Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bookrecommendations for a "rookie"

Guest pieter2004

Guest pieter2004

Hello everybody, i have always been interested in the great war/ww 1 and am now in the process of planning trips to the most famous/important battlefields/sights. The problem is that my knowledge about the whole war is based solely on what i have seen on tv (documentaries etc).......... i havent read a single specific book concerning the great war/ww1. I was wondering if you all could recommend to me a book that is considered a must (the bible?) and that covers the whole front from 1914-1918. I know that this means i'll miss lots of information about single battlefields/fronts but i think that my first priority now is to first get a good view of the bigger picture, after that i can focus on single fronts/events. I appreciate the help of all of yall very much.

Pieter

In my opinion there is no such book: if it existed it would weigh a ton. You would end up knowing a very little about a great deal. Better to know a great deal about a very little perhaps.

Such a book exists, indeed there are several. A very easy and fascinating read is Dr Dunn's 'The War the Infantry Knew', about 2 RWF's war from mobilization to demob. They served throughout the war on the Western Front. I always point beginners at this, and have never had a complaint.

Good luck, you are starting on a fascinating and humbling journey.

I agree with LB.. there really is no such book... though some of the recommendations and reasons I would offer up are below...

Before Endeavors Fade (Rose Coombs)... This may be considered the Western Front tourist bible. I takes the reason through a highly detailed trip across the front. However if you have no (or limited) knowledge of the events of the war the book doesn't offer much to a broader understanding. In all fairness though that was not her goal in writing the book either.

First World War (John Keegan) A well recognized historian, his WWI covers the front as well as other theatres (Gallipoli, etc). I found it to be a good read with interpretation and analysis.

The First World War (Robin Prior and Trevor Wilson) This is really a small text book. I use it with my book group because it gives quick explanations of what happened where, who was who, and it has easy to read maps. This is strictly the facts with no analysis.

No sure of the current price, but all of these would at aleast be under $30.

Andy

Try: 'Battles of the Twentieth Century'

It's a 'coffee table sized' book - which could 'whiz' you through the major battles/campaigns of GW but it's only a teaser (big on pictures and illustrations with the printed equivalent of 'soundbites' on the major actions in each battle. You'll soon want to read more in depth stuff if you get the bug.

But STOP NOW .. there is every chance you could become addicted and eye-strained if your interest develops further!! I jest of course, welcome to the club.

Somebody else reckoned Middlebrook's 'First day on the Somme' is a very readable intro for people with an interest in the GW. I know it targets just one day of a massive campaign/battle but I'd always recommend it.

Des

Hi Pieter

Battleground Europe are good and cover all the major battlefields. Like the others have seid there is not one book that covers the whole front from 1914-1918.

Annette

Gerald Gliddon's 'Battle of the Somme: A Topographical History' is an excellent companion guide to that sector. It was first published under the title 'When the Barrage Lifts'.

Kate I have that under old title, I don't think it's a good one for a beginner. It has all you need to know on the Somme but since it's organized by place name & what happened there, i.e. Mametz, it's in no order other than alphabetical and not meant to be read striaght through. I like & use it though.

Before endeavours fade is a real must and an increasing rarity....

To look at specific areas like Ypres and the Somme reveals a whole plethora of books.

In the end it depends on what you need and want to read...

John

I understand what’s wanted is an overview of the whole war. I have found two books very useful.

For the record of events:

John Keegan, The First World War

For the experience of the soldier:

Denis Winter, Death's Men: Soldiers of the Great War

Guest pieter2004

Thanks for helping me (again), i think that i'll go with the book by John Keegan. Reading from your replies i think that is probably exactly what i was looking for.

Looks like i'm a bit late on this one.i don't have John Keegans book myself,but the brother in law has,he agree's with the choice though a good starting point.

another book to consider is the one i bought myself to start me off is "First World War" by h.p.Willmott.i've enjoyed it.

Steven :D

• 1 month later...
Guest McDermott

I recommend this three books, if you interested in understanding the battles of the Great War.

The Price of Glory: Verdun 1916 by Alistair Horne

The First Day on the Somme: 1 July 1916 by Martin Middlebrook

Somme by Lyn MacDonald

Thomas

• 3 months later...
Guest woodyudet

Trevor Wilson 'the myriad faces of war' is the best single-volume history of WW1 in my opinion.

Bourne's "Britain and the great War" is a useful starting place.

Personally i'd avoid Taylor and Keegan ... personally I think they are 'old hat' and very 'Cold War'