Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What WW1 books are you reading?

andigger

About to start "August 1914: France, the Great War, and a Month That Changed the World Forever" by Bruno Cabanes.  From the Amazon description:

Bruno Cabanes renders an intimate, narrative-driven study of the first weeks of World War I in France. Told from the perspective of ordinary women and men caught in the flood of mobilization, this revealing book deepens our understanding of the traumatic impact of war on soldiers and civilians alike.

https://www.amazon.com/August-1914-France-Changed-Forever/dp/0300208278

Just finished  'Through the German lines' by Captain N.P Clarke , which is the account of how he led a detached party of Royal Dublin fusiliers

and men from other regiments through the enemy lines to safety after the fighting around Le Cateau in August 1914.

A visit to a local recently opened second hand book emporium, produced a good clean copy of 'The Kaiser's Battle' by Martin Middlebrook, which have wanted to read ever since reading his 'First day on the Somme'.  Also a signed copy of 'The Most Secret Place on Earth' (Elveden and the early tanks).

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

'Sepoys In The Trenches' by Gordon Corrigan. A good read, and just what you'd expect from him.

• 3 weeks later...

The Loss of our Galicia, vol.2: The catastrophe of the 3rd army (Потеря Галиции в 1915 часть II катастрофа 3-й армии), by Bonch-Bruevich.

Bruevich is the only Russian author who dealt with the traumatic defeat in 1915 in details up to this date. The book gathers large materials from Russian archive and thus proves to be a valuable contribution to the understanding to the most fantastic breakthrough in the Great War. The reading is slow since I need to read it in conjunction with the Sbornik Dokumentov for Galician Campaign.

BTW, the book Gorlice 1915 by general Francois is exceedingly hard to find in hardcopy. It's obviously a very rare book.

Edited by Brusilov

Just read Lord Carver's book on the campaigns v Turkey - which I found useful to reduce my ignorance of Palestine & Mespotamia, less so for Gallipoli where I have read several more in depth studies and walked the battlefields.

Then I read JohnTerraine's To Win A War, his account of the western front in 1918 - which is an impressive work indeed; not so much for the account of what went on where on the battlefield, but the behind the scenes political machinations, expecially those leading up to the Armistice are as good as I've read in a condensed format. 

Moving on the the 1st Day of the Somme next - Gommecourt to be precise and Alan Donald's twin tomes on the 46th & 56th Divisions - small print, lots of pages - it may take some time!

On 8/10/2007 at 21:34, Gyrene said:

I'm currently reading Showalter's book on Tannenberg; it's definitely not for an amateur.

Well, I haven't read that - or even see it, to be honest... But I have just bought and started reading his Instrument of War: the German Army 1914-1918. Some slightly annoying modernisms in the text, but is certainly proving to be interesting for an amateur like myself (as was that tome put together by some Hastings' chappie on events in 1914... (now to take cover, and as I am currently in Munich airport of all places so hopefully there will be noch ein bunker fuer mich!)

I certainly enjoyed his book. In emails with Dennis we have compared some ideas. I would highly recommend his book as it is very easy-to-read. I find him and Jack Sheldon both have a gift for telling a story that I certainly do not have. 

on the pile to read - 

Good Bye To The Battlefields by H A Taylor  -  a 1928 1st edition.

followed by

Pill Boxes on the Western Front by Peter Oldham.

I have started gathering a collection of Books about Kut. Just bought Besieged in Kut and After, The Long Road To Baghdad and A Kut Prisoner. Which others should I look out for, bearing in mind I collect only books printed between 1914 and 1939?

I have finally got around to reading "McCrae's Battalion" by Jack Alexander which I bought several months ago,and am wondering why I took so long to start it. A tremendous read: the scrupulously researched descriptions of the raising of the 16th Royal Scots and its links to Hearts and other football teams around Edinburgh and the battalion's subsequent actions on July 1, 1916 and after are full of detail linked to experiences of individuals from Sir George McCrae downwards are enthralling. One of the best Great War books I have read for a long time.

Cheers Martin B

I am have been reading details on the Battle of Bullecourt recently, including:

A Greater Sum of Sorrow, by David Coombes

qXiGcb.jpg

And, The Battles of Bullecourt 1917 also by David Coombes

sbrP08.png

Both I have found to be excellent reads. The second is more of an 'executive summary' of the first, but for those interested includes details of weaponry, size and organisation of units, and detail on trenches with diargrams on construction. 

They are both fluid and readable.

Mark

Hello!

I just started "Der Kampfwagenkrieg" (Tank warfare) fron the austrian General of the Artillery Ludwig Ritter v. Eimannsberger.

He analysed the main battles in 1918 and shows a "future" of tank warfare (the book came out in 1933, I´ve got the 2nd edition of 1938).

His tactical and strategical ideas of tank warfare were used by the german army in WW2..

Index: (236 pages)

I. Einleitung (introduction)
II. Tankschlachten des großen Krieges (tank battles of the great war)
III. Bilanz 1918 (balance 1918)
IV. Überprüfung der Bilanz (examination of the balance)
V. Entwicklung der Panzerwaffe nach dem Kriege (development of the tanks after the war)
VI. Abwehr (defence)
VII. Angriff (attack)
VIII. Zusammenfassung (summary)

Scannen0001.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

11 hours ago, other ranker said:

I have started gathering a collection of Books about Kut. Just bought Besieged in Kut and After, The Long Road To Baghdad and A Kut Prisoner. Which others should I look out for, bearing in mind I collect only books printed between 1914 and 1939?

A few that come to mind from your period :-

On the Road to Kut by 'Black Tab'

Other Ranks of Kut by P.W.Long

Remembering Kut by Dorina Neave

The Sufferings of the Kut Garrison during their march into Turkey.

3 hours ago, The Prussian said:

I just started "Der Kampfwagenkrieg" (Tank warfare) from the Austrian General of the Artillery Ludwig Ritter v. Eimannsberger.

Interesting, Andy, and I hope you will come back when you've finished the book and tell us, in particular, how it compares with Heinz Guderian's 'Achtung - Panzer!' (1937).

19 hours ago, SiegeGunner said:

Interesting, Andy, and I hope you will come back when you've finished the book and tell us, in particular, how it compares with Heinz Guderian's 'Achtung - Panzer!' (1937).

Hello Mick!

I would like to do that, but I only have the reprint of Guderian´s book. Unfortunately it´s only in english language available. So I stil haven´t read it. I´ll try to get the original german exposure, but that´ll be impossible...

Well, I can write in english, I can read english in the forums, I can talk in english, but reading a whole book seems to be too difficulty for me...

Just lined up my summer reading (and spent my amazon credit)

Beckett, Bowman and Connelly, 2017, The British Army and the First World War.

Hart 2013 "The Great War: A Combat History of the First World War" (which somehow escaped my notice until now)

Lloyd 2017 "Passchendaele The Lost Victory of WWI"

and finally - if I get to it - the monumental looking

Faulkner,  2017 "Pershing's Crusaders The American Soldier in WWI"

some may call it unfocused but I prefer eclectic!

Chris

3 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Hello Mick!

I would like to do that, but I only have the reprint of Guderian´s book. Unfortunately it´s only in english language available. So I stil haven´t read it. I´ll try to get the original german exposure, but that´ll be impossible...

The Internet Archive (Archive.org) has two files, which however appear to come from the same source, so really one file. 

https://archive.org/details/GuderianHeinzAchtungPanzer1937

https://archive.org/details/heinz-guderian-achtung-panzer-1937

Due to the way it displays with four pages, if you want to read it online, rather than downloading it, first click on the lower 'Search inside' icon, then select the single page option (bottom right hand side of the book reader), which will then show two pages, not four. Or go to this link

https://archive.org/stream/GuderianHeinzAchtungPanzer1937/GuderianHeinz-Achtung-panzer1937#page/n1/mode/1up

Cheers

Maureen

Hello Maureen!

Thank you very much!!!!!!! I didn´t know, that it was available on pdf!

Now I can read it, when I´m finished with Eimannsberger!

If I can´t get the original book "as a real book", I will print the pdf and let it bind!

5 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Hello Mick!

Well, I can write in english, I can read english in the forums, I can talk in english, but reading a whole book seems to be too difficulty for me...

The paperback edition in English is only about 200 pages (of tiny print), so I'm sure you will be able to manage it ... especially while you still have the content of Eimannsberger's book fresh in your memory.

Yes, I´ ve got the paperback edition. I just downloaded the original version, will copy it on my mobile, so I can read it in bed (my favourite place to read something...), but this weekend I won´t be able to read, because I´ve got a long weekend, we´ll get about 32°C and I live near a lake, where I can get a couple of delicious brown bottles...

Cheers, mates!

20160507_174524.jpg

002 - Kopie.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

No contest  ...  go for the brown bottles and have a great weekend!

I don't mean to distract you from Eimannsberger, but Guderian evidently covers much the same ground.  I shall be interested to hear whether Eimannsberger was personally involved in anti-tank warfare during the Great War.  Guderian evidently did not even get inside a tank until about 1929 ... but he must have been a fast learner.

Cheers

Mick

Hello Mick!

I took a look into both books about the anti-tank warfare. As far as I read, both are talking about the post-war era.

There are only two chapters about WW1 in Eimannsberger and Guderian

• 2 weeks later...

Three different books:

Diary of Section VIII, American Ambulance Field Service (original copy)

Ambulance No.10 by Leslie Bushwell

The Somme by Peter Hart.

After this batch I'm going to start either Chemical Soldiers: British Gas Warfare in World War One by Donald Ritcher or From Imperial Splendor to Internment: The German Navy in the First World War by Nicolas Wolz.

I'm also looking to pick up a copy of Castles

of Steel by Robert K. Massie, as Dreadnought was fantastic. I'm also on the lookout for anything similar to Tommy by Richard Holmes.

Just finished Vimy: The Battle and the Legend by Tim Cook. It gives a very detailed account of the battle, then provides insight into the importance of Vimy to Canadians. It examines the phrase "birth of a nation" and also gives context for how the monument and the battle have been remembered over the last century. I couldn't give it higher praise so be sure to give it a go!

Next up will be (as soon as it is released) The Road to Passchendaele: The Heroic Year in Soldiers' own Words and Photographs By Richard Van Emden. Who isn't looking forward to reading this one over the centennial?!

All the best for now,

- Jordan