Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A couple of interesting photos

Kitty VAD

Two pictures I recently picked up, both marked up on the reverse from a press agency.

The first is of a Miss Poppy Ginnett 'The daring flapper' who is taking part in the Officers Circus at Brixton. It says 'miss Ginnett rides these six horses standing on the back of the highest' Apparently she went on to marry one of the Sanger Circus family. I'm fairly sure Poppy served as a VAD. Anyone know more?PoppyGinnett.jpg

The other shows the wedding of Miss Vivienne Rosalienne Fulljames and Mr Robert Prentice. She was a nurse and he as an ambulance driver. This is St Peters church in Southsea.

'The nurses of St John Hospital in Kingston Cross, where the bride was also a nurse formed a unique guard of honour-making an archway of splints and bandages.' Any further info on these two? It doesn't say which branch of nursing service the bride was with.

StJohnWedding.jpg

Sorry, can't help.

Just wanted to say what wonderful photos - so clear in their details.

Thanks for posting!!

Some snippets for you:

Medal card of Fulljames, Vivienne R

Voluntary Aid Detachment

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...Edoc_Id=6287049

Births Q3 1898 FULLJAMES Vivienne Rosaline, Portsea (2b 499)

Marriages Q2 1921 FULLJAMES Vivienne R to PRENTICE Robert, Portsmouth (2b 1080)

1901 census

42 Cottage Grove, Portsmouth

FULLJAMES Gilbert, Head, 44, Pawnbroker & Outfitter (m Q3 1893)

FULLJAMES Edith, Wife, 33 (Edith Marion/Marianne TOTTERDELL, b Q4 1867)

FULLJAMES Marion, Dau, 6 (Marion Ruth, b Q4 1894, m Bernard L LIGHT Q3 1922)

FULLJAMES Reginald, Son, 4 (Reginald Edgar Gilbert, b Q4 1896, m Annie M DAVIES Q2 1922)

FULLJAMES Vivian [sic], Dau, 2

FULLJAMES Graham, Son, 1 (Graham John, b Q1 1900)

FULLJAMES Thomas, Brother, single, 51, Pawnbroker & Jeweller

+ 3 servants

Medal card of Fulljames, Reginald Edgar Gilbert

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...Edoc_Id=2416907

Inns of Court Officers Training Corps 6433 Private

Royal Air Force 6433 Flying Lieutenant

Adrian

• 1 year later...

The wedding photo is of my grandparents. She was an ambulance driver and he was in the Machine gun Corp. My mother has more information but has had difficulty posting on here, I will get her to give you more information through my account

Two pictures I recently picked up, both marked up on the reverse from a press agency.

The first is of a Miss Poppy Ginnett 'The daring flapper' who is taking part in the Officers Circus at Brixton. It says 'miss Ginnett rides these six horses standing on the back of the highest' Apparently she went on to marry one of the Sanger Circus family. I'm fairly sure Poppy served as a VAD. Anyone know more?PoppyGinnett.jpg

The other shows the wedding of Miss Vivienne Rosalienne Fulljames and Mr Robert Prentice. She was a nurse and he as an ambulance driver. This is St Peters church in Southsea.

'The nurses of St John Hospital in Kingston Cross, where the bride was also a nurse formed a unique guard of honour-making an archway of splints and bandages.' Any further info on these two? It doesn't say which branch of nursing service the bride was with.

StJohnWedding.jpg

Great photo's. Hope it encourages other people to post some.

Susan.

• 2 months later...

Prentice,

tried sending you a message but the function is disabled. Can you drop me an email?

katiespitfire@NOSPAMhotmail.com (removing the NOSPAM before you send!)

Kate

• 2 years later...

Hi there,

Poppy GINNETT was a distant cousin. She married George SANGER of the Circus family in St Mark's Church, Lambeth in 1928. Do not know if she was a VAD.

Her father's younger half brother was the well-known artist Louis John GINNETT, a member of the Ditchling artistic community. Though not an official War Artist he did do some interesting sketches and paintings during his war service. He initially volunteered for service in 1915 with other artists from the St John’s Wood Arts Club, serving as a private with the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers. He was made 2nd Lieutenant in the Royal Garrison Artillery in 1916, serving in France, in the128th Seige Battery from January 1917. He was promoted to 1st Lieut. in 1918.

The photo of Poppy no longer appears on the site. I would LOVE a copy. My email address is whitechapelgreen@gmail.com

Many thanks

Jane

Hello Jane

Not sure why you can't see the photo of Poppy as I can see it in the first post. Make another couple of posts here (you need 5) and contact Kitty VAD by personal message using the envelope under the name.

Good luck

Mandy

The picture of Poppy has now appeared, rather than a little box with a red cross in it. May have been slow internet speeds in the evening. Well worth it, what a fantastic picture.

Many thanks,

Jane

• 7 years later...

Hi

Poppy Ginnett is our great-great aunt (she was aunt to my grandad), I can’t see the photo as it has a watermark, would you be happy to send me a copy? I think my grandad would love to see it

Thanks!

On 26/10/2019 at 19:39, Iginn said:

Hi

Poppy Ginnett is our great-great aunt (she was aunt to my grandad), I can’t see the photo as it has a watermark, would you be happy to send me a copy? I think my grandad would love to see it

Thanks!

Hallo Iginn! Unfortunately it's not the watermark, but the photo has fallen foul of photobucket's withdrawal of free hosting since the beginning of this thread. Kitty (original poster) hasn't been on the site for a year or so, but I have sent her a message to alert her to your post.

Welcome to the Forum, by the way!

Best wishes,

seaJane

• 9 months later...

Vivienne Roselyn Fulljames is a great aunt of a friend whose family tree I am working on, husband Robert Prentice is from Strathaven in Lanarkshire, Scotland, the Great War obviously brought this couple together.

She was known as Aunt Lyn interestingly.

I too cannot see the image only a "placeholder " for the image hopefully this can be resolved.

There is also an image of Vivienne on Ancestry in her  wedding dress.

She lived to the ripe old age of 97 and ended her days in Brechin Scotland

Vivienne Fulljames and Rbt Prentice.jpg