The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th northants

jeffb

While researching my family history my cousin gave me this photo of a family member name of Coy, can any one help with gleaning any info from it.

post-32392-1205679332.jpg

:D I think unless in your family there is the name Coy....it is a pic of the A Company of that Battalion. Coy is the abbreviation & they ran as A B & C & so on. Having wrote that I knew a Cyril Coy an ex Regt PTI in the 2 Royal Anglian Regt... the amalgamated Regt of the NN (that is Northamptonshire if you get the drift?)

QUOTE (Neil B @ Mar 16 2008, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:D I think unless in your family there is the name Coy....it is a pic of the A Company of that Battalion. Coy is the abbreviation & they ran as A B & C & so on. Having wrote that I knew a Cyril Coy an ex Regt PTI in the 2 Royal Anglian Regt... the amalgamated Regt of the NN (that is Northamptonshire if you get the drift?)

Thank's for your replay, yes there is a family name of Coy and they are from the northamptonshire area

The picture, by context of the description is part of "A" Company of the 4th Battalion of the Northamptonshire Regiment. Each company would have about 250 men in it. The 37 men here would probably be part of 1 platoon or a gathering of men soon after they had arrived "under canvas" at whatever location that is!

The battalion after assembling at Northampton in August (many of the already serving men of the original 1914 battalion would have come in from the various towns to meet at Northampton), the battalion moved to romford, and soon after to Bury St Edmunds. By November 1914 the battalion moved on to Thetford, and at Easter 1915 went to Norwich to be allocated to coastal defence duties. In May 1915 they went to St Albans to be fitted out for overseas duty.

The battalion embarked to Gallipoli from Southampton on board the Royal George (a converted passenger liner) on 29th July 1915.

It is possible that the picture is one of ther Reserve units of the 4th Battalion, but I do recognise the tall chap fifth in from the left at the back as a 1/4th battalion man (though I can't put my finger on his name, yet!)

Can you tell us who your relatives were and in which town they lived, please?

Steve.

The picture, by context of the description is part of "A" Company of the 4th Battalion of the Northamptonshire Regiment. Each company would have about 250 men in it. The 37 men here would probably be part of 1 platoon or a gathering of men soon after they had arrived "under canvas" at whatever location that is!

The battalion after assembling at Northampton in August (many of the already serving men of the original 1914 battalion would have come in from the various towns to meet at Northampton), the battalion moved to romford, and soon after to Bury St Edmunds. By November 1914 the battalion moved on to Thetford, and at Easter 1915 went to Norwich to be allocated to coastal defence duties. In May 1915 they went to St Albans to be fitted out for overseas duty.

The battalion embarked to Gallipoli from Southampton on board the Royal George (a converted passenger liner) on 29th July 1915.

It is possible that the picture is one of ther Reserve units of the 4th Battalion, but I do recognise the tall chap fifth in from the left at the back as a 1/4th battalion man (though I can't put my finger on his name, yet!)

Can you tell us who your relatives were and in which town they lived, please?

Steve.

Hi Steve,

thanks for your input, with regards to the family my cousin father ( COY ) was married to my father's sister and he came from a village called Weedon Lois, near towcester/ silverstone area, my cousin has know info on the photo but he belives that it is something to do with his family?? sorry that I cannot be more helpful.

I've had a look at the absent voters list of 1918 for Weedon Lois and it doesn't show anyone of the name Coy. That only means that he may not have still been serving in 1918, was not in the village, or under 21 years of age.

Steve.

The 1901 Census shows 1 family of the name Coy living in Weedon Lois:

"Millthorpe", Weedon Lois.

Henry Coy, age 62, Head of family, widower, gardener, born at Weston by Weedon.

Kate, age 31, daughter, born at Weedon Lois

John, age 18, son, argicultural labourer, born at Weedon Lois.

Nellie Coy, age 6, granddaughter, born at Birmingham.

Elizabeth Ayres, age 38, daughter, born at Weston by Weedon.

In 1891:

At Weedon Lois.

Henry Coy, age 51, Head of family, gardener, birthplace not stated.

Kate, age 21, daughter, born at Millthorpe Weedon Lois

Albert, age 14, son, farm labourer, born at Millthorpe Weedon Lois

Thomas, age 10, son, farm labourer, born at Millthorpe Weedon Lois

John, age 8, son, scholar, born at Millthorpe Weedon Lois.

Is this the family?

If so, then Thomas Coy's service records are on Ancestry - he was in the Army Service Corps for two years from 1913 to 1915 with 52nd Motor Transport Company ASC serving in France from 12-8-1914 to 30-11-1915. He lived in Aston Birmingham. The Coy family seems to have several links to Birmingham.

Steve.

Is it just me or does this piccie have more of a post war, 1920's / 30's look about it ? The men are wearing collar dogs as well which adds to this feeling.

I'm ready of course to be corrected !

I would probably expect more medal ribbons if it was early twenties. Only one man seems to have any. That said there are no Imperial Service Badges either!

Steve.

Looking closer, then men also have plain 'Northamptonshire' shoulder titles rather than T/4/Northampton, which I think also puts them post war.

Again - I'm ready to be corrected !

Collar dogs were more prevalent post war, also....

The uncapped man of the right also has a distinctly "peace-time" haircut....

Steve.