Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

nurse info - where to start please

jackybower

Hi

I have come across the name "Lucy Castledine" upon the Stocksbridge War Memorial in South Yorkshire. She served in WW1 as a nurse. There is no other information upon the memorial about her at all. Castledine is a name connected to my family, from that area, so I should like to find out more about Lucy if at all possible. However, I have been unable to trace her either on CWGC or on the medal rolls index.

I haven't tried to research any women from WW1 before, so am not sure if I'm looking in completely the wrong places. Can anybody out there point me in the right direction please? Where might I find further info about her?

Many thanks

Jacky

hello

cant see a medal index card or cwgc either- do you know the unit she was with ?

Hi

No sorry. It came as a surprise to me to find the name there at all. It was the first I'd heard of it. All I know is what it says on the memorial.

"To the honour and everlasting memory

of the soldiers, sailors and nurse of

this district who gave their lives

for their King and Country in the

Great War 1914 - 1918 "

and then her name listed with the others.

Jacky

Hi Jacky

I've found this on the BMD

Births Sep 1893

Castledine Lucy Hannah Wortley 9c 344

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deaths Dec 1918

Castledine Lucy H 25 Sheffield 9c 1326

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hope this helps

Mel

Births Q3 1893 in Wortley RD (includes Stocksbridge) - CASTLEDINE Lucy Hannah (9c 344)

Deaths Q4 1918 in Sheffield - CASTLEDINE Lucy H, age 25 (9c 1326)

1901 census (indexed as CASTLEDNIE!)

Low Lane, Bracken Moor, Stocksbridge Bolsterstone

CASTLEDINE John Henry, head, 32, Cold Sled Roller, b Stocksbridge

CASTLEDINE Hannah, Wife, 31, b Cupalow(?), Derbys (nee CHEETHAM)

CASTLEDINE Lucy, Dau, 7

CASTLEDINE Fred, Son, 6 http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=1628300

CASTLEDINE Percy, Son, 5

CASTLEDINE Douglas, Son, 2

All children born Stocksbridge

I'd guess she was a civilian nurse (hence no CWGC commemoration) and did not serve abroad (hence no MIC). Perhaps a Spanish Flu victim. There was another thread recently about a nurse who died of flu while nursing sick soldiers in the UK, but I can't find it now.

Adrian

Hi Jacky,

Her death might have been reported in the local paper which should be at these places below.

I agree with Adrian and there were quite a few hospitals in the area open then and eve used as Isolation hospitals. That list is in National Archives.

You could get her death Certificate from GRO for £7.50 it will give you the details you want.

NEWSPAPER DETAILS

The table below lists further details of your selected newspaper.

NEWSPAPER DETAILS

Title: Penistone, Stockbridge, Hoyland and Ecclesfield and Chapeltown Express

Frequency: Weekly

Title Changes: Penistone, Stocksbridge, Hoyland and Ecclesfield and Chapeltown Express

Penistone, Stocksbridge, Hoyland and Chapeltown Express etc.

Penistone, Stocksbridge, and Hoyland Express

Holding Location(s) Holding Date(s)

British Library 1898 - 1912

Sheffield Central Library 1877-1940

Barnsley Library 1898 - 1917

Good hunting

Mel

Jacky

Try contacting Jim Strawbridge on this forum. He's doing some work about women in the war.

Jacky, The name of Lucy Castledine is unknown to me. Her name is not one as having a grave cared for by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission and her name is not recorded on the York Minster panels. I suspect that she was a civilian nurse who died possibly caring for injured servicemen. I have checked out the British Journal of Nursing but cannot see her name recorded.

Hi Jacky,

Lucy Castledine died of Flu, she was a nurse at the Fir Vale Hospital in Sheffield, i think it was known as the 3rd Northern Hospital during the war. ( now the Northern General ). As well as the Stocksbridge memorial, her name also appears on the Roll of Honour for Stocksbridge West End Primitive Methodist Church, now located at Stocksbridge Methodist Church.

Re your PM, Lucy's brother also appears on the above memorial.

Dyson Scofield's name appears on the Bolsterstone War Memorial, Stocksbridge War Memorial and the St John's Church Roll of Honour at Deepcar.

The Poppy People of Bolsterstone.

SDGW for Fred Castledine - 476315 Sapper Royal Engineers.

Enlisted Sheffield.

Resided Stockbridge, Hants. ( possible typo on SDGW )

Died 12/4/18

KIA France & Flanders.

no other info in his entry.

SDGW for Dyson Schofield - 2351 Pte York & Lancs 4th (Hallamshire( (TF) Battalion.

Enlisted Sheffield.

Died 15/10/15. ( CWGC has the 16th. War diary mentions nothing occurs on the 15th but a heavy bombardment on the 16th. )

KIA France & Flanders.

no other info in his entry.

hope this is of some help to you Jacky

regards

Dean.