Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What WW1 books are you reading?

andigger

Hi guys,

so I finished the two books I had on the Zeebrugge raids and now, consideiring my ongoing visist to all the women buried on the Western Front, it's time I started to read a bit more about them and what they all did in the Great War. So after a bit of research, I discovered Hugh POPHAM's "The FANY in war and Peace", about the story of the FANY from 1907 to 2003 and I'm starting on one of the nurse's diaries I already have at home: those of Edie Appleton, edited by Ruth Cowen. More to come... I have a birthday present still to order on Amazon...

M.

Many thanks.  I have ordered a copy of Greenhaigh's book which has had good reviews. It appears to be a very detailed and thorough analysis of the French sacrifices in WW1 which was considerable and often unappreciated in the Anglo-centric histories of the war.

I am reading the third book of Epitaphs of the Great War (Sarah Wearne). Very moving. This one covers the last hundred days. I have liked them and wish there had been more.

RM

Have just started "Godley: The man behind the myth" by Terry Kinloch. It's a biography of Alexander Godley, the commander of the NZEF during The Great War. Kinloch's intention is to  present a balanced assessment of Godley, who has a poor reputation in New Zealand. An aloof and austere figure, Godley is seen by many New Zealanders as a butcher and a bungler, but Kinloch argues that view is wholly unfair. The book is an attempt to redress the balance somewhat, whilst also detailing Godley's 48 year career in the British Army. Thoroughly researched and with many photos, it looks to be a thought provoking book that challenges more than a few myths.

4 hours ago, Main Body said:

it looks to be a thought provoking book that challenges more than a few myths.

As I have an interest in the New Zealanders this could be one to put on my list, thanks for the tip MB. Apart from that it would appear that we have something else in common; I assume the Everton FC in your list of interests is the one in Walton on Merseyside as opposed to the one in Chile or the one that used to exist in Auckland around the time of WW1? Good to know either way.

Pete.

12 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

As I have an interest in the New Zealanders this could be one to put on my list, thanks for the tip MB. Apart from that it would appear that we have something else in common; I assume the Everton FC in your list of interests is the one in Walton on Merseyside as opposed to the one in Chile or the one that used to exist in Auckland around the time of WW1? Good to know either way.

Pete.

Spent a lot of time at the Gwlady's street end in the 1980s. Glory days...

I've just started reading 'Laurence Atwell's letters from the front ' and am only a few pages in but it looks to me like one of the letters

has been put in the wrong chronological order. His letter of 12th April describes his visit to the breastworks and firing trenches but

he was still at Harfleur waiting to be sent to the front at this time. It does make sense however if read between his letters of May 10th

and 14th when he was at the front  , so it looks like it is a letter from May12th not April 12th .

"Singled Out: How 2 Million Women Survived without men after the first world war" by Virginia Nicholson.

I know this book as been mentioned before on this forum but worth another plug.  Excellent eye opener on another aspect of the war and lIfe after it.

Edited by phsvm

On ‎01‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:17, phsvm said:
"Singled Out: How 2 Million Women Survived without men after the first world war" by Virginia Nicholson

Have it and read it!!

It's indeed an eye opener, demographically speaking but also from a societal point of view. Glad you enjoyed it!

For me I'm turning my focus now on the women who served (and died) on the Western Front, to research my project a bit more. For that, I lined up the Wynn's "Women in the great War", Hugh Popham's "The FANY in peace and War" and Ruth Cowen's "A Nurse on the Western Front: the diaries of Edith Appleton".

The next months is going to be a mix of diaries and more researched books on the women I'm researching and visiting in Belgium and France. I do have a start of a bibliography lined up on the topic, but will be grateful for every extra suggestion in the matter.

M.

23 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

Have it and read it!!

It's indeed an eye opener, demographically speaking but also from a societal point of view. Glad you enjoyed it!

For me I'm turning my focus now on the women who served (and died) on the Western Front, to research my project a bit more. For that, I lined up the Wynn's "Women in the great War", Hugh Popham's "The FANY in peace and War" and Ruth Cowen's "A Nurse on the Western Front: the diaries of Edith Appleton".

The next months is going to be a mix of diaries and more researched books on the women I'm researching and visiting in Belgium and France. I do have a start of a bibliography lined up on the topic, but will be grateful for every extra suggestion in the matter.

M.

One person who always springs to mind whenever someone mentions women andcthe Great War is this larger than life, and greatly overlooked lady, who's life story reads more like a fictional super-hero comic than fact:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Marvingt

Edited by neverforget

• 3 weeks later...

Based on some advise here on the forum, I just started Huntly Gordon's "The unreturning Army"... 2 chapters in and I love the style and the writing. Next to that I found another little book at Defence Library called "La grande Guerre, si proche, si loin"... reflexions on the centenary. Might be good, might be nothing. we'll see... 

anyway... enought reading material to spend the whole holiday. 

M.

Dear All,

I have just finished the highly entertaining "From Private to Major" by James Hawke, OBE (born 4 Apr 1891), published by Hutchinson & Co., 2020059383_MajorJamesHawkeOBEca_1938.thumb.jpg.15cdce8f5030e8594597b68cb6eafcb3.jpgin 1938.

Janes Hawke was commissioned in the Field (1 Jan 1917) from the Cheshire Regiment, and even flew many operations as an Observer in Macedonia (and briefly trained as a Pilot), when attached to the RFC/RAF.

Never knowing his father and having been deserted by his mother, Hawke eventually became a Major, Quartermaster, Peshawar District Signals, and led a happily married life.

The most amusing line concerned his being sent Solo on a night-flight in a D.H.9:-

'When almost on the ground, the instructor shouted: "Take control!" I only took the wing-tip through one flare this time.

'Furious, he jumped out. "Go on," he raged."take the thing up. And burn yourself to death."'

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dad has just lent me Barrie Pitt's Zeebrugge: eleven VCs before breakfast.

Statistics of the Military Effort of the British Empire during the Great War.

A very big surprise from my mother today. I have used a PDF copy for a while but blimey even the softback edition is a HUGE tome. 

Was sent this for Christmas by a friend:

IMG_20181224_123535.jpg

Boyfriend got me Jacques-Henri Lefebvre's monumental "Verdun - La plus grande bataille de l'histoire racontée par les survivants" - the 2014 edition. 

520 pages of Verdun stories... it's going on the pile... no idea when I'll get to it, but I do hope in the next five years... actually I really need that assignement to Hamburg... long train rides back home on the WE's !!! 

Also got a 60 euro voucher for the big bookshop in Aachen ... but that's not for WWI books.  

Anybody else got interesting Christmas gifts?? 

M. 

Am about half way through this book , he was a private soldier and then a subaltern in the 1/4th Gloucestershire regiment . Written when he was in

his early eighties and shortly before he died from lung cancer in 1978  , it's superb ( IMHO )

where they kill captains front.jpeg

where they kill captains back.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

just looked it up on Kindl... it's free to read in Kindl unlimited... but I can't have that because I need an address in Germany... so will have to wait another few months (fingers crossed)

I'll keep it in mind, though.

I have just finished reading John Powell's "Haig's Tower of Strength". This biography of General Sir Edwin Bulfin is well researched and written. It covers his commands as a brigadier general and major general during 1st and 2nd Ypres and Loos and his later command of a corps under Allenby in Palestine. As a Catholic Irish soldier, whose family included a cousin who was involved in the 1916 Easter Rising, he did well to reach such high rank in a time when he did not fit the usual stereotype of British Army officers. I thoroughly recommend it

Recently finished Alastair Horne's 'The Price of Glory'. Enjoyable book to read. Feels a little dated in areas but the author knew how to tell a story. Gave me a good background to the battles at Verdun.

Scott

For a one-volume, accessible, work it deservedly ranks amongst the classics. Strongly recommend reading it in conjunction with the other books in his trilogy on France at war.

12 hours ago, Waddell said:

Recently finished Alastair Horne's 'The Price of Glory'.

It appears there are two editions available, the original published in 1962, and an abbreviated version published in 1964.

The abbreviated version is available in the Internet Archive (archive.org) Lending Library

The price of glory; Verdun 1916 by Alistair Horne 1964 "This specially abridged edition first published in Penguin Books 1964."

https://archive.org/details/priceofgloryverd00horn

The other books in his trilogy, mentioned by nigelcave are also available online

https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A(Alistair+Horne+)&sort=date

Cheers

Maureen