Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What WW1 books are you reading?

andigger

1 hour ago, Marilyne said:

Just read a few reviews on this book... it's definitely going on my list !! 

Marilyne

One review said that it reads like a novel and this is true in the respect that you get drawn into the book and wanting to know the fate of each brother as

they are consumed by the war and their destinies are each taken out of their own hands one by one .

Just finished the excellent  ' 450 miles to freedom ' by Captains Johnston and Yearsley and now reading 'Some letters from a subaltern on the western front'

written by Lieut J.B Hoyle M.C

2 hours ago, Black Maria said:

Just finished the excellent  ' 450 miles to freedom ' by Captains Johnston and Yearsley and now reading 'Some letters from a subaltern on the western front'

written by Lieut J.B Hoyle M.C

how do you manage ?? 

you're like on a 2 books per week cruise speed... 

I'm happy when I manage 1 in two weeks... 

LOL. 

M.

I recently finished The Somme by Peter Hart, which prompted me to buy William Philpott's book on the Somme. I really enjoyed the chapters on Flers-Courcelette, Morval, and the Ancre. I had a lot of fun trying to place all of the trenches and lines of attack on Google Maps. 

I am now over halfway through The Ironclads of Cambrai by Bryan Cooper. It is obviously an older book filled with unsourced claims, but I am enjoying reading about a seemingly overlooked battle. I believe there's another book by Bryn Hammond(?) on Cambrai, so I will need to track down a copy of that.

I have large backlog of books, so I have to decide if I want to go back to 1915 or forward to 1918 after I finish Cooper's book. 

1 hour ago, Marilyne said:

how do you manage ?? 

you're like on a 2 books per week cruise speed... 

I'm happy when I manage 1 in two weeks... 

LOL. 

M.

I'm not usually that quick but the last two have been the sort that are hard to put down .

Oars, Wars and Horses by Major Vivian Nickalls.

Interesting story of his life varying from Eton in the 1880's, his life at Oxford and his rowing career, with the gunners in France 1915-17, Italy in 1918, Spies and Psychology, rowing abroad. Quite absorbing in many ways.

Andy

New Manuscript!  Please email me if you are willing to read this 150 page book detailed in the thread below.  Must have 750 posts to qualify.  I'm looking for general feedback (plus translation errors resulting in historical problems).  Email me at mchandeysson at Hotmail dot com and I will send PDF.  If you read the Great War Forum thread below and are intrigued, please give it a read.  You will enjoy it.  Sincerely - Mark Chandeysson 

Hi

One recently read book is 'Learning to Fight - Military Innovation and Change in the British Army, 1914-1918' by Aimee Fox, CUP, 2018.  This is an interesting book (for me anyhow) on how the British Army 'Learning Organisation' worked during WW1, covers quite a few aspects of it:

Part I The Practice of Learning

1. The Legacy of the Past

2. A Networked Army

3. Disseminating Learning

Part II Learning in Practice

4. Inter-Theatre

5. Allies

6. Civilian Expertise

7. Integrating Newcomers.

Conclusion: Learning to Fight.

It gives a good overview and I found I could fit the areas of this subject I have looked at into the system described.  Also when added to information contained other books it helps to build up a picture of the BEF 'system' that evolved during WW1 to help train and organise this large army, that developed from a very small base, to be an effective fighting force.

Mike

Have been reading Lloyd’s book on Passchendaele which is a “must read” for anyone interested in the subject. Crunchy s review is spot on.

In fact I liked his content and writing style so much that I am getting his book on the last 100 days.  

Still  LOOKING at “To Play a Giant’s Part” The British Army at Passchendaele, because it is so big and heavy and unwieldy that I can’t quite bring myself to start.  Maybe if I lift weights for a few days......

H.

Edited by hazelclark
Wrong title

On 12/25/2013 at 16:34, David Ridgus said:

However I'd have to say that overall I found the book a little dull and probably 75 pages too long

David

I completely agree with David... it got me through the 6 hours flight from Paris back to Bamako, but that's about it. 

Sometimes interesting and for the rest a long litany of stuff that doesn't really explain how the nations would choose to go to war and sustain the war, as the book's objectives state. 

Marilyne

I have a feeling that I posted something about “To Play a Giant’s Part”in the wrong place, but as I said in that other thread, I am finding the book very unwieldy to read. ( I also dropped it corner wise so that the full weight hit my foot and left me with a painful and badly bruised foot!!)

The foregoing is probably of no importance in the scheme of things but I am finding myself questioning some of his conclusions.  The book is extremely well researched and presents much evidence that is new to me.  He uses highlighting to emphasize important points which makes it a great book for students. However, despite all that, I am finding that sometimes I read his source and would likely come to a different view.  His final analysis of the battles will be interesting. 

Am I the only person having a problem with this book?

Hazel

On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 19:36, jimmylad said:

Anyone know where I can get hold of a copy 'War is like that'? John Stafford Gowland was my Great Grandfather.

The original poster hasn't been back since they asked the question , but if anyone else is after a copy one has just appeared on Amazon at £90

with free delivery .

Could not resist, passing home for exactly 56 minutes during my "mission in the mission" to Brussels, to grab two REAL (as in not in Kindle) books from the pile on my desk (which by the way needs a good dusting, after three months...) 

So yesterday I crawled under my mosquito net with Paul Cobb's "Fromelles 1916". 

M. 

Edited by Marilyne

Hi .

Am reading about the siege of KUT 1916,which my late Father was at.He was in the RIFLE BRIGADE,but as he was born in India i dont know whether he came from india with the indian army to fight,but he did survive ,but i was quite young to ask him all the questions that i wont now.? 

Just about to settle down with Alex Revell's latest - Baptism of Fire. the RFC in the first year in France 1914-15.

Looks to be a good read, with lots of details and photos.

:poppy:

• Admin
1 hour ago, stanley.egbert.chapman said:

Hi .

Am reading about the siege of KUT 1916,which my late Father was at.He was in the RIFLE BRIGADE,but as he was born in India i dont know whether he came from india with the indian army to fight,but he did survive ,but i was quite young to ask him all the questions that i wont now.? 

Welcome to the forum.

There is a lot of help out there but you may Baptist intake thread.

Might I suggest you start a new thread in the Soldiers sections your father's name, number of you know it and unit in the title. Then put as judgeship you do know about him in the post, dob etc. and help will be there. In the meantime take a look T the Long Long Trail link above which has great tips on how to search for a soldier.

Good luck with your search.

Picked up today for a couple of pounds, a clean copy with d/j of 'Death of an Army' 1967 by Anthony Farrar-Hockley.  This book has been around,

originally the property of Kingston upon Thames library, a receipt indicates that it was one of five books purchased from

'Over the Top' on Meenestratt, Ypres on the 3rd August 2011.

Mike.

47 minutes ago, MikeyH said:

Picked up today for a couple of pounds, a clean copy with d/j of 'Death of an Army' 1967 by Anthony Farrar-Hockley.  This book has been around,

originally the property of Kingston upon Thames library, a receipt indicates that it was one of five books purchased from

'Over the Top' on Meenestratt, Ypres on the 3rd August 2011.

Mike.

I just started reading “Death of an army” a few days ago. I haven’t made it far enough to properly assess the book, but it’s an enjoyable read so far. 

13 hours ago, MikeyH said:

Picked up today for a couple of pounds, a clean copy with d/j of 'Death of an Army' 1967 by Anthony Farrar-Hockley.  T

A good choice. 

Read it on Kindle. very well written, very informative !! 

M.

Dear All,

I am greatly enjoying "Faraway Campaign" (1934), by Major Frank James, late Indian Army, who had retired in late 1925 as a major, notwithstanding a First commission from 1904. This book is a first edition, sans dust-jacket, but there is a current Reprint produced by, I think, Amazon.

He wrote well - moreover, the book has not one single typo!

James lauded (the later notorious) A/Brig Rex Dyer - despite the fact that Dyer gave James a bad report, following an ambush in the desert, whereby James was wounded and his prisoners escaped. 

Happily, a similar account of the backwater campaign by brother-officer Capt Gerald Uloth ("Riding to War") - masterly compiled5af567855bb09_CaptFrankJamesandLtGeraldUlothontop-Persia..jpg.d61e2798a1a42e526bcfc9c009832954.jpg5af567d940366_Dust-jacketofFarawayCampaignbyLieutF.JamesIA.jpeg.ee73e7d2cb365aea65776409dfd4e837.jpeg5af56809c9bba_CaptUloth28LCavy.jpg.a95f98db0fa3c7c82c3853cdb11deeeb.jpg by his sons - shows a photograph of James and Uloth, both wounded, on a camel litter (James, lower). In the James book, a page eminently suitable for a portrait, shows a simple map of the desolate area.

Dyer himself wrote "The Raiders of the Sarhad" (he was Mentioned and given a CB), likewise with photos devoid of captions. 

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

5af59acfb30ba_ScreenShot2018-05-11at14_29_26.png.6983f69fadc4c85415e18d1fe69b5d6f.png

THE BATTLE OF THE SELLE. FOURTH ARMY OPERATIONS ON THE WESTERN FRONT IN THE HUNDRED DAYS, 9-24 OCTOBER 1918

by Peter Hodgkinson

A great detailed read of one of the final major operations of the Great War. My Great Grandfather was killed in Le Cateau with only weeks to go in the war.

There's also a nice little field guide with walking routes that accompanies this book which I'm looking forward to taking with me on my next trip.

Finished 'Some letters from a subaltern on the western front ' , it was okay but reminded me why I'm not a fan of memorial volumes .

The letters were well written but limited by censorship and a lot of references to his past would only be known to those who had

known him . Some names of people had been obscured by the family and place names were originally omitted , although some of

these had been added by the family before publication . I am now reading ' The Long Carry ' by Frank Dunham , one of those books

that has never been reprinted and so is now quite pricey .

I am currently reading Doughty's Pyrrhic Victory: French Operations and Strategy in the Great War. So far an excellent and illuminating read.

I've recently picked up for 50p, the  'Gordon  Brook - Shepherd book;  November 1918 , the last Act of the Great War'. Only had a cursory glance up to now.

Edited by tom bowler