Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

14th RWF in Kirkcaldy?

Trebrys

Dear all!

I've come across a photo that dates from around late 1915 to possibly as far as mid 1916 of some soldiers of the 14th RWF in a tent. The photograph in the corner carries the name of a place which I think could be Kirkcaldy..........does this make sense?

The man in question was with the 14th RWF when he was killed and had joined via the university at Aberystwyth as an officer. Would anyone be able to confirm that this place was Kirkcaldy or not? And if so, what were they doing there?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Trebrys.

According to James' Infantry Regiments, the 14th RWF were raised at Llandudno on 2.11.14, went to Winchester in August 1915, and to France in December. No mention of Kirkcaldy.

Hi Trebrys

What clues as to date? Could 'Kirkaldy' be soldiers slang for another place? You know, as with battlefield names such as 'Mucky Farm' etc.

Geraint

Hi there,

Unfortunately no.......despite the many offers of help in the past to show me how! My computer is missing a scanner at the moment or I'd have a bash!

Can you not post a copy of the photo?

S'mai, Geraint,

The photo says "Scott & Co, Thistle St., Kirkcaldy" so it may well not be a use of slang! The photo is of a group of young men, possibly on training manoeuvres, all sticking their heads through the tent's flap in a jocular way.

Cofion,

Trebrys.

And yet again........the man killed, Tom Rees, was with the RFC when he died! The first "official" victim of the Red Baron!

Hi Iwan

To help you track his movements. Lt T Rees is on the Roll of Officers of the 14th who embarked Dec1st 1915. He is shown as 'killed in aerial action' and is from Fenny Bridge, Carmarthenshire

Hywyn

Hi Hywyn,

Llawer o ddiolch! Any information at all about his movements before his death would be of great interest so I was pleased to learn this. The info about training whilst transferring to the RFC is an interesting response too - many thanks!

Trebrys.

Would there be any records of his transfer to the RFC I wonder?