Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental numbering - Devonshire Regiment....

Bob Chandler

My relative Albert Chandler was in the Devonshire Regt (Battalion n/k) no. 55012 then transferred to 7th Btn SLI no. 28024. Could anyone with a knowledge of the numbering of these regiments tell me whether the numbers give any clues as to dates of enlistment/transfer? Also, any idea why he would have transferred? Albert died of wounds 3rd December 1917. Many thanks, Charles

I know nothing of the Devonshire or SLI Regts., but I have had a quick look at 2 numbers close to 55012.

55010 Taylor, William James was conscripted and mobilised to Reading 10-2-1917. Sent to France 26-2-1917. transferred to Labour Corp 28-4-1917.

55015 Clarke, George William attested 9-12-1915 and was mobilised to Reading 10-2-1917. Sent to France 26-2-1917 as Inf. Lab. Coy, 3rd, and was transferred to Labour Corp 28-4-1917.

Given there are many that were transferred to the SLI, they must have undergone training there and was transferred after selection. I cannot find a SLI number close to comfirm when this happened. I would have thought though that it is likely that 10-2-1917 is a likely enlistment date and maybe he went out in a Labour Company.

Regards Kevin

Kevin

The MIC does not show a Labour Corps number for Albert Chandler so I wonder whether after conscription into the Devon's 3rd Infantry Labour Company he was found to be medically fit enough for service in an Infantry unit and so transferred to SLI?

Ivor

Quote, "The MIC does not show a Labour Corps number for Albert Chandler so I wonder whether after conscription into the Devon's 3rd Infantry Labour Company he was found to be medically fit enough for service in an Infantry unit and so transferred to SLI?

Ivor "

Very likely. Anything may have happened to him. I was just trying to help with his first enlistment into the Devonshire Regt.. I think those records of men that were transferred into the SLI may give a better understanding of what happened.

Kevin

"I cannot find a SLI number close to comfirm when this happened. "

Don't know if it helps but Abel Beaver's (8th Btn) SLI number was 26604 and it is believed that he went to France in August 1916. Is this number, perhaps, close enough to do some calculations? (I don't know how quickly the army would have processed the next 1420 numbers.)

Mabel