Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sea France

trenchtrotter

Hi all,

Travelling to France at weekend. Anyone had experience recently of how Sea Frances policy of transferring customers is going. I hope the strike is over by the time I travel but Im not confident. How is access to Dover?

Hope someone has some knowledge or advice.

TT

TT check their website, just search on Sea France. Unfortuneatly they are currently announcing all services suspended for at least 48 hours (unless something happens to settle in the meantime) and advise you to ring a number. Call them -you may be able to get a refund?? Rebook with P&O or the Tunnel??SG

Can I also suggest Norfolk Line (norfolkline.com). I have a return journey in April booked for just £42 in total. I just checked the website and the offer period lasts until 18.03.08. They sail Dover - Dunkerque.

*I am in no way afilitated with Norfolk Line by the way :)

Just a word of advice from one who lives near Dover, however you decide to cross the channel. "Operation Stack" the process whereby 1000's of lorries are parked on the M20 during ferry disruption had as of last night been running for 14 days. It might be over today, tomorrow whenever, but is very difficult to predict. This means detours for cars which can add 40 minutes or so to your journey time. Also there are major roadworks in Dover - so do allow plenty of time for your journey to the port.

I went over to Ypres on Tuesday via the Tunnel for the day.

The deviation mentioned above will add time as stated. As I was travelling at 6am there was no real congestion caused by Operation Stack but, when I returned later that night, the lorry queue was at least ten miles long and blocked the motorway well west of the Maidstone service area as they waited to enter the Operation Stack controlled area. Chaos for non-lorry drivers.

However, once past the Stack queue, there were no hold ups at the tunnel itself (very quiet in fact).

The queues on the French side were even worse and without the same effective marshalling by the police as was evident in the UK. Bit of a free-for-all with exit slip roads blocked all over the place!

Thanks chaps,

Spoke to SF and they state they are transferring customers to other operators with some delays but as I am travelling 0630 hope it wont be too bad.

TT

Just heard that strike is over, services resuming late today and should be back to normal by Saturday.

bon voyage

cheers Martin B

Yes the local news reported tonight that the strike is over and Operation Stack has ended after 17 days. Have a great trip