5th Horseman

Well if you want a copy from :o

image.png.3b2b9ed01e3b2042e9754ecc36927bf2.png

Its number 136 

image.png.0ecfe9e836015302eadecde44886c023.png

As looted!

Wow! That's great!

I really wonder why I'm "numberless"

Maybe mine ain't from the 1500, but one that came back into stock and survived the raids? No idea...

Edited by The Prussian

21 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Wow! That's great!

I really wonder why I'm "numberless"

Maybe mine ain't from the 1500, but one that came back into stock and survived the raids? No idea...

I don't, and maybe yours is one of the came back into the stock and survived the raids. Clearly the one I have survived the raids being a reference copy of the  Kriegsgechichtlichen Forschungsanstalt dur Heeres .

Hard to say, but the most important thing is that we've got two 1942 volumes!

Hi Russ!

Strandfest was on July 10, 1917.

There is not a lot written in vol.13. Only a few sentences. Nothing in detail. Unfortunately

2 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Hard to say, but the most important thing is that we've got two 1942 volumes!

Yes !

Great, Charlie!!! :thumbsup:

Numberless vs. Numbers: 2:1 :D

That´s a reason to research, "why"

Edited by The Prussian

That´s right! I forgot the 9... (because it´s probably not in OUR hands...)

DRAW

But I really like to know, how many volumes of 13 and 14 are still "alive"

Rockers wear a 1% patch. What could we wear? 1:D

So Footnote 2 of the Preface to Volume 13 1956 edition say copy Number 9 is at the Bundesarhiv.

What we know is that 1,500 copies bound were marked up "Nur zum  Dienstgebrauch!" at the request of the Foreign Office and a large number were issued 1,000 to 1,200 and the remaining ones probably destroyed in the RAF bombing in April 1945. E.S Mittler & Son say the "rest" were also destroyed. (1956 Preface to Volume 13.)

We only know the numbering of the copies from Number 9, and Number 136, but in most armies when you issue for Official Use Only, most are numbered so you can say who got what copy.

The 56 volumes were don in print runs of 500.  I would say at least 400 survived of each, many in libraries, 

Does this make sense?

Hello!

Yes, I think they had only Nr.9 in 1956 to produce the 500 copies. That´s possible. But I have seen so less volumes of 13 and 14, that I don´t know, how many survived.

It´s possible that 500 pieces still exist from the ´56 volume, but what about the ´42 edition? I assume, less than 200.

Like vol. 14. Maybe 100 left? I don´t know.

What about the mapcase of vol. 14? Is it a kind of a "Holy Grail"? I´ve never seen another edition but mine. No joke...

42 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Hello!

Yes, I think they had only Nr.9 in 1956 to produce the 500 copies. That´s possible. But I have seen so less volumes of 13 and 14, that I don´t know, how many survived.

It´s possible that 500 pieces still exist from the ´56 volume, but what about the ´42 edition? I assume, less than 200.

Like vol. 14. Maybe 100 left? I don´t know.

What about the mapcase of vol. 14? Is it a kind of a "Holy Grail"? I´ve never seen another edition but mine. No joke...

Vol 14 was not published in 1944, there were some proof copies made, 5 various stages of proofs were used to produce the 1956 first public edition, one copy of the original map volume and the 3 or 4 photographic copies made by H M Cole for the occupying powers.

We also know that in the Second World War there was a lot of paper reclamation, so of the 1,200 1942 Vol. 13' many would have been pulped. 

Several sets have been sold with the map part of Volume 14 and if IRC they were originally sold together. I have seen seen several sets with the maps in libraries. 

I have a 1956 map volume and one of the Photographic copies of Vol. 14 done by H M Cole.

Yes, that´s clear. Vol. 14 came out in 1956. But the people didn´t want to buy it. The last copies were sold in 1975...

9 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Yes, that´s clear. Vol. 14 came out in 1956. But the people didn´t want to buy it. The last copies were sold in 1975...

The last copies of the 500 were sold in 1975, does that mean all 500?

Were the text volume and mapcase sold separately or did they come as a set? Would one of you post a photo of an opened mapcase showing how the maps fit in please.

Edited by charlie2

On 29/01/2020 at 09:51, The Prussian said:

What could we wear? 1‰ :D

Isn‘t that your blood alcohol level on a Friday night?:D:D

As regards the numbered v unnumbered vol 13, the one sold on Booklooker two days ago didn‘t have a number either. 3:2

Edited by charlie2

1‰ ? That´s the breakfast value...:D

Well, that´s it! Nice mapcase!!!!! There are 45 "enclosures", maps and tables

1 hour ago, MartH said:

The last copies of the 500 were sold in 1975, does that mean all 500?

I don´t know, but I think so. Maybe 450 in the late 50s and the rest in the 70s. But I don´t have more infos

Thanks Mart, it looks a very nice example, I thought it would maybe be similar to the Nordsee 5 map case.

4 hours ago, The Prussian said:

1‰ ? That´s the breakfast value...:D

Well, that´s it! Nice mapcase!!!!! There are 45 "enclosures", maps and tables

I don´t know, but I think so. Maybe 450 in the late 50s and the rest in the 70s. But I don´t have more infos

So in 1956 102 of Vol 13 and 65 of Vol 14 were sold, it took til 1975 to sell them all.

4 hours ago, The Prussian said:

That's not a lot...

Think how many were given as review copies and gifts!