Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mackay / Mckay

KAYJAY

hi kayjay

Looking for Info on 764 Pte Alexander George McKay served with The the 15th Battalion AIF Any help would greatly appreciated

Martin

I would be interested in what the Medal Cards tell us about Lieutenant Robert Lindsay Mackay, 11th Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders whose interesting diary is on the internet.

Alan Tucker

Hi all,

I am new to this site but have been researching for many years.

I have all the Medal Index Cards for all the Mackays / Mckays who served in WW1,

(Army and Air Force). I also know all the decorations awarded and all who were casualties and information about many who were wounded.

If anyone out there wants any information about any member of this clan I will be pleased to tell you all I know.

Regards

Kayjay.

KayJay, I have been searching now for 20 years for a relation of Stuart Nichol McKay lost 1940 HMS/m H49, last known address of family Carluke. I believe the family came from Gourock, at least he is commemorated on the Greenock Memorial. I have now `come across' a nephew of his Robert Mckay and have his Email, but it may be old as he does not reply. Any thoughts as to where to go now etc and help in finding him / family would be much appreciated. SadSac DAF RNSM(AWP)

• 1 month later...
hi kayjay

Looking for Info on 764 Pte Alexander George McKay served with The the 15th Battalion AIF Any help would greatly appreciated

Martin

Hi Martin, Sorry for the delay in answering I was away on holiday.

764 Alexander George Mckay.

Enlisted 22/10/14 Embarked 22/12/14, Wounded 27/05/15, Returned to Australia 19/01/16.

Son of Mr Alexander Mackay of Dundagan, Fusifern Line, Queensland.

He was a Farmer and was born in 1892.

His younger brother 765 L/Cpl Thomas Albury Mackay also served in the same Battalion.

Enlisted 22/10/14 Embarked 22/12/14, Wounded 24/06/15, Returned to Australia 01/11/18.

He was a Bank Clerk and was born in 1893.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Ken.

I would be interested in what the Medal Cards tell us about Lieutenant Robert Lindsay Mackay, 11th Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders whose interesting diary is on the internet.

Alan Tucker

Hi Alan,

Lieutenant Robert Lindsay Mackay.

T/2nd Lt. 16/08/15, T/Lt. 01/07/17.

Was 11th Battalion and attached to the 8th Battalion.

Was wounded 06/09/17 (Newspaper date) this is usually about three weeks after the incident.

M.C. 18/10/17 and Bar 15/10/18. (Gazette dates).

Landed in France 05/09/16.

Hope this helps Ken.

• 1 year later...

Kayjay

Wondered if you had any info on the following 3 men from my local war memorial:

Captain Kenneth Mackay M.C

Date of death – 7th November 1918.

Service – 6th / 7th Gordon Highlanders

Service no. – n/a

Place of burial – Etaples Military Cemetery, XL VIII E 2

Aged 27 at date of death. Son of Kenneth and Margaret Mackay (nee Ritchie).

Soldiers Died in the Great War have him in 6th Battalion.

Obituary in the Nairnshire of 12th November 1918 records the following:

‘Died of wounds received 1918. Grandson of Mrs Ritchie, Fairlawn, Seabank Road, Nairn and son to late Kenneth MacKay, Berkley Street, Glasgow. Mentioned in dispatches in March 1918.’

and

Corporal James Mackay

Date of death – 7th November 1914

Service – 2nd Battalion Seaforth Highlanders

Service no. – 185

Place of burial – Unknown. Commemorated on the Ploegsteert Memorial, panel 9

Aged 24 at date of death. Son of Mr. and Mrs. James Mackay, of 5, Portland Terrace, Nairn.

Soldiers Died in the Great War have him as born and enlisted Nairn. Rank given as Acting Corporal.

Obituary in the Nairnshire Telegraph of 21st December 1914 records the following:

‘Killed in action 7th November 1915. Son of Mr James Mackay, 5 Portland Terrace. Died at Ploidsterle Wood, Belgium. Formerly a fishmonger’.

and finally

Private William Mackay

Date of death – 24th March 1918

Service – 5th Battalion Cameron Highlanders

Service no. – S/27503

Place of burial – Sailly-Saillisel British Cemetery, grave III C 3

Aged 32 at date of death. Son of D. and Jessie MacKay, of 6, Brown St., Inverness.

Soldiers Died in the Great War have him as born, enlisted and resident in Nairn.

Obituary in the Nairnshire Telegraph of 16th April 1918 records the following:

‘Died of wounds received 23rd March 1918. Son of Mrs Mackay, Douglas Street, Nairn. Joined 2/4th Cameron Hrs in Inverness before transferred to the 5th.’

Stuart

• 1 month later...

Could you please research Gnr 54029 William McKay 245th Sieg Battery RGA Military Medal gazetted 12th July 1918.

thanks

• 3 months later...

As a new member, I have just come across your post. I have been trying to obtain more information regarding a photograph which includes my father, Harry Lloyd Luccock, 2nd. Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders. The Regimental Sergeant Major has signed as M.Mackay, and I wonder if you have any information regarding him ?

• 10 years later...