The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniforms in the Zeebrugge Raid

Regulus 1

We still are having a few question marks about the uniforms worn in the Zeebrugge Raid 1918, especially concerning Brock And Harrison. Has anyone ever seen any proof of what kind of uniform they were wearing ? Navy blue or khaki ?

Best from Johan

Brock was in khaki, I know now for certain.

But what about Harrison ?

I don't know off hand, my friend, but will do a bit of digging in my files to see if they shed any light...

Best regards,

Dom

Dom,

Great, thank you very much ! B)

Best from Johan

Johan, do not have any info re uniforms etc., but here is an award for action in FLANDERS / Ypre ;

ROSEVEAR Stanley W Canadian Flt.S/Lt. RNAS 85T156 & 157 N/E

C-in-C France 17.11.17 Gazetted

R.N.A.S. Officers - Attacks Enemy Machines in Flanders 1917. DSC

For acts of gallantry performed on the following occasions :-

On the 16th August, 1917, he shot down an Albatross Scout, which crashed near Menin.

On the 19th September, 1917, this officer shot down an Albatross Scout which he followed down, and saw crash between Zandvoorte and Beccleare.

On the 17th October, 1917, he shot down a D.F.W. two-seater which is reported by the 1st ANZAC's to have crashed near Veldhock.

This officer has also driven down two enemy machines out of control, on the 14th August, 1917, and one on the 26th August, 1917.

Flt.S/Lt. Rosevear, has also carried out some very useful low flying work.

On the 20th September, 1917, he fired on and scattered about 100 Infantry, North of Becclaere, from 400 feet and also fired into scattered parties of troops along the Ypres Roulers Railway.

On the 12th October, 1917, he attacked and scattered from a height of 100 feet, a party of about 100 Infantry who were in formation behind a house south of Passchendaele.

Have more such,

Regards Sadsac

Sadsac

You've lost me. What does a citation for an airman in the Royal Naval Air Service in 1917 have to do with with the amphibious Zeebrugge Raid in April 1918? FSL Rosevear may have flown in the sky near Zeebrugge, but he certainly wasn't on board one of the ships that attacked the sea arm of the U-boat base - he was killed when his Camel (B6231) crashed at Nouex-les-Auxi two days after the Zeebrugge action.

Gareth

Sorry Gareth - it has nothing to do with Zeebrugge Raid of course, BUT I noticed that Johan comes from Jabbecke in Belgium and has as his interest Hunter Squadrons in the Flanders area.

My posting was directed to him `for his interest'.

Apologies for going off on `another tack' - just thought it may be some help to him.

Regards Sadsac

Indeed, one of my main interests ! <_<

Now, I hear a lot of criticism in other topics on Zeebrugge, so where is the proof what uniforms they were wearing ? Any accounts on them ? Photo's made just before ?