Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental abbreviations

philox

I am trying to trace my wife's grandad's war record and although it has been difficult I think i may have found the right chap, however, his medal index card show his regiments as "north'd ges" and "CF hrs". I can't see those abbreviations anywhere else and if it helps I believe he signed up in West Bromwich. his card itself says ct/117 B i would appreciate any help with that also.

Thanks

Welcome to the Forum.

Can you post a scan of the card and then somebody may be able to decipher it for you.

welcome to the forum

or his name and number etc

Hi thanks for the quick responses. I don't have the facility to fax but will try and get the cad up somehow.

Name Thomas Murphy(hence the trouble finding him)

regiments north'd ges........1882

CF hrs 270923

thank you

Here you go....

Northumberland Yeomanry & Corps of Hussars.

Regards

Steve

They are the refererence numbers to the relevant page in the actual Medal Rolls kept at the NA in Kew. The MICs are only index cards to the Medal Roll volumes.

Once again thank you for pointing me in the right direction, it seems the more you dig the bigger the hole here. I have also found a pension record which I presume is his, so does this mean he was a regular soldier or did all men who survived got a pension. Also, worryingly the pension record states 10th battalion KRR although the regimental number is the same 1882.

I dont think every one got a pension - and not all pension records survive

and it doesnt mean he was a regular

the same number 1882 could be in any regiment - if the name matches the number then if its not its a huge concidence

the one on ancesty didnt serve in theatre hence no medal card

enlisted 3.9.14

discharged 12.10.14

do the details match ? Seems a concidence

also note no middle initial

BUT - do you know any other details of your relative ?? The one on ancestry enlisted west bromwich

so id say the one on ancestry is him and NOT the MIC

The details we have are fairly flimsy. We know he came from W.Bromwich, we know he was born in 1895, we know he settled in Rotherham after the war, we think he was a miner before and after the war. We know he won medals and was also presented with a commerative clock. He died in 1968. i had noticed the W but thought that fairly insignificant, I can't see anywhere where it says he was discharged though

I can now see what you mean, thank you. The chap with the pension record is not him, wrong fathers name, it looks as if that is a fantastic coincidence then the regimental number