Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA Great War Service

Allan

My grandfather served in the RFA as a Driver. His regimental number was 13221. Can any advise me as to where I can find details of which battalion/battery he served in and where he saw action? His nam was Richard Allan Thomas. I have his medal index card details.

Thanks in anticipation.

Allan

Hi Allan , if possible could you post his card on here ?

regards Dave

Dave

I have tried to attach the scan but keep getting message that the file exceeds available space. Could you possibly give me your e-mail adddres?

All the best

Allan

Dave

I have tried to attach the scan but keep getting message that the file exceeds available space. Could you possibly give me your e-mail adddres?

All the best

Allan

Dave

After lots of fiddling I managed to get the file below 100K. Please see attached.

Regards

Allan

post-31506-1205584212.jpg

Hi Allan,

Thomas landed in France on 28th August 1915. Looking at the embarkation dates of the divisions, I suspect he could have been part of 22nd Division Artillery (XCVIII, XCIX, C and CI Brigades) which would have landed prior to the infantry of the division. The artillery experts may be able to tell you which brigades landed on this date, but the only way to be sure of his brigade would be to check the Medal Rolls which are held at the NA and only veiwable in person, these may also give his battery number. The references that follow the medal entitlement on Thomas' MIC give the details to the ledger at the NA.

cheers, Jon

Hi Allan,

Thomas landed in France on 28th August 1915. Looking at the embarkation dates of the divisions, I suspect he could have been part of 22nd Division Artillery (XCVIII, XCIX, C and CI Brigades) which would have landed prior to the infantry of the division. The artillery experts may be able to tell you which brigades landed on this date, but the only way to be sure of his brigade would be to check the Medal Rolls which are held at the NA and only veiwable in person, these may also give his battery number. The references that follow the medal entitlement on Thomas' MIC give the details to the ledger at the NA.

cheers, Jon

Jon - Many thanks

Allan