The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

25th Battalion, Manchester Regiment

PDW

A friend here in Canberra has asked me to try to find out about her dad who served in 25 Battalion of the Manchester Regiment.

Can any of the pals offer advice about an online account ( even a brief one) of where the battalion was from when it was raised to late 1916? I searched around today but failed to find anything useful.

Later on I will locate his service record but if there are any tips about how to go about that then feel free to offer them.

His name was John Coucill, no 10371. His service dates from Sept 1914 to Sept 1916 when he got out due to illness. I am guessing the 25th Battalion was not formed as early as Sept 1914 so he may have served first in another unit.

Peter

Peter,

You can find plenty of info about the Manchester Regiment via this website:

here and their associated forum.

From their pages the following appears about the 25th:

Formed about Sept 1915, as a local reserve Batt. From depot coys of 16th, 17th, & 18th Batt’s. Nov 1915 Prees Heath in 16th Reserve Bde. Dec 1915 to Southport. May 1916 Altcar. 1.9.16 became 69th Training Reserve Batt. At Altcar in 16th Reserve Bde.

You will also find many helpful people here with info about the Manchesters, and most likely, the man yo are after.

Happy hunting!

Cheers,

Dave

Peter

The Manchester City Battalions Book of Honour records him as a member of 9 Platoon, C Company, 18th Battalion. It must be that he transferred at some point to the 25th Battalion. However, as indicated by Dave, the 25th never served abroad - yet it is this battalion shown on his medal index card at the National Archives website. It must be an error.

If your friend downloads it, it is likely to give a date when he went overseas and this may confirm that in fact he saw some overseas duty with the 18th.

The Book also notes a J T Coucill as being an employee of E Rothwell & Sons. It's an unusual surname and the book also has employer "adverts" mentioning three other men of this surname. Perhaps they are all related?

You'll find some information about the recruitment and training of the 18th Battalion here and some about their part in the 1 JUly 1916 attack here; the 9 July attack here and the 30 July attack here

Apart from Michael Stedman's book "Manchester Pals" (which you'll see referenced) , there is also a Battalion History (reprinted by Naval & Military Press). Although "other ranks" almost never get mentioned by name in the official war diary, I have a copy of it which someone sent me ages ago and am happy to look up any specific dates for you.

John

Description

Medal card of Coucill, John

Corps Regiment No Rank

25th Battalion Manchester Regiment 10371 Private

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/5links to the Catalogue

the card is available here:-

TNA medal card link

we're happy to look up the medal roll references for you if you would like, i don't think his records are available on ancestry (yet?) although another john coucill's records may well be

pte 10371 john coucill was wounded in early february 1916

the men in the 16th,17th,18th and 19th battalions had to go through various stages before they ended up with their respective battalions.

using the 18th batt as an example.

john would have been posted to the 18th batt after his medical,he would then go to the 25th res battalion.

during their time with the 25th,men would be assessed for transfer to other units,selected for commissions, or discharged as unfit.

those that remained,went to the 69th training reserve,for training in musketry,drill,etc.

then they were posted back to their battalions.

the reference to john being in the 25th batt,means he must have been reposted back to it,after being wounded.

mack

Mack

Thanks Mack. And thanks to the others who have helped. I have shown it all on to Lyn (daughter of John Coucill) and she is delighted. She said I should tell you that you are all "fine fellows".

Peter

pte 10371 john coucill was wounded in early february 1916

the men in the 16th,17th,18th and 19th battalions had to go through various stages before they ended up with their respective battalions.

using the 18th batt as an example.

john would have been posted to the 18th batt after his medical,he would then go to the 25th res battalion.

during their time with the 25th,men would be assessed for transfer to other units,selected for commissions, or discharged as unfit.

those that remained,went to the 69th training reserve,for training in musketry,drill,etc.

then they were posted back to their battalions.

the reference to john being in the 25th batt,means he must have been reposted back to it,after being wounded.

mack

• 1 year later...
A friend here in Canberra has asked me to try to find out about her dad who served in 25 Battalion of the Manchester Regiment.

Can any of the pals offer advice about an online account ( even a brief one) of where the battalion was from when it was raised to late 1916? I searched around today but failed to find anything useful.

Later on I will locate his service record but if there are any tips about how to go about that then feel free to offer them.

His name was John Coucill, no 10371. His service dates from Sept 1914 to Sept 1916 when he got out due to illness. I am guessing the 25th Battalion was not formed as early as Sept 1914 so he may have served first in another unit.

Peter

Hi Peter I would be very grateful if you could PM me regarding the above posting, I have some useful information about John Coucill that your friend may be interested in.

Cooley (Manchester England)