Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What WW1 books are you reading?

andigger

On 26/12/2017 at 17:26, AlanP_117 said:

Monash and Chauvel by Roland Perry

I not sure it doesn't over emphasize Monash's contribution to winning the, compared to Arthur Currie and others.

You can be sure it does. Perry is of the view Monash won the war for the Allies.  Not an accurate account of affairs. His Monash: the Outsider Who Won a War is not well regarded by serious historians, and received some pretty damning reviews here in Australia.

Edited by Crunchy

I've read two of Roland Perry's cricket books, although none of his military ones.

I felt that it was noticeable that he liked one of the subjects (Sir Don Bradman) very much, but wasn't at all keen on the other one (Keith Miller). I'm wondering whether this was the same with Sir John Monash and Sir Harry Chauvel... did he like either or both of them or not? 

Edited by The Scorer

Dear Scorer,

I am not familiar at all with Keith Miller, however, Sir Don Bradman was a likeable sort of man.

Similarly, Sir Harry Chauvel was an unusually likeable senior officer - whereas Sir John Monash (who was by far the more capable General), happened to be Jewish, for one thing, and perhaps had a more retiring nature (and unfortunately died young)...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

8 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

whereas Sir John Monash (who was by far the more capable General), happened to be Jewish, for one thing, and perhaps had a more retiring nature (and unfortunately died young)...

Kim,

I am not sure where you have come to this view, but I have to disagree that Monash was far more capable than Chauvel. Certainly the current case to have Monash made a Field Marshal being made by a very small vocal group from Victoria is riddled with inaccuracies and hyperbole. Moreover, Monash was certainly not more retiring than Chauvel - in fact there is ample evidence that Monash sought to promote himself, and complained he was not being given enough press, while Chuavel was quite the opposite.

As divisional and corps commanders Monash and Chauvel operated in different theatres of the war, so a true comparison cannot be made of their respective capabilities. Certainly when both served on Gallipoli as brigade commanders, Chauvel proved to be a superior commander and was given temporary command of the 1st Australian Division in late 1915, before taking command of the Anzac Mounted Division in March 1916. He was also the first Australian to achieve corps command when he took over the Desert Mounted Column (later renamed the Desert Mounted Corps) in August 1917. At Gallipoli, Monash's performance is generally considered as average, and on 8 August was less than commendable.

On the Western Front Monash largely worked within clearly defined boundaries and limited objectives under the direction, plans and orders from either his Corps Commander (when GOC 3 Australian  Division) or his Army Commander (Rawlinson) when commanding the Australian Corps during the last seven months of the war. The exception of course was Mont St Quentin,  being IMO his finest battle.  Chauvel operated in the far more mobile environment of the Sinai and Palestine, unconstrained by narrow boundaries where he had greater latitude in making his plans and operations.  IMO both were equally fine generals.

The problem with Perry is he attributes a range of initiatives to Monash, and his contribution to the overall Allied victory, which are simply not true. Perry is a sports journalist by profession.

By far, the best and most balanced books on Monash and Chauvel are:

P.A Pedersen Monash as Military Commander (which the Australian Army history Unit will be reprinting soon at far cheaper cost than the OOP Melbourne University edition); 

Geoffrey Serle John Monash: A Biography; and

Alec Hill Chauvel of the Light Horse

Best wishes

Chris

Edited by Crunchy

Dear Chris,

I stand corrected.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

I am trying to get hold of a great war book collector called John Shaw. I hope you read this message. Can you privately message me back please.

I have just started The Middle Parts Of Fortune by  Frederic Manning  -  a classic i know, but I am ashamed to say, I am reading this for the first time.

What other 1920/1930's books -  written by men who were there should  keep a look our for?

:poppy:

7 hours ago, Paul bardell said:

What other 1920/1930's books -  written by men who were there should  keep a look our for?

:poppy:

Where to start? There are literally 1000s of them. If you search here for something like Best War Books you’ll get some pretty comprehensive lists. I hesitate to mention any as everyone will have different favourites. Suffice to say if you read Chapman’s ‘Passionate Prodigality’ or Lucy’s ‘Devil in the Drum’ you won’t go far wrong.

Dust Jacket Collector,

many thanks for these two ideas -  will be keeping an eye open for these and any others from now on.

Regards

Paul

I am reading ‘They Didn’t Want to Die Virgins: Sex and Morality in the British Army on the Western Front 1914-18’ by Bruce Cherry, published by Helion Books. My wife on the other hand is into ‘Great War Fashion’ by Lucy Adlington. We may swap in due course.

Cheers Martin B

Just finished reading the excellent ' We Were a Band of Brothers: The memoir of Captain Philip Heath ' .

On 17/01/2018 at 14:07, Uncle George said:

I've just started 'The Vanquished - Why the First World War Failed to End, 1917-1923' by Robert Gerwarth. 

I read this book in the autumn last year. I really opened my eyes as to what happened after the war "ended". It's an excellent read. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Keith

I had a hospital appointment yesterday so I took along a copy of 'The Thin Yellow Line' by William Moore to pass the time if I was required to wait.

A cracking read, I even had a feeling of disappointment when I heard my name called to see the Doctor.

Maxi.

New member of only a week or so. Only WWI book I've read is "They Called It Passchendale" by Lyn McDonald.  I really enjoyed it although not sure how it compares with other WWI books

On 1/17/2018 at 14:07, Uncle George said:

I've just started 'The Vanquished - Why the First World War Failed to End, 1917-1923' by Robert Gerwarth. 

2 hours ago, maxi said:

I had a hospital appointment yesterday so I took along a copy of 'The Thin Yellow Line' by William Moore to pass the time if I was required to wait.

A cracking read, I even had a feeling of disappointment when I heard my name called to see the Doctor.

Maxi.

Thanks lads, I was going to spend my pocket money on sweets and comics but now I'm to have to save up for this book given your recommendations.

1 hour ago, jaykaydee said:

New member of only a week or so. Only WWI book I've read is "They Called It Passchendale" by Lyn McDonald.  I really enjoyed it although not sure how it compares with other WWI books

Welcome to the forum JKD. If you want top tips about what to read next then this is the thread to keep an eye on. If you have any specific areas of interest just post a request and the chums will deluge you with recommendations.

Pete.

2 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Thanks lads, I was going to spend my pocket money on sweets and comics but now I'm to have to save up for this book given your recommendations.

Welcome to the forum JKD. If you want top tips about what to read next then this is the thread to keep an eye on. If you have any specific areas of interest just post a request and the chums will deluge you with recommendations.

Pete.

Cheers.

To be honest I've read a couple WWII books and then got speaking to my Mum who happened to mention that she thought my Granda had served in Ypres so thought I'd try and read a book about that campaign, without realising there were actually three Ypres campaigns. 

I'd like to find out more about what he did in the war and I'm just looking into how to go about that

1 minute ago, jaykaydee said:

Cheers.

To be honest I've read a couple WWII books and then got speaking to my Mum who happened to mention that she thought my Granda had served in Ypres so thought I'd try and read a book about that campaign, without realising there were actually three Ypres campaigns. 

I'd like to find out more about what he did in the war and I'm just looking into how to go about that

You are in the right place. Get everything you can find about your relative; but in the meantime have a look at the link to the Long Long Trail website at the top of the forum page, go to Soldiers and then click on 'How to Research a Soldier of the British Army'. Have a go at seeing what you can find, then put it all together and post it in the Soldiers sub-forum. The level of expertise on the forum in every area of WW1 is staggering. Best of luck.

Pete.

5 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

You are in the right place. Get everything you can find about your relative; but in the meantime have a look at the link to the Long Long Trail website at the top of the forum page, go to Soldiers and then click on 'How to Research a Soldier of the British Army'. Have a go at seeing what you can find, then put it all together and post it in the Soldiers sub-forum. The level of expertise on the forum in every area of WW1 is staggering. Best of luck.

Pete.

Thanks a lot, I'll do that

Cheers

images of war the r.a.m.c in the great war 

timothy McCracken

lots of rare photographs *

pen &sword  

Photographing the fallen a war graves photographer on the western front 1915-19

Jeremy Gordon-smith

pen &sword

excellent recommended  read *****

starts off with g.r.u ends up with c.w.g.c 

have also pre ordered both  the welsh at war

Steven John

pen &sword

mind still waiting for THE MENIN ROAD

MR NIGEL CAVE !!!!! to be printed ?? :wub:

I’ve just joined up on the forum as well. 

I just recently finished “Tommy” by Richard Holmes. It was the first complete book I’ve read on WWI, so it was a great primer. I thought his chapter on the cavalry was well done. I believe I saw a Ph.D thesis on the cavalry in WWI, so I’ll have to try to find that.

I am now reading “The White War” by Mark Thompson.

On 09/01/2018 at 19:56, Martin Bennitt said:

‘They Didn’t Want to Die Virgins…’ by Bruce Cherry

Nominative determinism?

Edited by Nick Beale

I've just finished reading 'August 1914 - Surrender at St. Quentin' by John Hutton.  I first came across the St. Quentin incident in 'The Vanished Army' by Tim Carew, but it was only briefly mentioned there, this new book does go into the details in great depth.  The author does a very good job of describing the confusion of the retreat, coupled with the exhaustion of the troops which led to the breakdown of the two commanding officers.  What has always fascinated me is the image of Tom Bridges and his trooper marching round the square playing the drum and penny whistle from the toy shop to get the lads on their feet. 

The book did leave me with a great deal of sympathy for Elkington and Mainwairing, and much respect for Elkington who joined the French Foreign Legion to fight in the ranks until severely wounded.  A very good book, in my opinion.

Havn’t been around for a while but since I have been back on the Forum have had some new reading suggestions on 3rd Ypres.

What I am now wondering, is whether anyone is aware of anything new that may have been published on the 15th Scottish Division or 8th Seaforth.  I also have an interest in the 1st Seaforth 1914/1915.

Thanks,

Hazel C.