Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ww1 in hartlepool and west hartlepool

grendav2001

killed, missing in action, local casualty and death notice information may be available in our local newpapers on soldiers from hartlepool and the former town of west hartlepool. the info could be on the lines of the following:

14 june 1916

mr and mrs j bloggs, 14 mulbrown avenue, west hartlepool, have received information that their only son, pte william bloggs, dli, has been severely wounded in the right leg, and is recovering in hospital in france.

if anyone wants to know if there is any info on their kinfolk soldiers from the town then please send a message to me and i will do my best.

grendav2001

Not Hartlepool but nearby Seaton Carew would be grateful for any info on Sgt Curzon Lithgow of the 16th Northumberland Fusiliers KIA 1/7/16.

Bob.

Andy.

private 1917 details await your response to send.

note on above that on the death notice in the paper, like a lot of others, the notice was on the back page in the 'stop press' tucked right in the corner. there is no roll of honour memorium for 1918.

---------------

marriage at st james' church in the former town of west hartlepool on 28 september 1916

john franklin madge aged 26, a corporal in the r.g.a. and son of thomas madge.

address given as russper in sussex.

lily ferguson aged 20 and daughter of john ferguson a foreman bricklayer.

98 musgrave street in west hartlepool.

witnesses were william henry madge and esther ferguson.

Andy.

private 1917 details await your response to send.

note on above that on the death notice in the paper, like a lot of others, the notice was on the back page in the 'stop press' tucked right in the corner. there is no roll of honour memorium for 1918.

---------------

marriage at st james' church in the former town of west hartlepool on 28 september 1916

john franklin madge aged 26, a corporal in the r.g.a. and son of thomas madge.

address given as russper in sussex.

lily ferguson aged 20 and daughter of john ferguson a foreman bricklayer.

98 musgrave street in west hartlepool.

witnesses were william henry madge and esther ferguson.

Thanks very much for this.

One thing I can add is that William Madge lost a hand during the shelling of Hartlepool in December 1914.

If you would like the information I have please send me another PM (I've cleared some room in the mailbox now!!!)

Best wishes.

Andy.

Could you please check for John Edward Hartland, Private 5460 Scots Guards who was kia 14.8.1916, I believe he lived at 37 Middlegate Street, Hartlepool.

John

• 10 years later...
On 13/03/2008 at 15:48, Northern Soul said:

Thanks very much for this.

One thing I can add is that William Madge lost a hand during the shelling of Hartlepool in December 1914.

If you would like the information I have please send me another PM (I've cleared some room in the mailbox now!!!)

Best wishes.

Andy.

This is a very long shot just joined this forum and trying to find out a bit more information on John Franklin Madge, who was a distant relative of mine.

3 minutes ago, KatieQC said:

This is a very long shot just joined this forum and trying to find out a bit more information on John Franklin Madge, who was a distant relative of mine.