Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

14 star query

Guest KevinEndon

Guest KevinEndon

Looking at the MIC is it correct that the 14 star is stamped up 386884 and the war and victory stamped up with 6884.

I was under the impression that the 6 figure number was introduced in 1916 making this group of medals seem back to front.

Can you help.

Also was the 1st siege company part of the Royal Monmouth Royal Engineers.

Kevin

post-11197-1205668268.jpg

The 1914 Star "Should" be impressed 6684[hence the X & dots],The Later number suggests a TF post 1916 number ,just strangely aligned with the "14" of "14 star" in the Medal Issue box of the Card

The two pieces of information - his numbers and medal entitlement are separate -

He was number 6884 and then 386884.

His medal roll ref s-

1914 star - RE/10 734

Other two - RE/101 B 22054329.

often the medal entitlement would be stamped on the left under his name.

Not sure about the Monmouths and and siege company. Possibly best to start another thread concerning just that. Possibly Terry Reeve will know.

steve m

Guest KevinEndon

Sorry Roger, I have the medals and meant to say that what I put is what is on the medals

14 star having the 6 figure number and the war and victory having the 4 figure number. All back to front I thought.

Also was the 1st siege company part of the Royal Monmouth Royal Engineers.

Kevin

I think No. 1 Siege Company was part of The Royal Anglesey Royal Engineers, not Monmouth.

The Royal Anglesey & Royal Monmouth Royal Engineers were Special Reserve units and not Territorial units so I'm guessing his second number is not a Territorial renumbering but more likely a 'regular' one. Would also think that all three medals should be impressed with 6884.

Perhaps retitling the thread with "Royal Engineers" in the title will attract Terry's attention.

Steve

Could it be that the medal stampers misread the card, thinking that the 14 was related to the 6 digit number when it wasn't?

This is an interesting one. The medals should have the shorter number stamped on them . It looks like the cross and dot annotation was added after the main portion of the card was filled out.

Six figure numbers, for the RE at least, were introduced in 1915. The Royal Mons. RE and the Royal Anglesey, , certainly had a number change at some stage, but a bit later on. These men simply had "38" added to the front of their original numbers and at a guess , this took place in 1917. The original men serving with the railway companies of the Royal Mons. and the Royal Anglesey, had a third number given to them in late 1917 or early 1918 - one with a WR prefix - which brought them into line with all other railway units.

According to Army Order 361 of 1919, members of 1st Siege Company, Royal Anglesey RE were entitled to the clasp to the 1914 Star. I don't see this annotated on the card, but there may be a second card of course.

TR

Guest KevinEndon

Thanks one and all for the detailed replies . The star has the rosette on it but no bar. I have searched for another mic but nothing that I can find.

I doubt we will ever solve the mystery as to why the 14 star has the 1915 number and the war and victory has the 1914 number.

Kevin

Guest londonlynn
Thanks one and all for the detailed replies . The star has the rosette on it but no bar. I have searched for another mic but nothing that I can find.

I doubt we will ever solve the mystery as to why the 14 star has the 1915 number and the war and victory has the 1914 number.

Kevin

No mystery the 14 star can,t be the original issue, the M.I.C shows the Spr concerned was numbered and told off with 4 digit service number.