Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Warden' Uniform Help Needed

ph0ebus

Hi all,

I have another family photo that has everyone I have asked stumped thus far. All I know is her name is Mally Stern, and she was one of my grandfather's cousins. She was born in Germany (date unknown) but I believe the picture was taken in England but I am not certain, and I do not know what year the photo was taken. Any help deciphering the uniform in the photo would be a great help. It says 'Warden" on her left sleeve. If it is not WWI related I apologize in advance.

post-32240-1205417809.jpg

Thanks,

-Daniel

WW2 Air Raid Warden I would say and the cap badge was a crowned ARP - the initials standing for Air Raid Precautions.

Aha! So I would assume then the bag she carries contains a gas mask? I realize now this is off point for this forum, so if people could guide me as to where I might find records of her service, that would be great; if posting it here is problematic, you can message me offlist.

Incidentally, I have since learned she was not my grandfather's cousin, but was in fact my grandfather's sister! Mally Stern ended up marrying Isaac Levy, becoming the stepmother of Samson Raphael Levy; he is the great-grandson of the great 19th Century Rabbi Samson Raphael Hirsch. Sampson Raphael Levy is alive and well somewhere in Jerusalem, and as he is apparently my second cousin via marriage, I am trying to figure out how to reach him. Should he or someone in his family happen across this posting, please feel free to contact me by PM.

Thanks,

-Daniel

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

Just a quick note to mention I have made contact with the Levy family and we have begun exchanging information. Perserverence pays off! :)

-Daniel

Perserverence pays off! :)

Glad to hear that you've made contact, Dan - and coined a new word too, PERSERVERENCE, for perseverance via a server ... :D

Glad to hear that you've made contact, Dan - and coined a new word too, PERSERVERENCE, for perseverance via a server ... :D

Ah, you picked that up! My wife calls my knack for the spontaeous creation of new words 'Danguage'.

:lol:

-Daniel