Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brief Visit to Verdun

Gunner Bailey

This year as a part of our summer holiday I should be able to spend a couple of days in Verdun. Can anyone with experience of this battlefield say what are the 'must visits' in the area? I'd like to actually walk a bit of the front line if possible as well as visiting the forts.

Many thanks in advance.

Gunner Bailey

i'll give you one... now this is on the way down to verdun, and if your driving that way, dont miss it. Its called "The Butte de Vauquois".

Its unbeleivable. if you want to see a preserved battlefield this is a cracker.

As well as that on the 1st sunday of the month there are tours in the tunnels, our date didnt coincide with that unfortuneately.

Goggle it and have a look you wont be dissappointed.

Yes you are right the forts are definately worth a tour and you will have to go to the ossary at douaumont, where there is a vast cemetary and the bones of 130,000 men are viewed through windows.

buy holts battlefield guide western front south.. its worth the £13 from amazon

no doubt you'll be bombarded with places to go.. it would take you a week to have a decent look,,, thats what we are going to do next time as we only had 2 days and it just wasnt enough

Hello,

I know this question has been asked many times here on the forum. If I may suggest, I'd do a search here. Verdun is a great battlefield with a lot to see.

Paul

Hello,

I know this question has been asked many times here on the forum. If I may suggest, I'd do a search here. Verdun is a great battlefield with a lot to see.

Paul

Thanks guys. I was expecting more of a response than this. Does nobody go there?

I'll certainly search out the 'butte'. I've got 'The Price of Glory' by Horne to read as well.

Thanks (so far)

Gunner Bailey

'Must sees' - Oussuary, Fort Douaumont, Mort-Homme, destroyed villages (i.e. Fleury and Douaumont) and if you have time Camp Marguerre (further north, but an amazing site of well-preserved blockhouses). But there is so much to see that it's hard to suggest just a few sites - there is quite a lot fairly close together in the centre of the forests if you do not have much time.

Another book I would highly reccomend in Christina Holstien's 'Fort Douaumont' - it has suggested itineraries for trips round the battlefields

Alan

Take a look at Forts Marre and Regret behind Verdun which tool part in the battle w/o being destroyed like Vaux & Douamont, quite interesting. You are not supposed to enter and there are some holes in the floor but it can be done. The mens bunks and other things are still there.

'Must sees' - Oussuary, Fort Douaumont, Mort-Homme, destroyed villages (i.e. Fleury and Douaumont) and if you have time Camp Marguerre (further north, but an amazing site of well-preserved blockhouses). But there is so much to see that it's hard to suggest just a few sites - there is quite a lot fairly close together in the centre of the forests if you do not have much time.

Another book I would highly reccomend in Christina Holstien's 'Fort Douaumont' - it has suggested itineraries for trips round the battlefields

Alan

Thanks Alan that's really useful information. Much appreciated.

GB

Take a look at Forts Marre and Regret behind Verdun which tool part in the battle w/o being destroyed like Vaux & Douamont, quite interesting. You are not supposed to enter and there are some holes in the floor but it can be done. The mens bunks and other things are still there.

Thanks Paul, I'll look these up. I'm going to check out the French OS maps as well.

GB

Mark,

There are several other threads on accomodation in or near Verdun, see: -

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...c=89070&hl=

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...showtopic=30021

Hope this helps!

Alan

Thanks guys. I was expecting more of a response than this. Does nobody go there?

I'll certainly search out the 'butte'. I've got 'The Price of Glory' by Horne to read as well.

Thanks (so far)

Gunner Bailey

I think the problem as always is what can you really do in the time available. I read 'The Price of Glory' and I found some of the maps in there helpful to get a better understanding. It was of course a massive battle and with the Meuse running through the middle of the battlefield it does cover a significant area and so you can spend weeks there and still not see it all.

Like so many sites I want to go back again and again.

Also hoping to visit Verdun again this year, can anyone advise if the Son et Lumerire is on this summer, went to it a couple of years back, and it was stunning.

Have just returned home from a trip to Germany, during which I visited Verdun. I only managed to get about 4 hours there (that I am sure counts as brief) and saw the Memorial/Museum, Ossuary, the exterior of Fort Douaumont and Bayonet Trench.

I will certainly be making a return visit in the future.

Have just returned home from a trip to Germany, during which I visited Verdun. I only managed to get about 4 hours there (that I am sure counts as brief) and saw the Memorial/Museum, Ossuary, the exterior of Fort Douaumont and Bayonet Trench.

I will certainly be making a return visit in the future.

Thanks Kerry. It's a huge battlefield extending all over the place. But I think those two you have named will be on my list.

GB

Hello, GB -

Most of the places mentioned so far are popular "tourist" places, which are fine. However, if you have time and want to experience the Verdun battlefield in a profound way, go to Le Mort Homme, park your car in the parking area and walk in the woods on the hill - away from the roads and fields. [Take a compass and one of the detailled maps with you.] I doubt that you'll forget the experience.

As you can tell, I prefer the out-of-the way places that are relatively undisturbed by development and logging.

Regards, Torrey

Hello, GB -

Most of the places mentioned so far are popular "tourist" places, which are fine. However, if you have time and want to experience the Verdun battlefield in a profound way, go to Le Mort Homme, park your car in the parking area and walk in the woods on the hill - away from the roads and fields. [Take a compass and one of the detailled maps with you.] I doubt that you'll forget the experience.

As you can tell, I prefer the out-of-the way places that are relatively undisturbed by development and logging.

Regards, Torrey

Thanks Torrey - That looks like just the advice I'm looking for. Many thanks. :D

GB

The son et lumière is certainly on. Each Friday and Saturday in July and August, I think. Website is connaissancedelameuse. Book in advance and pay by credit card.

Hotels? Prunelia is the best of a not very good bunch. Also Orchidée.

Places to go. Enough to keep you going for the rest of your life.

If you go to the Memorial at Fleury they have a map with signposted walks (ten of them) around the battlefield.

Whatever you do, make sure you wear boots and old clothes. It is very muddy and dirty at all times.

Don't go off the paths or try to force you way through the undergrowth. The trees, etc. were planted because:

a. There still bodies buried everywhere,

b. There is still an unknown large amount of UXB lying around.

Do not go into anything that is not marked as open for tourists, and DANGER signs mean what they say. One nicely open fort has a 300 foot drop inside the entrance (and people explore the drop every year)

• 1 month later...
My family and I are also going to visit Verdun over the summer. Any decent hotels in the area?

Any help welcome!

Mark

i sent you personal mail about this question

You should put Fort Froideterre on your list and Vaux. There is a map of the whole battlefield in the Blue Series - 1:25000 No3112ET Verdun - which you can order online highlighting all the key sites; you will be surprised at how much you can see if you plan well. Guides etc are on sale at the Museum in Fleury but mostly in French. Agree youshould stop off at Vauquois on the way; well worth the climb. Chris

in relation to visits some areas are closed at certain times because they form part of a military training area

including live firing exercises.so its not jsut 90 year old ordnance you need to look out for.

The closure relates to some of the road between Louvemont and Ornes in the Northern Area

quotes Mondays and Tuesdays but this is subject to change

HAVE A GOOD TRIP

gaz 1961

I live near douaumont and the american cemetery of romagne , we can put up people to sleep in our house , no thrills just village house with bed and brekkie for decent price ...

I live near douaumont and the american cemetery of romagne , we can put up people to sleep in our house , no thrills just village house with bed and brekkie for decent price ...

A kind offer and many thanks for it ,but we are already booked in for our visit.

GB

If any of the Pals visit the Ossuaire at Douaumont and has sharp eyes, I'd appreciate a photo of the plaque to Soldat Jean Marie Danielo, 348e R.I. disappeared June 8, 1916 (I don't know for sure that there is one, as apparently they were purchased by the families)

Otherwise some general shots would be appreciated.

Oh well, there probably isn't one anyway.

I seem to recall that Life magazine covered Verdun (and the ossuaire) quite extensively in their 50th anniversary coverage back in 1964. June 5, 1964 issue

• 2 weeks later...
Unfortunately, photography is not allowed inside the ossuary.

TR

didnt have any probs taking pics inside the ossuary

24916865.jpg

24916854.jpg