Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA 154 Brigade

Glenn Warnes

I am trying to find the position/location of “D” Bty. 154th Bde. RFA around the 19 March 1916, 10 March 1916 onwards.

The Brigade was part of the 36th Division who were around Thiepval Wood.

Dunno about exact location for the 'gun line' but the CRA's observation point was known as 'Brock's Benefit' (as I understand it) and was on high ground near Hamel. There's a good panorama of the view in Barton's Battlefield books.

Thanks for the reply

I would assume the OP would be close to the gun line at that time (communication with the guns?).

The info came from where??

Which of Mr Barton’s books is the panorama in, I have battlefields of the First World War (problem is its 3000km away).

Anybody have a copy of the photo in the interim?

Glenn

On the first point - not well versed on arty but I would assume so ...

Barton's Battlefields Book and in his Somme Panorama book (1915 views and modern day views for comparison).

Info comes from my reading of Div history and other research.

Wil try and get a few more arty refs for you.

Cheers, thanks for that.

Will order a copy of The Somme, should be here in a month.

Quick edit: In the first week of March the Division extended its front, the 109th Brigade taking over the sector south of the Ancre, known by the name of Thiepval Wood. At the same time the 36th Divisional Artillery, back from its final training at Cayeux, took over the defence of the long line.

By the last day of the month the latter had been shortened to the two-battalion front astride the Ancre, the 31st Division having come into line on the left. The two sub-sectors were known as Thiepval Wood and Hamel respectively.

The Hamel sub-sector was comfortable and quiet, troubled by nothing worse than the aggressions of a new long-range medium trench mortar, which often smashed in its communication trenches, but seldom caused many casualties.

http://www.freewebs.com/denbob/ulsterdivfrance.htm

see here for more - several refs to RFA and specifically to Brock's Benefit (which was also a slang for a firework display I understand!)

I was just looking at the same page

Where would the records or war diary for the 4th Casualty Clearing Station (Beauval,March 1916) be located or would they still exist.

May well show date of admission etc.

Glenn

Desmond7

Regarding the "Long Line" that refers too??? and location???

Cheers,

Glenn

Dunno - but struck me today - reading A Farrar Hockley book - says div. arty was firing from Mesnil Ridge 1st July 16.

Thanks for that

Found this info from John George Brew - 1916, who was commanding the 9th Irish Fusiliers' 'D' Company.

It wasn't until March that the weather started to improve again, but it was accompanied by new, more intensive artillery bombardments by the Germans. A particularly heavy barrage in the early hours of 10 March was followed by an attack and breakthrough by German soldiers in the 10th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers trenches around Thiepval Wood, resulting in 30 dead and a number of prisoners being taken.[/i][/i]

Got my copy of "The Somme" and also ordered a copy of the "History of the 36th (Ulster) Division" so will see what that turns up.

Will definitely be there for the 11 November 2008 (Beauval)

Rob, your in box is full.

Glenn