Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gotha raids

Guest Biplane pilot

Guest Biplane pilot

Greetings, chaps. Glad to be aboard.
I developed a sudden interest in the Gotha raids of 1917-18 (which weren't all Gothas, of course) and am ordering a used copy of Fredette's book. Meanwhile, does anyone have a list of the 20-some day and night raids over London and environs? Many thanks.

Greetings Biplane pilot and chocks away!

My dad alas dead now was 7 when these raids took place and he could remember the ones on Ilford, NE London. Ilford Town Hall showed red and green lights for the raids.

John

Welcome aboard!

Much as I'd like to list the raids, unfortunately I'm somewhat forbidden by lack of time.

I suggest that you might try to obtain or borrow a copy of Cole & Cheeseman's "The Air Defence of Great Britain 1914-1918" published by Putnam in 1984 [iSBN 0 370 30538 8]. This excellent book lists every raid through the War, both airship and aeroplane. The results of the raids are given in detail, as well as information on every RFC/RNAS/RAF aircraft and crew used in defence.

Cheers

Dolphin

There used to be an old RFC aerodrome near to where I used to live.. Fairlop, near Ilford. One wonders if the planes from there flew against the raids in 1917.

It later was a fighter station in WW2, long since gone...

John

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Biplane pilot

Gents: Thank you for your assistance. Additionally, I just located a copy of the 1925 volume covering air raids on GB in a local university library.

Greetings Biplane pilot and chocks away!

My dad alas dead now was 7 when these raids took place and he could remember the ones on Ilford, NE London. Ilford Town Hall showed red and green lights for the raids.

John

My grandfather (who is still alive and well) recalls watching the airship SL-11 that crashed at Cuffley in 1916 burn as it came down. Although only a small child, he sat on his father's shoulders at the whole street turned out to watch it as it burned (they lived in Edmonton North London at the time). Leefe-Robinson won the VC for this, the first airship kill of the war.

Rgds,

Alex.

Guest Steve Seaman

My Grandmother lived in Silver St, Edmonton and I remember her telling me the same story. There was nothing but fields then between North London and Cuffley.

On the subject of Gotha raids and you fancy a guided walk around London follow this linkraids.

I 've been on one with Bruce and he really does know his stuff.

regards

Steve

Guest Biplane pilot

Steve, thanks for the terrific link. I wish I'd known of the walking tour when I was in Britain years ago. What a great idea, especially since the scale of the WW I raids permits identification with specific aircrews as well as Londoners.

My Grandmother lived in Silver St, Edmonton and I remember her telling me the same story. There was nothing but fields then between North London and Cuffley.

Really? What was her name? Any Jollys or Chicks in your family? Some of my family lived in Gilpin Crescent, which alas has long since gone, as is the church where my grandparents got married. FYI there is a memorial at Cuffley commemorating the action.

Rgds,

Alex.

Guest Steve Seaman
Really? What was her name? Any Jollys or Chicks in your family? Some of my family lived in Gilpin Crescent, which alas has long since gone, as is the church where my grandparents got married. FYI there is a memorial at Cuffley commemorating the action.

Rgds,

Alex.

My Nan's name was Emily Gill nee Smith. No Jollys or Chicks.

I know the Zeppelin crew are buried in Potters Bar but where is the memorial in Cuffley?

regards

Steve

I got an EXCELLENT book at the IWM called: The Sky on Fire: The first battle of Britain 1917-1918 ... Smithsonian Institution Press; 1966, 1976

Great little book. Not a picture book at all! There are a number of great assertions here ... one of which was the havoc the air raids caused really did tie up the British War effort to the extent of limiting much of what could go on in Europe .... (okay, Belgium) ... One of the interesting notes was the Germans did an analysis of this and found the havoc created froze the public and gov't to the extent that if they got the chance to do it again, they would. It explains why or one of the reasons why the Germans switched from airfields to cities far beyond the common thoughts of Revenge ... good book.