Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What WW1 books are you reading?

andigger

Just finished "Late in the Day" by Ernest Raymond - a superb and witty little story of one old soldier of 14-18 settling into retirement and re-visiting his old battlefield.

Thoroughly recommended.

Struggled with "England Their England" by A. G.. MacDonell - sort of similar tale of an ex-junior office, veteran of Ypres 1917 settling back into civilian life.

Interested to hear if any other members have read the above?

So, currently a little way into F.P. Crozier's "The Men I Killed" - rather a departure form his earlier "Brass Hat in No-Man's Land" but I'm only on page 48...

Can certainly recommend "Brass Hat..." though, a lot easier to find as well.

Guest Pete Wood

I'm now most of the way through 'Aristocracy and the Great War,' by Gerald Gliddon - and just starting to appreciate why so many grand houses have been bequeathed to the National Trust.....

Oh how I wish Gliddon had created an index, though....

• Admin

Letters of Agar Adamson, a real gem which I notice has received glowing testimonials on another thread!

Michelle :blink:

Mametz Wood- Renshaw

IWM Western Front- Brown

Battlefield Tourism- Lloyd

Fields of Memory- Roze

The best?

Western Front for readability

Field of Memory for sheer visual power

Mametz Wood- I live in Wales and this is a concise account

Battlefield tourism- when I feel intellectual

Oh yes- her indoors does see me sometimes!

A good new biography of Foch, can't tell you author, it's at home, next if it gets here tomorrow The Paris Gun, N & M Press reprint of 1930 book, otherwise reread Ann Clayton's fine bio of Chavasse.

Re-reading Keegan's 'Face of Battle' again ... it's one of those books you can always go back to when you've got nothing new on the shelf!

The above in conjunction with Chris McCarthey's 'Somme Day by Day Account'. I bow to superior knowledge on this one but it seems very good for my purposes.

Also borrowed 'The Illustrated History of World War One' from library last week. Written by a US academic called Andy Wiest.

Nice enough book ... but make sure you use your library ticket. Very flick through. IMHO

Hello

Have just finished Voices of the Great War.

Don't normally like personal accounts but thoroughly enjoyed this one. Nice light reading. Ideal for the bus as I find opening large maps in the bus to be a bit awkward sometimes.

Dikke Bertha

Just finished a first rate book 'Paris 1919' by Margaret MacMillan. (recommend)

At the moment I'm reading 'The Great War As I Saw It' by Canon Frederick Scott. This is the third time I've read this book; there's something about the man that keeps me coming back. (recommend)

Next on the list is 'Friends of France: The Field Service of The American Ambulance described by its members' published in 1916. (I'll let you know :D )

Paul - Please let me know your thoughts on the Foch biography when you've finished. Thanks.

Garth

Have just finished reading 'The Man Who Disobeyed' by A J Smithers, about Smith-Dorrien. Very good read IMO and I will post a better review in due course.

Just started to read Tim Travers 'The Killing Ground', which is shaping up to be a good book sort i like in the sense that he quotes loads of references so I know where to go for info etc. Not saying that I agree with all said but certainly at the moment it has answered some questions I have been asking. Would recommend this book as it amkes you think....I think It has been recommended before on this site.

Regards

Arm.

Half way through MAGNIFICENT BUT NOT WAR The Second Battle Of Ypres 1915

by John Dixon.

Excellent easy to read informative book,would recommend.

Regards Doug

Currently 42nd Division history.

Absolutely fascinating account that I can wholeheartedly recommend with the usual proviso.............

...............First, have an interest in 42 Division.

John

Doug,

looked at this in the Pro shop the other day at £25 and picked it up a few times and the price made me put it down each time. I would be interested in the info content on General Snow and the Currie incident if it is mentioned to make me consider buying it at that sort of price, though i have a fascination for this particular battle anyway.

May have to be a present.

Arm.

Ps did you get the post of Coltman, sorry about the condition!!!!

Currently reading the History of The First World War by B H Liddell Hart, 1970 edition.

Quite by chance I hadn't read it up to now but it's been worth the wait so far.

Spike

Just finished reading "The Unreturning Army" by Huntley Gordon.

It is superb if interested in the R.F.A.

I am trying to finish "Warrior" by Lord Mottistone, but am finding it more of a trial.

Tim

At the moment I'm reading 'The Great War As I Saw It' by Canon Frederick Scott. This is the third time I've read this book; there's something about the man that keeps me coming back. (recommend)

I agree this one IS a gem. (I have a first edition signed by Scott)

Finished reading 'WIPERS' by Tim Carew.

This is about the 1st Ypres, and a fantastic book, from cover to cover!

(Tim also wrote the book 'The Vanished Army' about the 'old contemptible army' in 1914-another hit! if you can find it)

The Kaisers Battle by Martin Middlebrook.............

(and it's a damn site more interesting than "Fiscal framework for social inclusion and health within local government 2004-5" which is what I am supposed to reading!)

"Fiscal framework for social inclusion and health within local government 2004-5"

Matt

Ahhh. Happy days (not).

That sort of document sits at No. 7 on my list of things I don't miss, since retiring from the public sector.

John

Just started to read "Forgotten Voices" by Max Arthur.i know from lot's of previous postings many of you have red this.it's good so far.

i was in WH Smiths today and bought "The Road to Verdun" by Ian Ousby,to read when i've red Forgotten Voices.

Steven :)

Guest MRS STEVEN

am now reading "women and the first world war" by susan r grayzel. looks to be o.k so far will let you know when i finish it. it has some interesting points on how westen goverments used womens "views" as a basis for recuitment campaigns.

amanda xx

Currently I am reading " De Stilte van de Salient " written by Johan Meire. I wonder if this book is edited in English.

Gilbert Deraedt :)