The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunner Frederick William Smith

Guest Freds Grandson

Guest Freds Grandson

After many hours searching at the NA some years ago, I managed to locate my Grand fathers service record in the un-burnt documents. His record shows his movements and postings as detailed below. Can anyone offer me help in understanding which areas of operation he may have seen action in? Would the "company’s" described be all part of the same battalion? Any suggestions on other related research material I could read? Also F W Smith was married to my Gran during the period he served in Malta, would this be an unaccompanied tour of duty? (Sorry! lots of questions)

27299 Gunner SMITH Frederick William

Royal Regiment Artillery (RGA)

04 Oct 1907 Age 24 years 1 month

04 Oct 1907 Medically examined at Guildford Surrey.

04 Oct 1907 Attestation at Guildford Surrey into RGA, 8 years + 4 years reserve.

08 Oct 1907 Arrived at Dover into 1 Depot RGA

06 Dec 1907 Posted to 47 Company RGA

12 Feb 1908 Posted 100 Company RGA Malta

04 Oct 1909 Awarded Good conduct - Proficiency pay (PP) of 3d.

19 Apr 1912 Posted 11 Company RGA

04 Oct 1912 Awarded Good Conduct

13 May 1915 Posted 46 Company RGA

30 Jul 1914 Posted 40 Company RGA

17 Feb 1915 Posted 29 Siege Battery (Second Army)

11 Oct 1917 Posted 2nd HAG (Heavy Artillery Group)

14 Dec 1917 Posted 217(8)

10 Mar 1919 Transferred to Section “B” Army reserve on DeMob

10 Mar 1919 5 Granville Street Dover Kent.

Artillery units weren't organised in battalions like the infantry. Companies/batterys would be posted to areas rather than units, to support the infantry who were there. So it would appear he was in 5 different companies before the war. Someone I'm sure will know a lot more about his last 2 postings. Possibly the Long Long Trail (at the top of the home page) will give you some information meantime.

Neil

In 1907 No. 1 Depot RGA was located at Dover

47 Company RGA in 1907-1908 was located at Shoeburyness

100 Company RGA from 1908 to 1912 was at Malta

From 1912 to 1915, 11 Company RGA was located at Golden Hill

During 1914-1915, both 40 and 46 Company RGA were part of Dover Garrison

29 Siege Battery, RGA went to the Western Front on 31 August 1915 armed with four 6" Mark VIII Guns. Gunnerr Frederick Smith is listed as an original member of the battery in a nominal roll dated 1st December 1915 and is indicated as "posted" (probably referring to his transfer to 2nd HAG.

I would guess that the "Posted 217(8)" on 14 Dec 1917 most likely refers to 217 Siege Battery, RGA which from 9 Sept 1917 to the end of the war served under 70th HAG.

Regards. Dick Flory

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Freds Grandson
In 1907 No. 1 Depot RGA was located at Dover

47 Company RGA in 1907-1908 was located at Shoeburyness

100 Company RGA from 1908 to 1912 was at Malta

From 1912 to 1915, 11 Company RGA was located at Golden Hill

During 1914-1915, both 40 and 46 Company RGA were part of Dover Garrison

29 Siege Battery, RGA went to the Western Front on 31 August 1915 armed with four 6" Mark VIII Guns. Gunnerr Frederick Smith is listed as an original member of the battery in a nominal roll dated 1st December 1915 and is indicated as "posted" (probably referring to his transfer to 2nd HAG.

I would guess that the "Posted 217(8)" on 14 Dec 1917 most likely refers to 217 Siege Battery, RGA which from 9 Sept 1917 to the end of the war served under 70th HAG.

Regards. Dick Flory

With regard to serving in Malta it was an accompanied posting in the sense that a proportion of married men would be allowed to have their wives with them. There was a scale and it was subject to service and conduct I understand - but I get the feeling that the Army rules as a whole did not necessarily apply to the RGA - possibly because of the fortress nature of their role and more accommodation available?

My grandfather was in Malta at the same period and he travelled there with his wife and growing family.

If any children were born in Malta you might be interested to know that you can get the birth (and marriages?) certificates from the GRO (various Chaplain and Regimental registers apply) which provide some added detail of family location in Malta and the OC etc. The National Archives also has some register books for that period for baptisms and burials (and possibly marriages??).

Finding details of pre-war RGA companies is quite difficult - I am sure that magazines and other details must have been produced but I have found very little. However once the war started you should be able to find the War Diaries for the Batteries (sometimes) but the Heavy Artillery Groups or Heavy Brigades more likely. Batteries sometimes stayed a long time in one HAG/Hy Bde, whilst others moved around a lot so you will need to check which the Battery was with for the whole period but Dick has already given some detail there. Read the Long Trail link detail at top of page to find how to get to the diaries etc. at the Natinal Archives at Kew but PM me if you need help in getting the catalogue references as the search engine is a little selective!

Alan