The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

mr s? young? luton bedfordshire

joolee

hope this works as ive not mastered uplaoding a picture before.

just wondered if this may be of interest or if anyone knows anything or can link the other soldier on the picture - my grandad private james martin is on the left sitting down and served in the 2/6 batallion sherwood forresters.

the back of the postcard reads Jimmy (my grandad) had this taken when he went to Buxton I have forgot Jimmys battallion (the words jimmys batallion was crossed out not sure why this would be).

it is addressed to Pte J Martin

c/o Mr S? Yung

74 Russel Rise

Luton

Bedfordshire

post-31813-1205577830.jpg

Jules

Does it have a postmark with date?

The 2/6th Battn moved to Luton on Feb 3rd 1915 and went into billets. Presumably these were private houses? I have postcards from a few Notts and Derby that have private addresses in Luton area from that date.

The Battn then moved to Watford on August 9th 1915, so that give you a window of several months when he was in billets in Luton

cheers

Mike

According to the absent voters list from 1918, the only absent voter for 74 Russell Rise was Pte 73865 Sidney Frederick Young of the Labour Corps, previously served with The Queens Regiment. That ties in with the addressee on the postcard.

Best

David

no post mark or stamp - not sure if it went in an envelope but address was wrote on the postcard itself?