Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any info from this picture please ?

Boydo

The picture scanned well so I hope it can assist someone. I am hoping this picture will help me in my quest to finding out more about my my Great Uncle called Roland or Rowland Savage from Northern Ireland. Hope someone can help me here. I have no medals or anything associated to him apart for this photograph. Any insight from the picture will be much appreciated.

Thanks

ab03cf31.jpg

Hi Boyd,

Roland Savage was a Royal Engineer. The photo looks like it was taken post 1918 as he is sporting 4 overseas service stripes (1915-1918) if there were a darker on at the bottom this would have been for 1914. Not sure about the shoulder patch, it could be a divisional patch. Hope it helps,

cheers, Jon

Royal Engineers, Field Service Marching Order and four overseas chevrons all the same colour so overseas 1915, 1916, 1917, 1918 and the photo probably taken after hostilites had ceased. I am sure that others will have more to add.

I would guess he is Royal Engineers friom the cap dage and an RE on the shoulder I think - the 4 chevrons on the right arm indicate 4 years overseas service 1915-16-17-18 I guess -- so the photo is probably late in the War .. or after .............

someone should be able to identify the shoulder flash (G?) .. there is a Roland Savage Royal Engineers medal card listed .. service number 41930

theres a start

david

ab03cf31.jpg

There are no less than four Rowland Savage(s) on the Ulster Covenant online. You can view the various signatures and check out potential addresses by going here:-

http://applications.proni.gov.uk/UlsterCovenant/Search.aspx

key in Savage and Rowland (it may not work so you'll have to wade through 'em all, but trust me there ARE four with the first name Rowland)!

British Battle Insignia 1914-1918 by Mike Chappell (Osprey) tells us that "Artillery, sappers, medical units, etc. of the Guards Division wore coloured shields with a brass "G" pinned through" - one identical to Rolands is illustrated - so he was a sapper in the Guards Division.

Steve.

Hi

The shield with the G indicates he was with one of the Field Companies that supported the Guards Division.

regards

John

• 3 weeks later...

Many many thanks for the feedback. All of it is news to me. Desmond, ta for the Ulster Convent link. Founds loads of relatives on it including my grand dad. Wonderful stuff.

Thanks to all your assistance, I've managed to get Roland Savages medal card from national archives. Can anyone who is experienced with these cards enlighten me about what is actually recorded on the item below.

Thanks

fff1061d.jpg

Sapper 41930, Royal Engineers

Landed in France 23 August 1915

Qualified for 1914-15 Star, British War and Victory Medals (references to rolls given in box top right)

Discharged to Class Z Army Reserve no date given

Medals seem to have been returned March 1920 for a change to regimental number

In which case he served with either: 55, 75 or 76 Field Companies or the Guards Divisional Signal Company, which joined the Guards Division from 16th (Irish) Division on 18.8.15

TR

Many thanks

Can anyone give me the correct page link in my attempt to ascertain his service record from national archives as i find it very confusing to go through.

Thank

Boyd