Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Paul Reed

Can anyone supply details of a regimental history or any WW1 battalion histories to the Royal Warwickshire Regiment?

I would appreciate details of the publisher and date of publication, if possible please.

Thanks in advance.

I have "The Story of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment (formerly the Sixth Foot)" by Charles Lethbridge Kingsford, covers the period 1674 - 1920.

"Military Publications by D P & G , P.O.Box 186, Doncaster, S. Yorks, England DN4 0HN".

There is no ISBN number or date of publication although I am sure it was sometime in the 1920's.

I got my copy from the Regimental Museum in Warwick several years ago (obviously a reprint).

There is another book covering the period from 1920 onwards, but I do not have any further details of it.

regards

Richard

BLACK SQUARE MEMORIES An Acccount of the 2/8th Battalion The Royal Warwickshire Regiment 1914 -1918.

By H T Chidgey (An Officer of the same battalion)

Published

Startford upon Avon : Printed at the Shakespeare Head Press

Oxford: Basil Blackwell

------------------

The First Birmingham Battalion in the Great War 1914-1919

Being a History of the 14th (Service) Battalion of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment

by J E B Fairclough

published by Cornish Brothers, Birmingham 1933

-----------------------

The 11th Royal Warwicks in France 1915-16

(from the personal diary of its commanding officer)

by Brevet Colonel C S Collinson, DSO

Published by Cornish Brothers, Birmingham, 1928

-------------------

By God They Can Fight

A History of the 143rd Infantry Brigade 1908 to 1995

by Peter Caddick-Adams

Published by the 143rd (West Midlands) Brigade 1995

Copthorne Barracks

Shrewsbury SY3 8LZ

------------------

Seek Glory, Now Keep Glory

The story of the 1st Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment 1914-1918

by John Ashby

published in 2000 by Helion and Company isbn 1 874622 45 0

---------------

The War Record of the 1/5th Battalion The Royal Warwickshire Regt

by Lieut Charles Carrington

Cornish Brothers, B'ham 1922

---------------------

History of the 1/6th Battalion The Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Cornish Brothers, B'ham 1922 (Cannot find author)

------------------

8th Battalion The Royal Warwickshire Regiment

A short description of the battle of Beaumont-Hamel, 1st July 1916

Compiled from accounts of survivors

March 12th 1918

Brig general W R Ludlow (private circulation only) (i can get a photo-copy)

-------------

15th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regt (2nd Birmingham Battalion) in the Great War

by Major C A Bill

Cornish brothers, B'ham 1932

---------------------

History of the 2/6th Bn The Royal Warwickshire Regt 1914-1919

Cornish brothers, 1929

Many thanks indeed; I had hoped you both might answer. Just what I wanted. I am about to add some details of the Royal Warwicks to my website, so this is great.

Paul, another important and indispensible source is the "The Seventh Division 1914-1918" bt C.T. Atkinson (originally published November 1926).

Published by Naval & Military Press.

This includes 2nd Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment in 22nd Brigade, 7th Division, 1914-1918.

regards

Richard

Paul, don't forget "Some Desperate Glory" by Edwin Campion Vaughan. Diary of a young officer in the 1/8th Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

Regards

Terry

"Some Desperate Glory" is an excellent book. This brought to mind another book written by a soldier who served in the 1/7th Royal Warwicks from embarkation in May 1915 until being commissioned at the end of 1916.

It is 'The Fateful Battle Line' The Great War journals and sketches of Captain Henry Ogle, M.C.

Edited and introduced by Michael Glover

Published by Pen & Sword, 1993 ISBN 0 85052 560 8

Terry

Another book that mentions the 1st Battalion Royal Warwicks is Bruce Bairnsfathers 'Bullets and Billets'. From the period he arrived at the battalion just before Xmas, 1914, until he was wounded in April 1915.

Another book that covers several battalions of the Warwicks is an excellent read and is called 'Our Harry's War 1914-1918'

published by Ryden, Sandhurst, Berks in 2002 ISBN 0 9542193 0 9

An account of a Brummie who served in the 1st, 10th and 11th battalions during the war.

Terry

• 15 years later...
  • 5 years later...
On 06/02/2004 at 17:57, Terry Carter said:

8th Battalion The Royal Warwickshire Regiment

A short description of the battle of Beaumont-Hamel, 1st July 1916

Compiled from accounts of survivors

March 12th 1918

Brig general W R Ludlow (private circulation only) (i can get a photo-copy)

It is attached here1st-8th RWR Battle of Hamel.pdf

sorry , late to the party..

Ive downloaded the war diary for the 10th Warwick's . my interest is that a great uncle was killed with the 8th Gloucester's and is buried in Connaught Cemetery , previously interred in Battery Valley, just down the hill side. The 10th Warwick war diary has a fuller account of the days events for Nov 18th 1916 as they were also there.  The Glosters diary only has a couple of lines.

IS there any books available that cover the time , as an aside, I do have a trio and plaque to a Warwicks casualty who died on reaching Contay CCS having been wounded earlier in the day at Battery Valley.

4 minutes ago, chaz said:

sorry , late to the party..

Ive downloaded the war diary for the 10th Warwick's . my interest is that a great uncle was killed with the 8th Gloucester's and is buried in Connaught Cemetery , previously interred in Battery Valley, just down the hill side. The 10th Warwick war diary has a fuller account of the days events for Nov 18th 1916 as they were also there.  The Glosters diary only has a couple of lines.

IS there any books available that cover the time , as an aside, I do have a trio and plaque to a Warwicks casualty who died on reaching Contay CCS having been wounded earlier in the day at Battery Valley.

Save you transcribing it 10Bn RWR

Front Line Trenches 18-11-16 Sat: Zero day, Zero hour 6.10am. Outposts were withdrawn after Battn moved into its assembly formation between 5-15am and 5.30am. Assembly formation was artillery formation of 4 waves - each wave consisting of 4 platoons, one of each Coy. Each Coy was distributed in depth and each Platoon divided into 1/2 Platoon groups at about 50 yards interval. Each group took cover in shell holes. Two waves were in front and 2 behind trenches occupied during the night.

6.10am Barrage opened and groups moved forwarded. By time leading wave had advanced 50yards in Battery Valley it became invisable to Battalion HQ owing to the darkness which was intensified by falling snow. Shortly after 6.30am C.O met O.C A Coy (Major Fitzgerald) coming back along Lucky Way with a few men and the latter informed him that everybody had lost direction and that he had been unable to get through the wire (R.14.d.8.6). Owing to the confusion and to heavy casualties he had considered it necessary to order the troops near him to withdraw Westward.

About 6.45am there was a good deal of shelling and M.G fire along Lucky Way & 2nd Lieut Gott (? regt) was killed. About 7.am CO reported to Brigade that the attack on our front had been unsuccessful & that it was not clear what was happening on the flanks. About 7.20am one or two wounded men of C&D Coys reported that these Coys had borne to the left at the bend in Battery Valley and gone on with the 8 Gloucesters. C&D and about 22 men of A&B Coys appear to have pushed through with the Gloucesters endeavored to consolidate beyond O.G.2 in neighbourhood of R.8.d.8.1 but were ultimately compelled to withdraw and hold on to O.G.1. A bombing post under Sergt Kimberley being established where the road joins the trench about R.14.d.4.8. This NCO did excellent work and held on to this post stubbonly till the 8/Gloucesters were ordered to withdraw on the night of 19/20th. He captured enemy ration parties coming out of the village on two successive nights. Just as it was getting dark an attempt was made by 9th Cheshire R to assault Desire Trench to the W of Stump Road. The Res Battn bombers and about 30 men were sent under the Bombing Officer to work in cooperation along Lucky Way. In the evening the Battn was relieved by the 9th R.W.F (left of Lucky Way) & 6th Wilts (right of Lucky Way) Coys proceeded to Wellington Huts. END

8th Bn Glosters

Cromwall Huts - 17/11/16: Marched out of Cromwell Huts and 4.30pm and took over front line trenches from 7th L.N. Lancs R.

Grandcourt - 18/11/16: 5am - Formed up in artillery formation preparatory to attack on W outskirts of Grandcourt.

6.10pm attack launched, first objective reached and carried. The 10th R War R on our right being partially held up our flank was up in the air. Casualties. 12 officers, 283 OR.

Grandcourt - 19/11/16: New line dug by 56th Bde 500yrds in rear of our position. This was occupied by the 7th Kings Own R when this battalion was withdrawn (3am) and marched back to billets in Cromwell Huts at 5am.

Are you aware of http://www.worcestershireregiment.com/bat_8_timeline.php

thanks, as I said, more informative than Gloucesters diary.

Here are the major points listed.  The map is from 13/11/1916.  I've interpreted Lucky Way as the north south road just short of the wire as this accords with the narrative, particularly as the attack veered to the left.  However, another map of the same era implies Lucky Way was a trench just a little south of this map extract.

image.png.31ebeb08b66c27b58a0589de7209b408.png.

Also in action a little further south that day were the 1st/8th North Staffs and the 10th Worcesters who were involved in mopping up during the attack on Grandcourt. N Staffs diary already on website - Worcesters to follow very soon. I have so far published details of 2 RWR, 1 each of N Staffs, Worcester and Gloucester. Will post the Worcesters diary later today

Marlborought Huts 17.11.16: Training carried on during the morning, bombs B.A.A. Rockets etc. served out to Bn. Conference of officers at 3pm on operations to be carried out next morning. Bn marched off 3pm to STUFF REDOUBT and remained there until 3am 18.11.16.

Regina Trench 18.11.16: Soup and Rum served out to Bn. previous to forming up to attack DESIRE Trench the O.G.L [old German line]. Snow fell during the night and it was very cold. Exactly at 6.10am the Artillery Barrage opened and the first wave moved off, keeping quite close to the Barrage. After commencement of operations all touch seemed to have been lost with the Battn. The attack having failed, the survivors made their way as best they could to the O.B.l. from where the attack started from in the morning. One officer 2 Lieut A. Sillern in temporary command of Bn. then left. Casualties 17 officers 317 O.R. [other ranks].

Regina Trench 19.11.16:
Still holding front trench. Very little hostile artillery but plenty of sniping going on. Bn relieved at 10pm and returned to Marlborough Huts under the Command of Lieut G. P. Smith who had gone to front line and taken over temporary command earlier in the day.Total number returned who had taken part in the attack were 1 Officer, 171 O.R.

4 hours ago, WhiteStarLine said:

Here are the major points listed.  The map is from 13/11/1916.  I've interpreted Lucky Way as the north south road just short of the wire as this accords with the narrative, particularly as the attack veered to the left.  However, another map of the same era implies Lucky Way was a trench just a little south of this map extract.

image.png.31ebeb08b66c27b58a0589de7209b408.png.

Many thanks for this - I have placed it on my website - here is one page it is on  https://www.swfhs.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2915:2ndlt-wd-henderson&catid=16:the-men-who-fell-in-ww1#trench-map-with-key-point

War diary for 10th Worcester's which nicely ties in the actions of the Brigade and to me shows how the army learned lessons as only yesterday I transcribed a Report on Operations from earlier in the war where the CO was bemoaning the fact that he lost men because they had gone past a lot of the enemy hiding in shell holes during an attack and were then attacked from the rear. He suggested clearing up parties in that report.

Trenches [near Grandcourt] - 1916 Nov 18: On the night of the 17/18th 1 Coy joined the 8th N Staffs to act as a clearing up party, ½ a Coy joined the 10th R Warwicks and 1½ joined 8th Glos also to act as a clearing up party in the attack. One company and Lewis Guns were kept in reserve.

The Brigade attacked at 6.10am on Grandcourt and surrounding trenches, our clearing up parties followed up the various battalions of the Brigade clearing out all dugouts & old trenches but did not meet with any great resistance.

After doing their jobs they remained in the shell holes & old trenches sniping at any targets & at dusk men began to return to Battn HQ.

Our casualties were rather heavy – 5 killed; 41 wounded & 50 missing (OR). Officer casualties 1 killed, 1 wounded, 2 missing believed killed and 1 missing.

During the morning the Lewis Guns and ½ a coy were ordered to go up as reinforcements to the front line & was done without casualties.