The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tobacco in the Trenches

ericwebb

Can anyone supply or guide me towards information on cigarettes in the trenches? Price per pack of 20? Were they taxed then? If so, were they tax-free to the forces?

Many thanks,

Eric

As part of the normal scale of rations, smokers were entitled to 2 ozs. tobacco or cigarettes per week.

Chris Henschke

Canteens in France were selling 20 Capstan Medium Strength for 10d - for all born since 1971 - thats 5 pee!

Geraint (rapidly disappearing to the back door for a gasper) :rolleyes:

It sounds ridiculously cheap but is in fact almost a day's wages. 5p was 12 old pennys. ( a shilling) so 10 pennys was just over 4 new pence. ORs were paid a shilling a day. Woodbine would have been cheaper.

Thanks folks,

In fact 10d is closer to 4p. Interestingly - part of my motive in asking - the price of a pint of beer in 1914 was 4d.

A useful web site 'Measuring Worth' http://www.measuringworth.com/calculators/ukcompare/ gives the 2006 value of 10d in 1914 as £2.75, using RPI, but £14.45 using average earnings.

I suppose that puts yesterday's tax rises in context, but it'll be a long time before I think of the Chancellor as 'Darling'!

Eric

They were free, as they were in WW2 ( When I moaned at my Dad about smoking he would say " They couldnt give us enough", and I was given free fags in Borneo 1965

The Director General of Voluntary Organisations, which coodinated all charitable aid to the Armed Forces, distributed just under 233 million cigarettes, besides pipe tobacco, during the war. Thus quite a lot was supplied free of charge.

Charles M

Am I right in thinking Woodbine were known as 'coffin nails'? If so, when did this nickname appear?

Here's another; price-wise:

Local paper ad 1917

Packet of 5 'Robin' cigarettes for 2d including another two free fags cardboarded to the outside with the strapline "Two for a friend". Fag packet shows picture of Robin Redbreast standing on handle of a spade in a trench!

Slightly different angle - the Players packets showed the picture of a Jack Tar outlined against a battleship - a pre war ship to my novice eye. Was it a Dreadnought?

Geraint (relaxed and cool having finished a good cigar) :rolleyes:

"'geraint' date='Mar 16 2008, 07:14 PM' post='882599'] Slightly different angle - the Players packets showed the picture of a Jack Tar outlined against a battleship - a pre war ship to my novice eye. Was it a Dreadnought?"

It could well be a Dreadnought. The iconic sailor figure "Hero", according to "Smoking in British Popular Culture 1800-2000" by Matthew Hilton, was first used by Players in 1883 with the lifebuoy surround added in 1888. "Hero" went through several incarnations, young & old, bearded and clean shaven until standardised in 1927 using a design which had first been used in 1905.

Nigel

Thanks for that! Never knew the Tar was such an iconic representation.

Back to war time ciggies, a hotel landlord from this town, again according to a local newspaper report, was so grateful to his son's mates, who rescued him from no-man's-land, sent 3,200 smokes to the Company every month for the duration of the war! (mid 1917 i believe). Would that number be the amount held in a tea chest or other container? Hate to think how much it cost him; but his son did survive - thanks to those fag happy RWF mates!

Geraint (thinking whether to have another H Winterman or not) ^_^

16 cartons of 200. About the size of a biscuit tin. It may have been a weight thing. 7lbs or something. I have no idea how heavy a packet of 20 cigarettes was.

Tom

Presume you refer to the larger loose biscuit tin, such as those found in Maypole and George Mason grocers where biscuits were shovelled from into a paper bag; and not today's Christmasy selection tins! Shall be in the Archives Monday, perusing the cigarette ads!.

Geraint

(having finished said H Winterman and spraying room with sickly perfume smell to avoid b*****ing by Mrs G in the morning.) :(