later...

Just started on 'These Men Thy Friends' by Edward Thompson (1927) It's a novel about the British in Basra in 1916...anyone else read it? or know anything about the author? Cyril Falls in 'War Books' seems to like it and gives it 1 *.

A

"1915: The Death of Glory" by Robin Neillands

In the last little while, since xmas in fact I have read Loos 1915 by Nick Lloyd and previous to that the book by Simpson on Corps Command. Both dealing with the command and control aspects of the war.

The Corps book seemed to be every other word, mentioning FSR1 and was heavy in places, yet at the end I felt that it all dropped into place and showed how corps command expanded during the war, as did its ability and role to do the job.

Nick Lloyds book comes down heavy on Haig, and rightly so, but did not deal with the nuts and bolts of the infantry mans war, but more the higher direction. Not that this was/is a problem for me.

regards

Arm