The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Inspectorate of Fighting Vehicles

tanks3

Hello everyone,

Not sure if this is the correct place to be posting this or not. Could well be more akin to WW2 but I am sure someone will put me straight.

I have come across some enamel badges to the Inspectorate of Fighting Vehicles. I am not sure if these are genuine so my first question is who or what are/were the Inspectorate of Fighting Vehicles. My second question is, is this a government or MOD body and lastly are they still in existence? If not over what period of time were they embodied and when did they cease?

All help gratefully received

Thanks

Tanks3

From a look at The National Archive, they appear to have been a department within the Directorate General of Fighting Vehicles and Engineer Equipment. I worked in this directorate in the early 1960s. It was originally a part of the Ministry of Supply, later War Office, then MoD(Army). I don't know if it still exists, or in what form. I'd say that the Inspectorate probably originated in WW2 - but am open to correction! ;)

Jim

Tanks3

I don't (or didn't) - but this note from the National Archives website probably answers your question:

The Inspectorate of Fighting Vehicles was transferred to the War Office in 1962 following the abolition of the Ministry of Supply in 1959 and its subsequent transfer to the Ministry of Aviation. It was redesignated the Inspectorate of Fighting Vehicles and Mechanical Equipment (IFVME). With the formation of the Ministry of Defence Procurement Executive in 1971 the inspectorate was retitled Quality Assurance Directorate (Fighting Vehicles and Engineering Equipment) QAD(FE).

The Quality Assurance role, in modern terms, probably describes their original and continuing purpose.

Regards

Jim

PS - I'd just add that the TNA entry states that the "records are accruing", so the Directorate seems to still exist in MoD.

Jim,

Sorry to be a pain but am I right in thinking the Inspectorate therefore had teams of people who went to the factories to inspect the vehicles for quality control purposes prior to despatch to the Army?

Thanks

Tanks3

Tanks3

No problem, mate, but again, I don't know, though I'd guess the Inspectorate would have inspectors going into suppliers' factories and would likely also be responsible for defining quality standards/procedures for suppliers to work to.

As mentioned earlier, the Inspectorate appears to have been set up by the Ministry of Supply at the time of WW2.

Regards

Jim