Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/5 DLI

Intrados

Does anyone have photos of the 2/5 DLI , relating to ropner camp stockton or anything else up to salonika ? Also any written material of this unit .Trev

Hello Trev, just had a quick look through my DLI archive and could only come up with a Colonel Spence 5th DLI 1916 flyer.

post-15884-1205651469.jpg

Regards. Jarvis.

Great poster Jarvis ! many thanks . If you get chance ( no rush) have you any pics with a triangular patch on shoulder and helmet ( hot climate uniform ) cheers Trev (from stockton originally know B/castle well )

• 8 years later...

I'm taking the opportunity to resurrect this thread as I too am researching the 2nd/5th Durham Light Infantry,  focusing on 5142/201576 Private (Acting Lance-Corporal) Herbert Joseph Raven who served with 2/5 DLI throughout the Salonika campaign.

I found Jarvis' poster most interesting and would be very grateful if anyone had any other material to share. I have had a look online and on the forum and haven't turned up a great deal. I'd be particularly interested in any snippets from their war diary, especially around 1 February 1917, when he was attached to No.143 Army Troops Company, Royal Engineers, as I'm curious as to whether he was part of a larger movement of troops or a singleton, and September 1918.

Regards,

Anthony 

Anthony,

The 2/5th DLI are mentioned twice in the official history; in Macedonia Vol I when 228th Bde moved into the line in the Krusha Balkan Hills in March 1917 and in Vol II after Bulgaria surrendered when they were sent to occupy the Bulgarian Black Sea ports of Varna and Burgas in October 1918. The 228th Brigade was made up of Garrison Battalions, according to Wakefield and Moody's book 'Under the Devils Eye'; 'Such troops were not generally expected to serve in the front line due to the men's age or below par medical rating. Instead their primary duty was to relieve fighting troops  of duties in the rear areas.'  This might explain why your man was attached to an RE company. The 228th was only moved into the line because of a shortage of man power, the Krusha sector being the quietest part of the Balkna front line, this allowed 83rd Brigade to move to the Doiran sector in preperation for the spring offensive and the battle of Doiran. The only way you will find out any more is to get a copy of the battalion war diary and that will necessitate a trip to Kew as I doubt if it has been digitised.