Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

5th Horseman

Der Weltkrieg 1914-1918 Band 13 und 14

The Prussian

The question is, how many remains until today

charlie2

Tucked away in my copy of Vol 1 was a note listing the numbers sold of some of the volumes

Band 1 - 29677

Band 2 - 29295

Band 3 - 14370

Band 4 - 14033

Band 13 - 500 (1500 printed during the war, but nearly all burned during the war)

Band 14 - 500 ( Last sales of Band 13/14 in 1975)

Feldeisenbahnwesen - 6355

Schlachtenreihe (Schlachten des Weltkrieges) 40 - 50000

The Prussian

That´s why you can get vol. 1 for about 30€...

We also see, the later the war, the less pages were printed...

From vol. 1 to vol. 14 we have:

1914: 40%

1915: 21%

1916: 15%

1917: 13%

1918: 11%

Edited by The Prussian

charlie2

I think what one has to bear in mind is that when the two volumes were released is that people had enough to do rebuilding their lives and country after ww2. The volumes would have only appealed to perhaps ex officers etc who had served in WW1 who had money to spare. What did they cost back then - about DM100 each? The people who bought them back then are in all probability dead. Interest in WW1 Germany in the 60s, 70s & 80s probably was even less than it is now, which isn‘t apart from a small group people, very much above zero. I suspect a lot have ended up in the bin after the owner died. What will happen to your copies Andy when you are called to the final Morgenappell?

I wonder how they would sell today if they were reprinted.

The Prussian

A good questions... But heroes live long, but legends never die...

I´m 52 so I´ve got enough time. But I think, in that case, I will give my collection the "Gesellschaft für Heereskunde"

MartH

Very interesting print numbers and I will look at the book by Markus Pohlmann if he sheds light on the cost of the 1956 copies. 

Some thoughts about the interest in the 1960's and 1970's in the German campaigns of 1917 and 1918, my grandfather who had served in the 27 Jaegers, retired from running the Finnish gun copy Sako in the early 1970's. He was asked to do a fact finding mission into British armaments  which led to the purchase of Hawks, Blowpipes etc. His fact finding involved several weeks of demos and visits, some with my mother (professional translator) many to British bases and training grounds  in Germany. He was a retired colonel and was asked to bring and wear all his medals, including Nazi era ones he got. When in Germany he was feted in the mess's by British and German Units because in the midst of the cold war here was a man who was part of an armed force that had in 1917/18 forced Russia (German) to sue for peace and in 1944 (Finnis) fought the Russians to a standstill, and ended up giving several lectures to men and officers who were keen to learn all about fighting Russians. At one do going through his medals they then realised he had also advised and was with the Polish Forces in the early 20's when they won, and there was even more interest. 

So there was interest in the Russian campaign of 1917 but it was more from professional Nato soldiers and that is Volume 13 of Der Weltkrieg.

The Prussian

Hi Mark!

Very interesting story about your grandpa! Thanks for sharing!

I've got Pöhlmanns book. He writes about the history of German military history writings, but there are no prices of the 56' edition

charlie2

Thanks Mart, very interesting. Its as well your Grandfather was feted by the men of the German units pre „von der Leyen“ and „AKK“ otherwise there would be a queue outside the employment office.

The Prussian
14 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

Thanks Mart, very interesting. Its as well your Grandfather was feted by the men of the German units pre „von der Leyen“ and „AKK“ otherwise there would be a queue outside the employment office.

:D

MartH
11 hours ago, charlie2 said:

Yes, especially since he had an award of Deutscher Adlerorden mit Stern (1936) and wore it. I think AKK and von der Leyen might have even have dumped them in the Baltic :huh:.