Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mackay / Mckay

KAYJAY

Hi Garth- :D Thank you very much for that info, its very helpful, particularly the attestation papers! As noted elsewhere, the spelling of Mackay seems to have some specific variations, something else which I've found most educational, as I've never had the possible variations upon the name adequately explained to me before.

Many thanks,

Hi Mat,

Captain James Edward Mackay.

Attested into 3rd University Company at McGill University on 30th July 1915.

His service number was 475927.

Promoted to 2/LT. 4th OXfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry. 26/01/16,

2/LT.(On Probation) 26/01/16, LT. 26/07/17,

A/Capt.(Additional) 30/06/18, Relinquished. A/Capt. 26/12/18,

T/Capt. (While an Education Officer.) 27/12/18.

Son of Sarah A. F. Mackay of Renfrew, Ontario.

Medal Entitlement Great War Medal and Victory Medal (did not go to France until 1916). He was also Mentioned in Despatches 30/05/18. Awarded the Italian Silver Medal for Gallantry 29/11/18. and Awarded the Military Cross 01/01/19.

He was one of three Mackays promoted from the ranks of the P.P.C.L.I. to be an officer and the only one to survive.

The 4th Ox. & Bucks Light Infantry were part of the 145th (South Midland) Brigade, which was part of the 48th (South Midland) Division.

This division fought in the following engagements.

The battle of Albert 1916, The battle of Bazentin (including the capture of Ovilliers), Pozieres, Ancre, The German Retreat, Langemark, Polygon Wood, Broodseinde and Poelcapelle.

Then on 21/11/1917 The Division moved to Italy, where it took part in the actions on the Asiago Plateau Including the Battle of Asiago and the advance from there afterwards. This division spearheaded the advance.

The Division was demobilised by June 1919.

I hope you find this helpfull.

Regards Ken Mackay.

Hi Garth,

Thanks for Angus Howard Mckay.

Thats another one in his proper place on the Clan records.

Ken..

Attested into 3rd University Company at McGill University on 30th July 1915.

His service number was 475927.

Hi Ken:

Many thanks for James Edward Mackay. It's unusual for him not to be listed in the PPCLI's nominal roll. It fits that he was with the 3rd University Company as they supplied reinforcements to the PPCLI. Do you have any information when he joined the PPCLI in the field in 1916? Do you know when he was struck off strength from the PPCLI?

The additional information is fantastic.

Mat - You can check James Edward Mackay's attestation papers here.

Garth

Ken and Garth: Your efforts re. James Edward Mackay, and indeed so many other soldiers mentioned in this thread, have been absolutely wonderful, and have helped me enormously! Thank you both so much. I'm in the process of obtaining a copy of my grandfather's record of service from the PRO -- waiting on the transatlantic post at this point -- and would be glad to share with you both any info which the record provides, so please let me know.

Also Ken, especially given my family connection to the clan Mackay, members of my family, particularly my mother (JE Mackay's daughter) and I, would love to know more about your project re the Mackay memorial. When you have a moment, could you provide some more info?

Garth, I'm going to speak to JE Mackay's daughter (my mother) and son (my uncle) re the movement from 3rd University CEF to PPCLI to OBLI which you have noted. I believe it had something to do with an unsuccessful attempt by Sam Hughes -- a friend of JE's deceased father -- to steer JE away from frontline service, as JE was the only son of a widowed mother. I may be talking out of school and inaccurately here, so I'll try to get harder info to share.

Once again, thank you both. I'm very grateful to you, and to this forum. :D

Hi Mat:

Very interesting story about your grandfather and Sir Sam. Let me know what information your mother and uncle remember about James and his CEF service.

You can order James Edward Mackay's CEF service records from the National Archives of Canada here for about $25.00 CDN. You'll need to provide the NAC with the following information:

Name: Mackay, James Edward

Regimental number: 475927

Reference: RG 150, Accession 1992-93/166, Box 6929-13

Garth

Hello Garth & Mat,

Garth, I have just looked out Captain James Edward Mackay's M.I.C. and his medal entitlement for B.W.M. & V.M. is on the Ox & Bucks L.I. officers roll. (O&BLI/OFF/140 Page 15C) So I think he did not serve in the field with the P.P.C.L.I. as his M.I.C. states (by ommission of an entitlement to a 1915 Star) that he did not go to France until 1916.

As he was promoted to 2/lt. in the 4th Ox & Bucks L.I. on 26/01/1916. It is highly probable that he went to France with them, this would probably explain why he does not show on the P.P.C.L.I. roll. His card does not state P.P.C.L.I. but 11th Canadian Infantry and has the notation emblems, which means that his medals were issued with the M.I.D. oakleaf.

Mat, An interesting little story for you, there were only two other Mackays who served with the Ox & Bucks L.I. in WW1. One was a Private John Mckay who obviously had an interesting time as his entitlement to a 1915 Star was forfeited for "desertion" but was later restored and he went on to receive the other pair and was later demobilised as a Class Z reserve, which means fit for further service if required. I think he was probably badly shaken during his first engagement but that a friendly officer spoke up for him and he was given a second chance and "came good" as they say.

The other was an Alexander P. Mckay who had previously served with the Army Service Corps.

As regards the Clan Mackay database this is a series of Excel files for each Regiment, Corps and Unit (British and Allies) that any Mackay served with in WW1.

There is also a Clan Mackay Memorial Record of Sacrifice giving a day by day account of the clan members lost on that day, and giving details of which service they served in, the engagement or event that they were lost in and next of kin and memorial details.

All the files have been passed to the Clan Mackay Society in Scotland for the Clan Records and a copy will be available for viewing at the Clan Mackay Museum in Bettyhill, Sutherland. These will be updated as further research becomes available.

If you would like a copy of any of the above contact me off site (go to the members section at the top of the page) and I will see what I can do.

Regards Ken.

Hi Ken:

Here's the list of McKay/MacKay's from the 72nd Battalion (Seaforth Highlanders of Canada). Their history is 'History Of The 72nd Canadian Infantry Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders Of Canada' compiled and edited by Bernard McEvory and Captain A. H. Finlay, M.C. and published in 1920. Additional information is from the National Archives of Canada and the CWGC.

From the 72nd Bn. history:

Name: Mackay Angus (note - lower case 'k' used in last name)

Regimental number: 129341

Regimental history: France August 13, 1916; Left battalion sick November 28, 1916; Returned to battalion June 7, 1918; DOW August 9, 1918

Awards: Nil

From the NAC:

Date born: April 8, 1877

Date enlisted: September 9, 1915

Original unit: 72nd Battalion

Attestation papers are here.

From the CWGC:

Date of death: August 9, 1918

Cemetery: Hillside Cemetery, Le Quesnel

Casualty details are here.

Name: McKay, Alexander

Regimental number: 2020845

Regimental history: France June 7, 1918; Left battalion sick December 29, 1918

From the NAC:

Date born: April 11, 1891

Date enlisted: January 10, 1918

Original unit: 1st Depot Battalion, B.C. Regiment

Name: Mackay, George Bruce Peter (note - lower case 'k' used in last name)

Regimental number: 688197

Regimental history: France April 4, 1917; Left battalion sick October 14, 1917

From the NAC:

Date born: May 13, 1894

Date enlisted: May 8, 1916

Original unit: 172nd Battalion

Name: McKay, George Hugh

Regimental number: 1015181

Regimental history: France May 23, 1917

From the NAC:

Date born: June 28, 1874

Date enlisted: March 31, 1916

Original unit: 231st Battalion

Name: McKay, William

Regimental number: 129955

Regimental history: France August 13, 1916; KIA August 30, 1917

From the NAC:

Date born: June 6, 1880

Date enlisted: October 7, 1915

Original unit: 72nd Battalion

From the CWGC:

Date of death: August 30, 1917

Cemetery: Villers Station Cemetery, Villers-Au-Bois

Casualty details are here.

Name: Mackay Norman D'Arcy (note - lower case 'k' used in last name)

Regimental number: 2139729

Regimental history: France November 9, 1918

From the NAC:

Date born: February 19, 1895

Date enlisted: May 16, 1918

Original unit: 2nd Depot Battalion, B.C. Regiment (Number 2 Company)

Name: McKay, Orville Albert

Regimental number: 2137925

Regimental history: France August 16, 1918

Awards: M.M., Cambrai "B. W." operation, September-October 1918

From the NAC:

Date born: December 17, 1896

Date enlisted: January 7, 1918

Original unit: 2nd Depot Battalion, B.C. Regiment (Number 2 Company)

Garth

Hi Garth,

Thanks for the 72nd Battalion.

Four Scots born men in this seven.

129341 Sgt Angus from the village of Callanish, in the Parish of Uig, on the Isle of Lewis. His Brother John was a Sergeant Major in the Cameron Highlanders.

129955 Pte William was from the town of Inverness.

1015181 CQMS George Hugh from the village of Dailly in Ayrshire.

and 2020845 Pte Alexander from the village of Cairnie in Abrdeenshire.

One other interesting point, I have 688197 Pte George Bruce Peter as also winning the M.M. on 17/09/1917 with this Battalion as well as 2137925 L/Cpl Orville Albert.

Ken.

One other interesting point, I have 688197 Pte George Bruce Peter as also winning the M.M. on 17/09/1917 with this Battalion as well as 2137925 L/Cpl Orville Albert.

Hi Ken:

You're absolutely correct on 688197 Pte. George Bruce Peter Mackay:

M.M., La Coulotte-Avion, June-July, 1917.

Sorry I missed him. He left battalion sick October 14, 1917. Any idea what happened to him? Did he join another battalion or was he struck off strength from the CEF?

Thanks for the additional information on 129341 Angus Mackay. I noticed he stated his place of birth was Stornoway, so I had him pegged from the Isle of Lewis. Knowing he came from Callanish adds interest as we stayed at Callanish for five days. We spent the time visiting 11 of the stone circles (another one of my passions) and monoliths on Lewis.

As a point of interest, Stornoway is the name of the residence of Canada's leader of the official opposition in Ottawa and has a link to the Isle of Lewis. From the National Capital Commission's web site:

This house was built in 1914 for Asconio J. Major, an Ottawa grocer. It was given the name “Stornoway” by its next residents, the Perley Robertsons, after the ancestral home of the Perley family in the Outer Hebrides. Stornoway is known for its role as a refuge during the Second World War for Crown Princess Juliana of the Netherlands and her daughters, one of whom was born in Ottawa.

The house became a residence for the Official Leader of the Opposition in 1950, after concerned citizens raised money for this purpose. For twenty years, it was maintained by donations; in 1970, it was acquired by the Government of Canada for one dollar.

Garth

Hi Garth,

I don't have any further information on 688197 G.B.P. Mackay after September 1917.

I looked up the name Perley in the 1881 Census CD Rom. No person by that surname in the Highlands in 1881. No Perley Robertson.

There were 293 Robertsons in Ross & Cromarty.

I guess they must all have emigrated to Canada.

Ken.

Hi Garth,

Can you tell me anything about 2 Guys killed on the same day 19/05/1918 at the 1st Canadian General Hospital in Etaples.

Cpl 34491 Albert Victor Mackay & Pte 211141 Chargles Gordon Mckay both aged 23 and both were serving with the medical corps.

Was the hospital bombed or shelled.

Ken.

Hello Ken

Could I trouble you to look up an MiC for the following Mackays? I am especially interested in their medal entitlement and service in any other units.

M300273 Pte E D MACKAY ASC

M2/052834 PTE D A MACKAY ASC

88922 SPR D A MACKAY RE

Thanks for this and for your help in the past,

Richard

(One of the Clan! :) )

Hi Ken:

34491 Albert Victor Mackay

Original unit: 1st Canadian General Hospital

Disposition: KIA May 19, 1918

Attestation papers: here

211141 Charles Gordon McKay

Original unit: 98th Infantry Battalion

Disposition: KIA May 19, 1918

From the 1st Canadian General Hospital's war diary it appears there was an air raid at about 10:00 PM. Attached is the entry for May 19.

post-1-1082454613.jpg

Hi Guys,

Garth,

What can I say - you've done it again.

Richard,

M/300273 Pte E D Mackay - only entitled to G.W.M. & V.M. No other service or Serial Numbers.

M2/052834 Pte D A Mackay - Went to France 17/04/1915. Entitled to 1915 Trio.

Discharged to Class Z Reserve 15/03/1919. No other service or serial numbers.

88922 Sapper D A Mckay - Served with 56th Field Company. K.I.A. 14/07/1916 Age 44. Only entitled to G.W.M. & V.M. No other service or Serial Number.

Son of the late Mr. & Mrs. Alexander Mckay of Dundee.

Husband of Effie Sharp Cran (Formerly Mckay) of 24 Dudhope Crescent Road, Dundee.

Buried Caterpillar Valley Cemetery, Longueval, Somme, France. Grave XV.C.6.

Ken.

Thanks Ken; when I get the service papers - if they exist - I'll pass on the details to you.

Cheers

Richard

Hi Ken:

Here's six more men from your clan. The nice thing is there are photos of five of them. They all originally enlisted in the 76th Infantry Battalion. The 76th was later absorbed by the 36th Battalion who was later later absorbed by the 3rd Reserve Battalion. The information and photos comes from 'Historical Record Of The 76th Overseas Battalion Of The Canadian Expeditionary Force 1915-1916' compiled by the Rev. E. R. J. Biggs and the National Archives of Canada.

I'll start with Edmund Ethelbert McKay, who has no photo.

Name: MacKay, Edmund Ethelbert

Regimental Number: 141735

Original Unit: 76th Battalion

Date of birth: Feruary 26, 1887

Date of enlistment: July 27, 1915

Disposition: Unknown

1/6

Garth

Name: Mackay, Angus (Note - the NAC misspells his name McKay)

Regimental Number: 141095

Original unit: 76th Battalion, Machine Gun Section

Date of birth: May 5, 1892

Date of enlistment: August 17, 1915

Disposition: KIA November 13, 1917 as a member of the 8th Machine Gun Company, rank Lance Corporal

From the CWGC

Remembered at the Ypres (menin Gate) Memorial

Details: here

2/6

post-1-1082879179.jpg

Name: MacKay, Robert

Regimental Number: 643287

Original Unit: 76th Battalion, 9th Platoon

Date of birth: August 15, 1880

Date of enlistment: January 31, 1916

Original unit: 157th Battalion

3/6

post-1-1082879319.jpg

Name: McKay, Howard Hamilton

Regimental Number: 141355

Original unit: 76th Battalion, 5th Platoon

Date of birth: June 16, 1893

Date of enlistment: July 27, 1915

4/6

post-1-1082879424.jpg

Name: McKay, Robert Roy

Regimental Number: None

Original unit: 76th Battalion, 6th Platoon

Active Militia: 91st Regiment, Lieutenant (Gazetted) May 19, 1915

Date of birth: November 19, 1894

Date of enlistment: September 16, 1915

Note: NAC shows rank as Captain, however second attestation paper indicates rank as Lieutenant

5/6

post-1-1082879679.jpg

Name: McKay, William Stewart

Regimental Number: 142288

Original Unit: 76th Battalion, 14th Platoon

Date of birth: March 25, 1895

Date of enlistment: September 15, 1915

6/6

post-1-1082879789.jpg

Hi Garth,

Thanks for the information on the 76th Battalion guys.

I have a little more on one of them for you.

Sgt. 141355 Howard Hamiltom McKay was K.I.A. 20/09/1916 with the 4th Battalion, age 23 at the battle of Flers-Coucelette I believe.

He is buried at Adanac Military Cemetery on the Somme.

Regards Ken.

• 1 month later...

Ken, whilst searching for other things at our NAC, I found this fellow, who you perhaps already know about. The spelling error may have hidden him from you.

MCKY , ROBERT ERNEST 652277 RG 150, Box 6936 - 18

Cheers,

Peter in Vancouver

Hi Ken:

Here's some pre-war background material on four men from your clan. They all worked for the Bank of Montreal and are listed in the book 'Memorial Of The Great War 1914-1918: A Record Of Service' published in 1921. The following entries are quoted from the book:

Hugh MacKay

Second Lieutenant, Royal Air Force

Enlisted in November, 1917, in the Royal Flying Corps in which he received his Commission. He went to France in November, 1918.

Lionel F. X. J. MacKay

Corporal, 2nd Quebec Depot Battalion

Volunteered for service in May, 1918. He served in Canada with the 2nd Depot Battalion, 2nd Quebec Regiment.

William Edwin MacKay

Private, Vancouver Depot Battalion

Enlisted in April, 1918, as a Private in the Vancouver Depot Battalion, Canadian Infantry. He was in training when the war ended.

Angus Roy McKay

Private, C.A.M.C., C.E.F.

Enlisted in 1917 as a Private in the Canadian Army Medical Corps with which he served overseas until the end of the war.

Garth